What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

Got rear-ended back in December, minor damage, scratches, ultrasonic transducer got pushed through bumper cover, pad buckled and split (pieces missing). Goes in tomorrow to Lincoln dealer for fix. $780. Tricolor platinum paint (what little is needed) was $123. Paint labor is $225. The little bracket that holds the transducer in place is $63. New trim pad is $79. Hate to think what it would have been had it been serious. (Fella that hit me was in a hurry and offered me $40 to forget it. Lol.)

I like to flush/drain/fill all fluids whenever I buy a used car. Got my '11 Ltd AWD a few months ago and finally got around to doing the PS fluid. I used MacT's method of sucking it out with a turkey baster, refill with new, drive around, repeat until fluid is nice and red. I must say that my fluid was much more brown that I thought it would be. The car has about 65k miles on it and I am sure that the fluid had never been changed, so I am glad I did it.

This weekend is ATF then PTU.

• Like 1

Did oil change today, first one I've done. OMFG!!! The tech must have put the drain bolt on with an air wrench!! Surprised they didn't crack the case. Would not budge with a ratchet and was afraid I might round the bolt. Then I used a regular 15mm box end.. not a chance. I thought I was going to have to put a piece of pipe on the end of the wrench to get some more leverage, or even break out my air wrench. Finally I used a long reach box end and with one mighty pull I was able to get it to turn a bit. Then with all I had, I finally loosened it up. Man, I like to smack the guy that did that! I bought the car at a Lexus dealer and I have half a mind to go back and complain! Prolly do no good.

At any rate, I used Mobil-1 5w-20 Hi-Mileage full synth and a Mobil-1 Extended Performance filter. Reset the OLM to 50% as I intend to go 5000 mile intervals. Also, I installed a Fumoto Qwik Valve to make things a bit easier next time I do an oil change.

That is all - beer and cigar time now.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Did front brakes today. Rears are tomorrow. Used the PowerStop KOE5254 4 Wheel pads+rotors kit from AutoAnything. With misc materials and such it came to $253.90. A little less once I take the rotors to a recycler, usually get a few buck for each one. I did buy a rear caliper compression tool (the little cube with the notches) as I just didn't feel like running back and forth to AutoZone with the rental kit. The car is a DD about 60/40 street/highway so the PowerStop OEM replacement kit should be just fine. No real heavy duty hauling or towing. Planning a trip from Dallas to Knoxville next month (1700mi round trip) and wanted to get them done. Had about 70k on the showroom set so not too bad out of the OEMs.

Besides, baby gotta' have new shoes!

Still want to do black exhaust tips and roof rails.

• Like 1

Got the rear brakes done today. Everything went pretty smoothly other than the *!@$%# PITA set screw on the rotor. Neither would budge with my impact wrench or a breaker bar. I actually stripped the first one with the torx #30. I had to drill it out. And the other side I didn't even attempt to remove it, I just drilled it. Wasn't really that hard, just needed to make sure I didn't penetrate anything on the back side. Many thanks to MacT for his instructional videos, especially the one about the Low Freq Noise Dampener.

I also took a look at the exhaust tips while I was under there. They are welded on. I'm not going to mess with them. I don't need black exhaust tips bad enough to cut them off and weld on new ones. Maybe I'll paint them with hi-temp black, but for the time being I'll live with the chrome.

Edited by chefduane

Did a simple drain and refill on the RDU with Valvoline 80w-90 Hi-Performance gear lube. Used the transfer pump method and then had a bottle pump that fit on the new bottle. Took about an hour including running to the store. The bottle said "Limited Slip" on it and I though I had gotten the wrong lube, but doing some research I determined that LSD gear lube is ok in the Edge RDU. Apparently, you can use LSD lube in a non-LSD rear end, but if you have an LSD differential you MUST use LSD lube and a friction modifier if required.

At any rate, I have now drained/refilled/replaced all fluids in the car since I bought it in Sept. Coolant, oil&filter, ATF, PS fluid, brake fluid, and RDU with premium fluids and full synth whenever possible. PTU is tomorrow in my local shop. I know all this is probably overkill but I just like to 'benchmark' a used car whenever I purchase one. Along with new pads & rotors, AEM DryFlo airfilter, K&N cabin filter, and painting the grill tux black, I think I'm good to go. That is, of course, until I find something else to do! Maybe a MAF cleaning, shocks and struts... nitrogen tire fill??

• Like 1

Interesting website discussing the advantages and disadvantages of using nitrogen in tires. (Test results, studies, etc.)

Spoiler: not worth the cost unless your driving a race car or preserving and classic for years and doesn't get driven much.

http://www.tirebuyer.com/education/nitrogen-vs-air

Exactly. There are benefits but they're so miniscule for normal driving they're not worth considering.

• Like 1

Got the PTU changed today by my local shop. $98.82 with a tire rotation thrown in. They used Valvoline 75w-140 synthetic. That was the last thing to get done other than an oil/filter in about 4500 miles. Glad to get it done. Prolly do a yearly or 30k schedule from now on.

.... and I was just kiddin' about the nitrogen in the tires. Actually sounds pretty sill to me. :dance:

• Like 1