What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

- Put touch-up paint on a silver dollar size patch of rust just over the rear passenger tire.

- Replaced the air filter with a Fram.

- Cleaned out the inside and scrubbed all the Michigan salt crud off the floor mats.

- Ran it through the car wash and filled it up.

Both rear fenders are rusting quickly right above the tires, not good...

• Like 1

- Replaced the air filter with a Fram.

Personally I dont trust Fram. Feel it's best to use Motorcraft. Esp true of oil filters

Both rear fenders are rusting quickly right above the tires, not good...

This doesn't sound good. Is the rust coming from behind or surface rust? If it were me, I'd run it through a local body shop and have it taken down to bare metal, recorded with zinc and the repaired. I would want to get ahead of this, esp with Michigan highway salt. Locally here in N. Indiana they switched to salt slurry. Really hard on cars.
  • Like 1

When I change oil it is always Motorcraft 5W-20 Semi-Synthetic and Motorcraft filters from Wally World (about $23ish total out the door). I agree, I am not a fan of the Fram oil filters based on all I have read. I did quite a bit of reading on their air filters and compared them to others I have used in the past Wix/STP/Purolater/etc. I am able to get the Fram's for roughly $8 out the door. I am happy enough with their quality on these. (Note, I have thought about starting a thread in our forum titled the "Frugal Maintainer" where ideas are shared on maintaining our Edge's with an eye toward cost. No better feeling then maintaining/fixing your ride yourself and saving some $$$ in the processing. More on that later).

I will post some pictures of the rust I have on my 09. It has had very good care (garage/hand washes/wax, etc.). However, I am in the rust belt (lower southwest Michigan), and it is getting pretty bad on my Edge. I have surface rust over both rear tires and complete rust through under the hood. With 200,000 miles on it and it being 8 years old, I don't think it is worth the $$$ to get it all fixed (although I do really like the car).

• Like 1

(Note, I have thought about starting a thread in our forum titled the "Frugal Maintainer" where ideas are shared on maintaining our Edge's with an eye toward cost. No better feeling then maintaining/fixing your ride yourself and saving some $$$ in the processing. More on that later).

If you have never

Visited this sitd, believe you would find it interesting. Www.Bobistheoklguy.com

Forums covering oil, filtets, lubrication, etc.

I will post some pictures of the rust I have on my 09. It has had very good care (garage/hand washes/wax, etc.). However, I am in the rust belt (lower southwest Michigan), and it is getting pretty bad on my Edge. I have surface rust over both rear tires and complete rust through under the hood. With 200,000 miles on it and it being 8 years old, I don't think it is worth the $$$ to get it all fixed (although I do really like the car).

I had a lot of rust repaired on a 98 Mercury Sable I owned. Think I put about $1800 in it; gave it an extra two years, maybe not worth it, but I liked the car (smooth and confortable) and didn't want car payments at that time.

I would have a good look under the car first. Fenders, hood, no biggie to have repaired. But if the car is going bad underneath, it's a losing battle. One place to look (that's often overlooked) is up at the top of the shock towers.

Yes, Hermans, I follow MAC religiously and watch most all of his videos. I have learned a great deal from him. That is what actually gave me the idea for the "Frugal Maintainer". Perhaps a bit of a contrast to MAC (contrast is likely the wrong word). But you get the idea. How can we keep our Edge's in good shape without braking the bank. Understanding that we all might take different approaches and that is ok, but sharing what we do so others can learn/benefit.

I have visited BobIsTheOilGuy. Learned a great deal about the oil filters and oil, etc. I was disappointed when his site first came up and Fram did so poorly. Back in the 70s/80s Fram was all I used (thanks Dad...). But Dad also wanted us kids to use Shell Fire and Ice oil (do they even make that any more???). That was the good oil in his day.

Enigma, I had a 95 and 01 Taurus and an 03 Sable. I am very familiar with the rust you likely had on yours. I never got mine fixed. Isn't that what touch up paint is for??? :) I have attached to this post pictures of the rust on my Edge. Three spots - above each rear tire and under the hood (which is real bad, but you can't tell from the outside). Above the wheels would likely require replacement of that panel and it runs above the doors all the way to the front of the car. Likely not cheap. The under the hood repair would require a new hood. I'm guessing my Edge is worth ~7,000 with 200,000 miles and (Limited/AWD). Not worth it to me to get fixed (at least not now).

I can't get the last picture to post right-side-up, however, you can see the large chip of paint that I used touch-up paint on. Funny, it looks much worse in the picture then it does in real life.

Photo%20Feb%2017%2C%202%2017%2040%20PM.j

Photo%20Feb%2017%2C%202%2018%2006%20PM.j

Photo%20Feb%2017%2C%202%2018%2015%20PM.j

Edited by evh
  • Like 1

Yes, it is a bit disappointing to have that rust. I am the guy that keeps it in the garage and hand washes and waxes it!

So to keep this thread true to the "What have you done to your Edge today":

- Hand washed

- Hand waxed

- Put chrome polish on the 100% chrome rims ;)

It is sunny and relatively warm in Michigan (50 degrees). It was 40 degrees when I started. Still warm. Here is a tip. On colder days like today, I fill my bucket inside with warm water from inside. Keeps the hands from freezing. I was actually able to wash it today without a coat on. Nice!!!

She looks good!

• Like 1

i ran it through the car wash, didn't feel like pulling the hose out of the garage and hooking it up...then vacuumed the inside, polished all the glass, checked all the fluids, and used Back to Black on all the faded gray cladding on the sides and on the bumpers, wow that stuff made a huge difference. Love riding in a clean car!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Went to the dealership to get "The Works". Needed a tire rotation and didn't want to spend 3 hours waiting at the Sprawlmart. They did suggest a 4-wheel alignment, but then again, they always seem to suggest something.

Stopped by the self wash to scrub the front seats down with the carpet cleaner attachment. Not the most ideal, but the dog drool smell was getting a little much even for me. Left the windows open while I played with the horns to see how I can install Cadillac horns instead. Might have to take a trip to the local U-Pullit to see if I can find another set so I can steal the wiring (for the connector) and maybe rig up a relay. May not be worth it since the Caddy horns are negative ground and the Edge ones seem to be a closed loop. Hung the horns without touching metal and they still work.

WeatherTech window shade things came in and are installed. Have to wait till tomorrow to see how well they work.

Edit: I also painted those little triangles that indicate where to place the jack white. I know it's rather self-explanatory as for placement, but I am somewhat nerdy about things like that.

Edited by Brucifer
  • Like 1

I ordered OEM pre-primed and prepped grille inserts from Fairway Ford. I then ordered a 2oz. bottle of prep solvent, 2 spray cans of Ford Color Code UH (Tux Black), and 1 can of clear coat from Automotivetouchup.com. Prepped, color coated, and clear coated them myself. Total for the job was about $180.00. Took a few days to let the color coats dry and also the clear coat. Looks factory and even had one of the Ford techs comment on it when I had some dealer service done. Take your time, watch some vids, and you can do it yourself with excellent results for less that 1/2 the cost of a shop.

• Like 1

sorry this PC wont let me quote.

@cody James, the best way to do it IMO is to wrap it in vinyl. I hate Dip with a passion but it is very durable, more-so than paint. since it's rubbery it doesn't take on as much damage and when you need to touch up, you just spray where needed. I hate dip though. Vinyl is easy to lay (patience is a must and it does have a learning curve) but you could wrap your whole grille for about $45.

• Like 1

Went to the dealership to get "The Works". Needed a tire rotation and didn't want to spend 3 hours waiting at the Sprawlmart. They did suggest a 4-wheel alignment, but then again, they always seem to suggest something.

My guess after reading this is they seen something in the tread that indicates an alignment problem. Like cupping or excessive wear in one zone of the tread.

If I were you, I would ask why they are recommending an alignment. If it's been more than a couple of years and the tires are worth saving, may not be a bad idea to consider this. (After all, all it takes is one chuckhole to throw the alignment off).

• Like 1

My guess after reading this is they seen something in the tread that indicates an alignment problem. Like cupping or excessive wear in one zone of the tread.

If I were you, I would ask why they are recommending an alignment. If it's been more than a couple of years and the tires are worth saving, may not be a bad idea to consider this. (After all, all it takes is one chuckhole to throw the alignment off).

They said it was the rear axle that needed the alignment. Must of kicked over a bit in the last 146k miles. Need to save up for the OSS and TSS swap out first.

• Like 1

They said it was the rear axle that needed the alignment. Must of kicked over a bit in the last 146k miles. Need to save up for the OSS and TSS swap out first.

Edit: I forgot to add that they also suggested replacing the battery because it was running a little low. The same POS WalMart battery that the dealership installed when the car was traded in a year ago.

• Like 1

Today I disconnected the battery to reset the electronics, since I live in an apartment & my car is in a shared parking lot, I manually locked the doors. When I returned & tried to open the door with the emergency key but it did not unlock!! It needed some WD-40 to get it to unlock, thankfully I was at home & not out in a real emergency that required the key!

Moral of the story, check your door lock with the key as nowadays keys are rarely used.

• Like 1