Once a year Amsoil oil change

mrtwohands

I am getting ready to do my first oil change on my 2011 3.5L. Edge has 21,000 miles on it. I am thinking about doing the Amsoil once a year oil change and wanting to know if anyone else has done this and what they think about it. Also what oil filter does everyone use?

From everything I have read most people do not seem to like Amsoil but I can get a great deal on it. I have used it in the past on Mach 1 Mustang and I loved it. Seems most people also recommend the 6qts over the 5.5qts.

Thank you in advance with any information you can provide.

I am also almost out of my warranty period

Nope. You have a 5 yr/ 60K mile warranty on the drivetrain which includes the engine.

What do you mean by didn't mean spec?

In the owner's manual it provides the required oil spec:

To protect your engine and engine’s warranty, use Motorcraft SAE

5W-20 or an equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification

WSS-M2C930-A.

Amsoil top tier 5W-20 that boasts 1 yr intervals does not meet this spec. The XL formula does and might get you to 1 yr intervals with low mileage but that would be pushing it.

There is a reason auto mfrs have oil specs and not using an oil that meets the spec is risky, warranty or no warranty.

Motorcraft makes a full synthetic 5W-20 if you want full synthetic.

• Like 1

If you read this page http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_5W-20.aspx#, even tho Mobil says you can run their oil guaranteed for 15K miles, they recommend sticking with the mfr specified OC interval if your warranty is still in place. Legalese doubletalk.

There are oil filters that go 15K miles also, per mfr claims.

If you check oil level & quality frequently, you'd probably be OK. But if you are one to set & forget, I'd not recommend extended interval OCs.

It most definitely will meet spec. I've been running AMSOIL oil and filters for years, including for 3 years in my MKX. No worries. You will be well protected.

Amsoil top tier does not meet the Ford spec. It may work perfectly fine but there is a reason Ford publishes a spec and I would not use any oil that didn't meet the spec.

• 1 month later...

Just go with Ford's recommended Motorcraft oil. The 2011+ have the intelligent oil life monitor and as per the manual, depending on the driving conditions, you could get up to 10,000 miles per change (or a year, whichever comes first).It might not be a year for you, but it's close.

I see in the settings on the dash that you can set the oil life reminder for different %'s. I have put 6,000 miles on my Edge since I bought it. The Ford dealer said they changed the oil prior to me buying it and when I checked the oil you could tell it was fresh. At what percentage does the oil change reminder come on?

I not sure about amsoil specs. and warranty. But I was told to use a motorcraft filter so engine problems can't be blamed for using a non ford filter. I use motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend oil and motorcraft filter as ford calls for. I figure if the engine takes a dump, should be much less arguing to get it replaced. Also keep receipts and good records of maintenance.

Larry

Northern,In

I see in the settings on the dash that you can set the oil life reminder for different %'s. I have put 6,000 miles on my Edge since I bought it. The Ford dealer said they changed the oil prior to me buying it and when I checked the oil you could tell it was fresh. At what percentage does the oil change reminder come on?

From the owners manual, the following messages appear on the instrument cluster:

CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOONDisplayed when the engine oil life remaining is 10% or less.

OIL CHANGE REQUIREDDisplayed when the oil life left reaches 0%.

Amsoil top tier does not meet the Ford spec. It may work perfectly fine but there is a reason Ford publishes a spec and I would not use any oil that didn't meet the spec.

No, you are wrong. It DOES meet it:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/sae-5w-20-signature-series-100-percent-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=ALMQT-EA

• 1 month later...