2011 Ford Edge Limited Door Alignment

shacho

I noticed the other day that the driver side door on my 2011 Ford Edge Limited isn't flush with the frame/rear door. I adjusted the tang/latch to pull the door closer to the frame but that didn't work. I'm wondering if this is a manufacture defect/aligment over-site. Also, if I put my face to the door window, I can feel cool air coming in. Just wondering if anybody have noticed whether or not this door alignment issue exist on their vehicle.

Yes, it is aligned on the fender side and the door closes without any problems. I had a body shop to validate what I was looking at and he noticed it also and said, "ajusting the tang/latch would pull the door in. I tried that and nothing changed. I will take pics tomorrow and post. It's not noticable to the average person, I noticed it when I was polishing/waxing it a couple of weeks ago.

Since the frame of reference is relative, either the front or the rear door or both could need alignment. Here are the instructions for a 2007:

Door Adjustment — Front

NOTE: LH door shown, RH door similar.

1. NOTE: Make sure the rear door is within specifications before making any adjustments to the front door. For additional information, refer to Section 501-35 .

Remove the front fender. For additional information, refer to Section 501-02 .
  1. Mark the position of the front door hinges to use as a reference point.
  1. Loosen the 2 front door lower hinge-to-body bolts just enough to permit movement.
  1. Loosen the 2 front door upper hinge-to-body bolts just enough to permit movement.
  1. Loosen the front door upper hinge locator pin nut just enough to permit movement.
  1. Adjust the front door to specifications. For additional information, refer to Section 501-35 .
  1. Tighten the front door upper hinge-to-body bolts in the order shown.
    • Tighten to 30 Nm (22 lb-ft).
  1. Tighten the front door upper hinge locator pin nut.
    • Tighten to 12 Nm (9 lb-ft).
  1. Install the front fender. For additional information, refer to Section 501-02 .

Door Adjustment — Rear

1. Remove the B-pillar trim panel. For additional information, refer to Section 501-05 .
  1. Mark the positions of the rear door hinges to use as reference points.
  1. Loosen the 2 lower interior rear door hinge-to-body nuts just enough to permit movement.
  1. Loosen the 2 upper interior rear door hinge-to-body bolts just enough to permit movement.
  1. Loosen the exterior upper rear door hinge locator pin nut just enough to permit movement.
  1. Adjust the rear door to specifications. For additional information, refer to Section 501-35 .
  1. Tighten the interior upper rear door hinge-to-body nuts in the order shown.
  1. Tighten the exterior upper rear door hinge-to-body nut.
  1. Check the front door adjustments. For additional information, refer to Door Adjustment — Front in this section.
  1. Install the B-pillar trim panel. For additional information, refer to Section 501-05 .
Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1

I noticed the other day that the driver side door on my 2011 Ford Edge Limited isn't flush with the frame/rear door. I adjusted the tang/latch to pull the door closer to the frame but that didn't work. I'm wondering if this is a manufacture defect/aligment over-site. Also, if I put my face to the door window, I can feel cool air coming in. Just wondering if anybody have noticed whether or not this door alignment issue exist on their vehicle.

I have a similar issue, but with the rear left door. Also tried to adjust the door striker (the part on the body where the door latches to), but it did not seem to change. I feel like there is a different way to adjust the alignment on these cars.

Hey guys,

I recommend setting an appointment with your local Ford Dealer. Locate a dealer near you, and set up an appointment here.

What’s the current mileage on your vehicles?

Once this info is received, I’ll look into available options to assist. :)

Since the frame of reference is relative, either the front or the rear door or both could need alignment. Here are the instructions for a 2007:

Door Adjustment — Front

NOTE: LH door shown, RH door similar.

1. NOTE: Make sure the rear door is within specifications before making any adjustments to the front door. For additional information, refer to Section 501-35 .

Remove the front fender. For additional information, refer to Section 501-02 .
  1. Mark the position of the front door hinges to use as a reference point.
  1. Loosen the 2 front door lower hinge-to-body bolts just enough to permit movement.
  1. Loosen the 2 front door upper hinge-to-body bolts just enough to permit movement.
  1. Loosen the front door upper hinge locator pin nut just enough to permit movement.
  1. Adjust the front door to specifications. For additional information, refer to Section 501-35 .
  1. Tighten the front door upper hinge-to-body bolts in the order shown.
  1. Tighten the front door upper hinge locator pin nut.
  1. Install the front fender. For additional information, refer to Section 501-02 ...

WWWPerfA_ZN0W,

Thanks for providing such great info!

You rock, and have a great day! :)

Tricia

Hey guys,

I recommend setting an appointment with your local Ford Dealer. Locate a dealer near you, and set up an appointment here.

What’s the current mileage on your vehicles?

Once this info is received, I’ll look into available options to assist. :)

WWWPerfA_ZN0W,

Thanks for providing such great info!

You rock, and have a great day! :)

Tricia

My 2011 Edge Limited has 29,850 and counting

Edited by shacho

Pictures of the driver door closed and the striker hook I adjusted the striker inward as far as possible and the alignment stayed the same. As you can see the driver door molding is not flush with the rear door molding. Hmm?

I see what you mean. Is it "off" more at the top of the door than the bottom? Hopefully no "shaving" or trimming of metal parts is needed.

It looks like the hinges need to be adjusted. Is the hinge side of the door pulled in more on the bottom than the top? If it isn't than the door may be warped. I'm not suggesting this but my buddies body shop used to fix stuff like this by blocking the door on the bottom with a wood block and pushing the top section of the door to twist it into the correct position. If your under warrantee bring it in and let Ford figure it out.

It looks like the hinges need to be adjusted. Is the hinge side of the door pulled in more on the bottom than the top? If it isn't than the door may be warped. I'm not suggesting this but my buddies body shop used to fix stuff like this by blocking the door on the bottom with a wood block and pushing the top section of the door to twist it into the correct position. If your under warrantee bring it in and let Ford figure it out.

I will definitely inspect the hinges this weekend if the weather permits. As for the warranty, my 36 months are up, however I did get an extended warranty at the time of purchase. Hopefully, this door issue is included if not, it's all good. Roll Tide!!

It might be that the back door needs to be adjusted or shimmed out on the top hinge to bring it out more in order to make it flush with the drivers door.

Hmm, never thought about that. I will call the dealership closest to my location and inquire about whether or not my warranty cover such issue.

• 6 years later...

I have EXACT same issue with my front driver's door, but includes an annoying subtle somewhat of a whistling noise from the top corner next to my ear when driving in excess of 45 mph. 2011 Ford Edge SEL Black 130K. I'm going to attempt to adjusting striker plate considering the seals appear to still be like-new around all doors. (although I don't think the striker plate holes are adjustable, I believe they are just large enough for the bolts to fit thru., as in, no room to slide striker in closer to frame.) In that case, only thing I can think of doing will be to enlarge seals whether by replacing with new or filling them with either surgical tubing or foam rope. Right?

image (1).jpg

image 1.jpg

[Please ignore the cardboard box that temporarily was sitting behind the XS Power Super Bank Capacitor Battery SB1500-75 at time of taking photo] DEC 2020 will be the last month of having this car audio system build set-up because I'm upgrading from 1 Skar DNR 15" 5K RMS w/ Taramps Bass 8K @ 1-ohm.. to.. 2 Fi Neo 4.11 15"s w/ 2 Taramps Bass 8Ks but at 0.7-ohm all lithium batts equating to 20,000 RMS Watts!! Yes I'm a Car Audio Basshead Fanatic. See videos of past and current builds on my YouTube channel: Brandon Lee 

Edited by EdgeOn
added info about photo