Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

Service MGR. called last evening and I'm bringing the Edge to them this AM. They want to first make sure that the seal is indeed leaking again and not tech error. I insisted that the PTU be replaced instead of another seal kit . He did agree with me. I will have a vehicle to drive at N/C for as long as it takes he said.

A good friend of mine works in Phoenix at a Lincoln dealer and he has seen this problem down there and has talked to his tranny. spec. who said, as we already knew, that there is a design flaw with the sealing rings for our Edges and Taurus' He told me not to expect the kit to work and the PTU should be replaced. It looks like many have seen these fail as well. isn't there a so called redesigned unit now????? What another backorder for the PTU??

As a side note any idea how a lease works if the vehicle is laid up or not driven for an extended period of time? Can Ford lease be notified, and therefore we would only be required to pay what was actually driven for said time??? I can see if we received a comparable car for a loaner, but to receive a VAN the first time during a snow storm! I need to look into this. Doug

Service MGR. called last evening and I'm bringing the Edge to them this AM. They want to first make sure that the seal is indeed leaking again and not tech error. I insisted that the PTU be replaced instead of another seal kit . He did agree with me. I will have a vehicle to drive at N/C for as long as it takes he said.

A good friend of mine works in Phoenix at a Lincoln dealer and he has seen this problem down there and has talked to his tranny. spec. who said, as we already knew, that there is a design flaw with the sealing rings for our Edges and Taurus' He told me not to expect the kit to work and the PTU should be replaced. It looks like many have seen these fail as well. isn't there a so called redesigned unit now????? What another backorder for the PTU??

As a side note any idea how a lease works if the vehicle is laid up or not driven for an extended period of time? Can Ford lease be notified, and therefore we would only be required to pay what was actually driven for said time??? I can see if we received a comparable car for a loaner, but to receive a VAN the first time during a snow storm! I need to look into this. Doug

It would also be interesting if we just stopped paying the lease and explained why. I wonder what Ford credit would do? Well I guess I know what they would do but someone with the guts should try it,,,,Hmmmmm!

The Mass Lemon Law applies to new and used cars up to 15,000 miles or one year whichever comes first. the defect needs to be repaired 3 times and still a failure. However I understand that even if you have exceeded one year or 15k, you can still qualify for a final opportunity repair which gives the dealer one more chance to fix it right. Then you can submit a letter to the manu. for a replacement or refund.

What # is correct to call Ford about the Lemon Law? I did mention yesterday about having the entire PTU replaced if I have to return. He stated that they haven't had to replace the PTU yet as all the seals they replaced haven't come back??? Probably went to another dealer?

Wife will take the car today because of the snow. I'll give it a day or two and call the dealer if this persists, and call Ford. Need that # please. Doug

I also do not qualify for the lemon law but Ford customer service is being very attentive to my concerns. They have a HUGE problem on their hands. Call 866-631-3788. I also filed a case with the better business bureau. Very easy to do at www.auto.bbb.org. Keep us posted.

Edited by edge18

It would also be interesting if we just stopped paying the lease and explained why. I wonder what Ford credit would do? Well I guess I know what they would do but someone with the guts should try it,,,,Hmmmmm!

I had the PTO assembly and the axel haft shaft replaced on my last "fix". Smell is back. I am guessing that this means that the entire PTO was replaced (??) and this still does not solve the problem. Am waiting for a loaner car and then Ford will take my car for the 4th fix.

Brought my Edge in this am and it is fact the PTU that is leaking. My dealer has ordered the new seal kit to replace it. He stated that replacing the whole PTU unit will not fix the problem, because they still come with the old seal. He has already done 1 other edge with the new seal and it hasnt been back yet. Time will tell. When part comes in I will find out for sure!!!

Brought my Edge in this am and it is fact the PTU that is leaking. My dealer has ordered the new seal kit to replace it. He stated that replacing the whole PTU unit will not fix the problem, because they still come with the old seal. He has already done 1 other edge with the new seal and it hasnt been back yet. Time will tell. When part comes in I will find out for sure!!!
Sounds like verbatim from my dealer. Who's your dealer, Gervais Ford in Ayer, Ma.? :shades:

Well let me add to the rant... I have 2 x 2008 edges each have the burning smell. On one of them less then 9k miles and the PTU has been replaced 2 times the seals 2 times still have the burning smell. The second car 11k on it and its had the seals done 2x and still have the burning smell. Does anyone know what the lemon laws are in CT and has anyone actually collected from a Lemon law for this issue?

Just picked up Edge tonight. Smells real bad, not sure if fluid is just burning off Y pipe. Finally got receipts from the two service trips.

12/9/08 : Miles 10,841 - PTU Seal Leak - Part # 7E5Z*7275*D

Install seals and deflector, retest ok.

1/30/09 : Miles 13,328 - PTU Seal Leak - Part # 8T4Z*7275*A Kit

It did not smell this bad on the 12/9 service trip when I picked it up. Probably will take it back tomorrow and have them check again, have a few errands to run tonight so will take the Edge and see if still dripping tomorrow.

Thank-you for posting this. This is exactly what is happening to my 2007 Edge. The smell is not as frequent as it was so I sometimes think I am imagining it. Ford is taking my car sometime this week to look at. It is not in your head. Keep us posted.

Update on my 2007 Ford Edge. I was told by the technician at the dealer ship that the new PTU unit is still holding and no leaking. He said that they had to put extra lube on the seal and it is dropping on the exhaust so until that burns off I will smell a burning smell. I asked how long that would take and he couldnt give me an answer. HMMMM..........I am a woman so dont know to much about cars but I do know that irritating burning smell. Would lube smell like this? I guess i have to take their word for it for now and see what happens. Could it be or could it not be? I do still smell it. It will be almost a month since the last one has been replaced.

Got a Fusion (09 SEL Tuxedo Black) Wednesday, missing the Vista roof BIGTIME. I am very impressed with the Fusion, solid car, great value and I love the Sync. It's been years since I've driven a car. Kind of fun, truth be told. This thing has some go juice and style but it's not near as comfortable as the Edge. I know it's hard to compare them, I am just glad I got to have both, if not at the same time. Big Ford fan here, always have been likely always will be.

Best of luck folks, I hope for Ford's sake they get this sorted, Edge is an otherwise awesome vehicle. I would not hesitate to jump into another one when I am done with the Fusion if they get everything straight.

Did a 600+ mile round trip this weekend and could swear I smelled the old devil odor twice but not in the garage when it was just parked. Looked underneath and saw no leak so maybe it was my imagination. I will crawl under this weekend to take a close look. I do not trust that the "shield" is not just protecting the manifold from the leak thus preventing the fluid from contacting the manifold and creating the smoke and odor. I'll let you know....

My 08 AWD has about 11,000kms on it.

I have smelled a burning smell kind of like burning rubber on 4 different occasions now when parking after a run on the highway. I drive on the highway daily so it is not everytime.

I have not had any smoke, or seen any oil dripping or oil marks on my driveway.

Could the smell be coming from the brakes? it is a similar smell to when a transport jams its brakes on.

My 08 AWD has about 11,000kms on it.

I have smelled a burning smell kind of like burning rubber on 4 different occasions now when parking after a run on the highway. I drive on the highway daily so it is not everytime.

I have not had any smoke, or seen any oil dripping or oil marks on my driveway.

Could the smell be coming from the brakes? it is a similar smell to when a transport jams its brakes on.

Sounds like a PTU problem. Car starts to smell when you idle usually after a run on the highway. Takes awhile to see smoke and I have never seen anything dripping in my driveway. I am on my 4th fix for this.

Mine is leaking again. The updated PTU lasted 10 days, maybe 2 weeks. I am pushing for a buyback. It is at the dealership now. I am supposed to hear back from Ford customer service tomorrow. I told them 2 transmissions, 3 ptu's and several seals was enough.

I am scheduled to go to the dealer this week and will ask about a buy back. How many miles do you have on your Edge? Which part was installed? I am on my fourth fix at 26,000 miles. I had part #7251D last time. Galaxieman wrote that newest part was 1 8T4Z-7251A. I am working with Ford customer service as well and they pretend to know nothing about this problem. I really don't think that they have a fix.

We have had 3 seals done, and the last time they did a seal and shaft. We have had no leaks since 01/20, I tend to check it every couple of days where my wife drives the car. We are in New Hampshire and when she parks in the garage I do smell something but it smells slightly different. I have checked everywhere but have found no leaks or issues. Hopefully we can keep it from leaking. If ANYONE out there has been able to get the dealer to take back the car please reply.... I have done some research and it's not an easy task. I may just trade it in for another brand if it keeps happening. I don't have the time to play with FORD.

I have the latest PTU. It is the one that lasted about 10 days. If you look back I posted the part number here. It had been released just a few days before I got it. Mine has 29000 on it now.

So... Are you saying it works or not working with the new ptu. I thought you said you were getting a buy back from your dealer? How is that working from what I hear that is extreamly hard to pull off. The dealers don't want a used car back. I have called more then 6 dealerships and they all saying that there is not an updated PTU unit, even if they do the dealership would need Ford to approve. I went back thru the posts and did not see a part # for a PTU unit. Did you have the seal and shaft done before, this seems to have fixed our issue. However it's only been 2 weeks and about 800miles.

It did not work. Above where I said "it lasted about 10 days" was referring to the redesigned PTU. On page 10 about 8 or 9 posts down I posted the redesigned ptu part number. I have never had the intermediate shaft replaced. The field service engineer that came and examined it the last time said the redesigned PTU would fix it.

As I stated yesterday, I am pushing for a buyback now. As stated above I am supposed to hear back from Ford customer service today. I have no doubt they do not want another used one on the lot but if they do not have any other parts or methods to stop the leak, what choice do they have?