Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

And there goes my car as well....

First I hoped the fate of bad seals will spare me but unfortunately I could no longer ignore the smell after I had smoke coming out from under the hood... my dealership here in Montreal is aware of the problem ("smell?? must be the seal") and will take of the car next Monday. I will post the results after the repairs..

I got an update from the dealer after I dropped my Edge off on Wednesday.

Looks like the second PTU is about to be replaced.

My Edge was the first vehicle that my dealer had serviced last December with the PTU problem and they went through the standard procedure of replacing the seals which of course leaked, and then replaced the PTU. Now that the PTU is being replaced again, I hope that the units now have better parts and this won't continue to happen.

Well I am new to this forum. I purchased a used 2007 Edge SEL plus with all the bells and whistles you could want. Had only 7200miles! Now a little over 12000miles. Bought in Sept 2008. I started getting the burnt rubber smell when it started getting cold here in Ohio. Consulted this forum and called my dealership and was servied on 12-8-08. They replaced all the seals on the PTU as per TSB. Took two days for parts and only a few hours to put back together. Started to get the smell again yesterday. What a good christmas present!! Anyway waiting to take it in next week since I need it for a long drive this weekend for Pennsylvania.

I have browsed the internet and found out that Ford also had problems with PTU's prevousily on other ford/mercury models including the Montego AWD either 2004 or 2006. So why in the world are the still having problems with newer PTU's and seals. My judgment poor quality control of their products. Hopefully they have a better fix soon. In Ohio three repairs on the same part of vehicle qualifies for lemon law. Anyone else do lemon law and if so what was the outcome?

Well I called Transport Canada. They said that they would be definitely be reviewing things. I even had a guy come over and take pictures. The really interesting thing is that he said that there was only one complaint on file and it mentioned nothing about the burning smell, just a leak. So either I am the only one in Ontario or the only one in Canada to register this issue.

Freeflyer,

I would recommend going to "Desjardins Ford" on Marcel Laurin. Get a hold of Richard Rochon who is a Service Advisor.

I had the same problem last year, went thru 2 PTU's...The problem was resolved after their Service Manager and head tranmission mechanic decided to replace the PTU seals. It took them the entire day - they took their time to ensure everything was proper.

I can say that since last winter (over 12 months now) I no longer have this problem.

Give them a try..

regarding the burning smell...driving an awd. have noticed the small on and off however it has been getting worse. at first thought it was brakes but smelled more like burning transmission fluid over time. and guess what.....???!!! now that i've taken it to the dealer for an investigation and made a few phone calls i come to find that this is a real problem that my dealer was claiming to know nothing about. ford has redesigned the axle seal about 4 times now. the one that is soon to be on the shelves supposedly solves the problem of this leaky seal, which is in fact dropping transmission fluid on the manifold and causing smelling smoke. mine is even leaving a puddle in the garage. an aggressive leak can leave you stranded. even more risky is that of burning. the parts are very limited due to high demand which proves it's a bit of a problem. we're waiting for a part now but my guess is there will be a recall soon enough. yuk!!!

i Own 2 edges.. I have the burning smell on both of them. One of the cars is going in for its 2nd attempted to repair and the other will be its first. I am hoping they can resolve it once and for all

thanks for your reply scott. i nosed around on line enough that it seems to be a common problem. just got mine back from the dealership. they changed the axle seal and something about a ptu seems to be important. my service shop didn't know anything about the problem, but i told them it's all over the internet. will likely be a recall

I had my 2008 Edge SEL in for the second time last week...this time to the dealer that I purchased it from instead of the closest one to my home. I've heard poor things about the one nearest home so thought it better to take it to a different dealer. They replaced the RT AXEL/PTU seal for the SECOND time. Have hardly driven it and thought I smelled it again this morning. Doesn't look too promising given all of the reports here. I still only have 9100 miles on it.

Minnesota has the lemon law...will have to look into it as we continue to battle this issue. :banghead:

Why would it be a recall? There's no safety issue.

No safety issue ? There's 3 as far as I am concerned.

1: What if that little leak becomes a bigger one suddenly. Transmission failure at highway speeds can't be good for you or the driver right behind you when it happens.

2: Breathing in toxic fumes.

3: Potential fire hazard. Hot oil on an exhaust pipe, hmmmmmm

Its these reasons that Transport Canada came to my house on Christmas eve to look at it. I am hoping to hear from them this week. In the meantime I encourage anyone with the issue to give them a call. I don't have the number handy, but it is in the back of your manual.

Freeflyer,

I would recommend going to "Desjardins Ford" on Marcel Laurin. Get a hold of Richard Rochon who is a Service Advisor.

I had the same problem last year, went thru 2 PTU's...The problem was resolved after their Service Manager and head tranmission mechanic decided to replace the PTU seals. It took them the entire day - they took their time to ensure everything was proper.

I can say that since last winter (over 12 months now) I no longer have this problem.

Give them a try..

thanks for the hint! My car goes in Wednesday for the next Seal... its Fortier Ford in Anjou. The problem is so common, that I had to wait for a slot with the 'transmission guy...' If this doesn't help I will certainly contact Desjardin. I keep you posted.

Apart from that, what a great car!!!!

My 08 Limited has 15,500 on it now and I haven't smelled anything yet, but it's the wifes car and she spends most of the time in it. Knowing my wife she doesn't pay much attention to much else other than her IPOD and defensive driving around all these Massholes, she probably hasn't even noticed it. Where the car is parked wouldn't show any leaks because of the old worn, stained from 150 years of you name it, wooden barn floor.

I will peek under the passenger side today to look for leaks by parking in the snow.

I called the Service Manager today @ Gervais Ford in Ayer and asked him if they were aware of the PTU seal failure and he told me they have had 8 - 10 Edges in for this repair. He also said that since the updated seals came in about 6 months ago not one Edge came back for repeat service? He said they have replaced a few axles as well.

If mine isn't leaking it ain't broke and I'm not going to mess with it. We'll see. Doug

My '08 Edge is a few months old and has about 3,500km on it. It smells every time I park it, especially in a closed area like a garage. Obviously this hasn't been fixed from '07 to '08. I called the dealer and he has heard of the problem with Edges with 30k plus on them.

They will look at it when I take it in for my first oil change. I will also send a complaint into Ford.

I have looked under the vehicle and can't see anything and there is no sign of oil leaks on my garage floor. Can I expect this to get worse?

It is kind of embarrassing to explain to people why my brand new vehicle smell so bad.

OLD SMOKEY