Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

Contrary to some blogger's opinions, this appears to only affect a small number of AWD Edge owners primarily in cold weather states. The repair procedure is complicated and it appears that not all dealers are able to complete the repair effectively, thus you get repeat repair attempts.

Ford has gone to the trouble of putting out a detailed TSB including a new seal and new ptu to try and fix the problem. Unfortunately Ford cannot control the competency of it's dealers.

Some dealers and owners have reported success applying the TSB so it is possible. If your dealer can't fix it - GO TO ANOTHER ONE. Or just start a blog to complain about it.

I will be objective. If there is anyone out there that is completely satisfied with the fix on the PTU problem, I am more than willing to report this on my blog as well.

Unfortunately, no one has taken the time or there are no satisfied Ford Edge Owners.

Let me know and I will post the good as well as the bad, since I would like to have my vehicle repaired so I can be done with it.

SMOKIN EDGE

P.S. I would like to see a copy of this detailed TSB you talk about

Edited by garyedwardsmith

The problem has been primarily with the '07 and '08s but I noticed the other posts have identified that some'09 owners are having problems.

Ford has not been forthcoming about the problem and haven't issued any recall so it is difficult to identify defective vehicles.

That said it seems to be primarily a problem in colder climates in the winter. My vehicle started stinking at under 3,000 km. If you smell smoke like burning wax, you have just purchase a crappy Ford Edge like the rest of us.

For more Stinkin PTU stories with the Ford Edge, you can check out my blog.

http://www.smokinedge.com

SMOKIN EDGE

Hi Gary. :D I am not downplaying your problems, just trying to explain the "Recall" question. There has been no need for a recall, because it is not a "safety" issue, nor is it a widespread issue. The problems are handles on an "as needed" basis, and let me explain why.

There is no need to "recall" every AWD Edge to have it merely looked at. Imagine this, Ford "recalls" every AWD Edge and has them visually inspected. Those with no leaks (the vast majority) are sent on their way home. Those with leaks are scheduled for repair.

The result of the recall? A lot of money spent inspecting a lot of perfectly healthy vehicles so that a few could be repaired, when all that needs to be done is those with leaks in their driveways or a burning smell bring in their cars for inspection, diagnosis and repair.

If they "Recall" the vehicles, it does not change the current inspection, diagnosis and repair process (whether it works or not). So it is not necessary to issue a recall.

Again Gary, please understand that I am not downplaying your (or any other Edge owner with a leaking PTU) concerns. I too would be upset if I was in your position. I am simply explaining why there is no "Recall", and likely will not be a recall.

The bottom line is that "Recalls" are not some sort of magic bullet that would change anything in the current inspection/diagnosis/repair process. Edge's with the leak problem are repaired on an "as needed" basis. The problem is more one of the current "repair" not always correcting the problem. A 'Recall" would not change that.

I hope you understand my reason for this reply.

Good luck. :beerchug:

I will be objective. If there is anyone out there that is completely satisfied with the fix on the PTU problem, I am more than willing to report this on my blog as well.

Unfortunately, no one has taken the time or there are no satisfied Ford Edge Owners.

Let me know and I will post the good as well as the bad, since I would like to have my vehicle repaired so I can be done with it.

SMOKIN EDGE

P.S. I would like to see a copy of this detailed TSB you talk about

It was either posted here or on Blue Oval Forums but BOF doesn't have a search engine and I can't find it here. It involved heating the seals, etc. And there were several dealers (one in California) who had never seen the problem at all. I know I've read at least one or two posters who had it fixed right the first time following the new TSB.

And you know good and well that folks who had their problems fixed are not likely to be on an internet forum complaining about it.

Thanks for the info. Based on what was said I am screwed. I bought an 08, I live in IL and it is AWD. Rats. I will hope that I will get lucky and it will never happen, but every other car I have ever bought has had problems, they find me.

Hi igcitng. :D No, you are not "screwed".

Again, I am not downplaying the plight of those who are having the problem, as I would also be upset if the problem was not fixed correctly the first time.

However, the majority of AWD Edge owners (even those in cold weather climates) do not have a leak problem. It is a small minority of Edge owners that have the leaking PTU. So simply enjoy your Edge, and check and maintain it as you would any other vehicle. If it leaks, (statistically unlikely) bring it in for service, just like any other vehicle. No sense worrying about something that may never happen.

Edited by bbf2530

Are you a Ford mechanic?

I promise not to fret about it. Like I need anything else to worry about, right?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi igcitng. :D No, you are not "screwed".

Again, I am not downplaying the plight of those who are having the problem, as I would also be upset if the problem was not fixed correctly the first time.

However, the majority of AWD Edge owners (even those in cold weather climates) do not have a leak problem. It is a small minority of Edge owners that have the leaking PTU. So simply enjoy your Edge, and check and maintain it as you would any other vehicle. If it leaks, (statistically unlikely) bring it in for service, just like any other vehicle. No sense worrying about something that may never happen.

Are you a Ford mechanic?

I promise not to fret about it. Like I need anything else to worry about, right?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi igciting. :D No, I am not a Ford Tech/Mechanic. But the information I provide is correct.

I hope you have many happy and worry/fret :hysterical: free miles with your Edge. :shift:

Hi igciting. :D No, I am not a Ford Tech/Mechanic. But the information I provide is correct.

I hope you have many happy and worry/fret :hysterical: free miles with your Edge. :shift:

I have a Lincoln MKX and have the leaking PTU problem. It has been in for repair 4 times and it seems they got it right this time. I am not very happy that it took so long for FOMOCO to find a solution but the dealer has kept me as happy as he possibly could. I am a lifelong Ford owner with but a few exceptions and will continue to be in the future. I will gladly lease another Edge/MKX and am seriously considering the new Taurus SHO for my next car. The wife drives the MKX.

Every manufacturer of anything makes errors and should be judged on their efforts to make things right. Ford has done so in my estimation and will continue to enjoy my business.

I have said this before and I'll say it again. This should be a recall. it IS a safety issue.

1. Dripping oil on hot exhaust. HELLO !!!!! Fire hazard anyone ???

2. Toxicological effects. Breathing in those fumes can't be good for you. Me, I am not so worried, but my kids shouldn't have to breath this stuff in.

3. What if it suddenly turns from a slow drip to a big one ? Toasted transmission at highway speeds aren't fun ( had it happen on another vehicle ). What if it pukes all the oil at once ? What about you or the guy behind driving in an oil slick ?

Transport Canada certainly thought it was worth a phone call to Ford. ( will have to call them and find out what the verdict was, never heard back ... ) That said, I still appear to be leak free. I am at the 10km mark. I still think that this is a problem and Ford needs to address this.

Weasel,

I agree with you..However, FORD will NEVER do a recall on this problem. They cannot afford the bad publicity that this would generate + it would cost them too much $$ to do a recall on the AWD Edge.

However, if you are unhappy with the repairs thus far because of the continous leak of the PTU, you do have Arbitration at your dispossal. I went thru it and won. I am just waiting for the phone call to go and pick up my check...FORD has 21 days to submit payment..

Good luck

I have said this before and I'll say it again. This should be a recall. it IS a safety issue.

2. Toxicological effects. Breathing in those fumes can't be good for you. Me, I am not so worried, but my kids shouldn't have to breath this stuff in.

3. What if it suddenly turns from a slow drip to a big one ? Toasted transmission at highway speeds aren't fun ( had it happen on another vehicle ). What if it pukes all the oil at once ? What about you or the guy behind driving in an oil slick ?

Transport Canada certainly thought it was worth a phone call to Ford. ( will have to call them and find out what the verdict was, never heard back ... ) That said, I still appear to be leak free. I am at the 10km mark. I still think that this is a problem and Ford needs to address this.

Ford has a fix, the double seal. It works. Go get it done!

So let me get this straight - Ford is fixing every one of these that happen, without question. Nobody is being turned down for a repair and anyone who has the problem knows right away by the smell.

What, exactly, would a recall do beyond what is already being done? If it's not leaking then you don't want to touch it anyway.

If the NHTSA thought it was a safety issue there would be a recall already.

So let me get this straight - Ford is fixing every one of these that happen, without question. Nobody is being turned down for a repair and anyone who has the problem knows right away by the smell.

What, exactly, would a recall do beyond what is already being done? If it's not leaking then you don't want to touch it anyway.

If the NHTSA thought it was a safety issue there would be a recall already.

Simple. Not all the fixes are working. Quite a few are being re-fixed ( is that even a word ?? ). Its one of two things. Dealer incompetence in doing the repair correctly or there still is a defect. The NHTSA ( like Transport Canada ) isn't going to be doing much unless they get complaints and more than one at that. When I called TC, they only had one other problem reported about and Edge transmission and it wasn't the same issue.

I just send TC an e-mail. Here is the response:

Hello,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.

We discussed the issue with the manufacturer. They indicated that the oil leak has been noticed on a few vehicles. That is why they issued the technical service bulletin (TSB) informing technicians how to properly repair the vehicles. Although quite a few vehicle have experienced the oil leak, non have resulted in a fire.

Because there is no fire complaints, we feel that this is not a safety related issue.

So we have decided to close our investigation into this issue.

We do appreciate you contacting us and allowing us to inspect your vehicle.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

Sad. One has to burn for a recall. Hope its not mine !

I just send TC an e-mail. Here is the response:

Hello,

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.

We discussed the issue with the manufacturer. They indicated that the oil leak has been noticed on a few vehicles. That is why they issued the technical service bulletin (TSB) informing technicians how to properly repair the vehicles. Although quite a few vehicle have experienced the oil leak, non have resulted in a fire.

Because there is no fire complaints, we feel that this is not a safety related issue.

So we have decided to close our investigation into this issue.

We do appreciate you contacting us and allowing us to inspect your vehicle.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,

Sad. One has to burn for a recall. Hope its not mine !

Did my second PTU visit today; leaking again after repair of a month ago.

Service rep informs me today that a new TSB was issued on Saturday, April 18. They are waiting for new or revised repair details before ordering replacement ( revised?) parts.

I just hope this is not a "cock and bull" story!!

Did my second PTU visit today; leaking again after repair of a month ago.

Service rep informs me today that a new TSB was issued on Saturday, April 18. They are waiting for new or revised repair details before ordering replacement ( revised?) parts.

I just hope this is not a "cock and bull" story!!

I just looked and there is a new TSB 09-8-10 that was issued april 17th. It has 2 new part numbers for seal replacement depending on weather the ptu is leaking or the transmission is leaking. There is also a new service procedure. So hopefully this will fix the leak problems.

Edited by druck52

Simple. Not all the fixes are working. Quite a few are being re-fixed ( is that even a word ?? ). Its one of two things. Dealer incompetence in doing the repair correctly or there still is a defect. The NHTSA ( like Transport Canada ) isn't going to be doing much unless they get complaints and more than one at that. When I called TC, they only had one other problem reported about and Edge transmission and it wasn't the same issue.

My point is that making it a recall won't change the repair procedures. Ford is already doing all it can to try and fix the problem and it appears that the repair procedure works if done correctly. Unfortunately Ford doesn't have any control over their dealers.

If Ford was refusing to repair these then I could see the benefit. But they're not.

:happy feet: Drove to work today in my 2009 Honda Accord paid for by Ford. Finalized buyback of my 2007 Edge last night! Settled through arbitration with the Better Business Bureau. Thanks to all of you (except Capt. Kirk) for your comments and suggestions. Special thanks to whoever posted the service bulletin on here awhile back. It really helped in my arbitration. Good luck to the rest of you. If you are experiencing the leak and are frustrated by repeated fixes check BBB.org for your state. I don't think Ford will give anyone a hard time buying back the Edge.

• 2 weeks later...
:happy feet: Drove to work today in my 2009 Honda Accord paid for by Ford. Finalized buyback of my 2007 Edge last night! Settled through arbitration with the Better Business Bureau. Thanks to all of you (except Capt. Kirk) for your comments and suggestions. Special thanks to whoever posted the service bulletin on here awhile back. It really helped in my arbitration. Good luck to the rest of you. If you are experiencing the leak and are frustrated by repeated fixes check BBB.org for your state. I don't think Ford will give anyone a hard time buying back the Edge.

:doh::hysterical:

I had the same problem. Its your Transmission Tranfer case. Its leaking. Take it to your Ford dealer and have him REPLACE IT not try and tighten it. They tried that for me and it didnt work. They had to order a new one. I still have a bit of the smell and I am bringing it back to have them look at it once again.

Hope this helps!