Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

I posted this morning about a smelly oder, and warning lights...It is not a leak as I was fearing.....The smell is typical new car burn.....I drove the car into the Dealer, and they are being extremely accommodating.Gave me a loaner and said that the "leakers" have been remedied for the most part.But its a bummer having a brand new ride that needs repair, but if this is the only issue we have......

I posted this morning about a smelly oder, and warning lights...It is not a leak as I was fearing.....The smell is typical new car burn.....I drove the car into the Dealer, and they are being extremely accommodating.Gave me a loaner and said that the "leakers" have been remedied for the most part.But its a bummer having a brand new ride that needs repair, but if this is the only issue we have......

Ā 

Ā 

10-4 on that. My "leaker" spent a day in the shop. They replaced the PTU seal and drive shaft. So far so good. I asked if this would be a recurring problem and they stated that it would not. (knock on wood) Time will tell. Other than that, I experienced excellent service at the dealer.

10-4 on that. My "leaker" spent a day in the shop. They replaced the PTU seal and drive shaft. So far so good. I asked if this would be a recurring problem and they stated that it would not. (knock on wood) Time will tell. Other than that, I experienced excellent service at the dealer.

Ā 

Good luck to you on that repair.We picked ours up after a couple hours....they say the only thing they could find was possibly a damaged or improperly seated wire harness connector.I have heard of it happening before.It is still aggravating to have a ride with 50 miles on it , have to be repaired.But I am thinking..... those of us needing repairs are going to be a lot more "vocal" lol, than those that have no issues to complain about.I really like the car though.Smooth, quiet.Its also rated pretty decent all around. There was an Edge at the Dealer with ground effects and a tuner engine of some sort.Nice job, looked factory except for the silver color.Any way, we are once again satisfied with our new Edge.Hope everything works out good for you too........

• 1 month later...

As June 19,2008 Ford engineering issued a Service Bulletin with a new procedure , New Seal and some new tools. This is what they told me ;-)

Let see if this will fix this problem. They already replace 4 PTUs / Seal... I lost my Edge about 2 months during last year for servicing this PTU/Seal Leak.

Ā 

If this is not the ultimate solution, i will turn back to the arbitration process "http://camvap.ca/eng/consumers_guide.htm" Enough is Enough

Ā 

I will be back with the results...

Keep us updated.

• 3 months later...

Ā 

Ā 

Update... My 2008 Limited is back in the shop. It is, in fact, a recurring problem. They originally replaced the axel and DPU seal. Well they are doing it again. Apparently there is no permanent fix for this problem. I don't want to think about how much this repair will cost after the warranty is over. I think I'm getting rid of this, or will lemon law this POS the next time it happens. Also, what the heck is the deal with the 20 inch wheels? Every time I turn slightly at any speed they start creeking like cheap warping plastic wheel covers on BMX bikes. Is it just me, or is the quality of products nowadays nonexistent. This is how automakers are trying to save money. Throw QA out the window. I had a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. The ONLY thing it went into the shop for after 85K miles was a faulty catalytic converter, serpentine belt, and brake pads. I'm not doing Ford again.

Update... My 2008 Limited is back in the shop. It is, in fact, a recurring problem. They originally replaced the axel and DPU seal. Well they are doing it again. Apparently there is no permanent fix for this problem. I don't want to think about how much this repair will cost after the warranty is over. I think I'm getting rid of this, or will lemon law this POS the next time it happens. Also, what the heck is the deal with the 20 inch wheels? Every time I turn slightly at any speed they start creeking like cheap warping plastic wheel covers on BMX bikes. Is it just me, or is the quality of products nowadays nonexistent. This is how automakers are trying to save money. Throw QA out the window. I had a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. The ONLY thing it went into the shop for after 85K miles was a faulty catalytic converter, serpentine belt, and brake pads. I'm not doing Ford again.

Ā 

I have a 2007 with 33k and the shop has had it more than me! Here is a list of problems I had..

Ā 

Cigarette butt stuffed in my condensate drain hole and water leaked into my cabin. The fix was to give me a free service plan.

Ā 

I had the burning smell in cabin. The fix was to replace seal and then eventually replace PTU/O.

Ā 

Rear view mirror darkens during the day leaving me blind to see. Not fix yet.

Ā 

Replaced OEM tires that chopped because of bad tierod.

Ā 

I'm getting a funny smell in the cabin again and is scheduled for the shop once more.

Ā 

I was hopping Ford would go belly up during this finical crisis. This Edge is a Lemon like every other Edge still being built. My next car will be a Honda!!

• 3 weeks later...

My 2008 Edge has 7,500 miles on it and it just began the burning rubber/plastic smell. We brought it in to Ford and they are replacing the Transmission Output Shaft Seal. I'm hoping that they have 'the fix' down by now and this will be the last time it's in?

Ā 

For some background, the smell began 1 week ago just as the weather turned cold; I drove about 6 miles on a highway at high speed and then as I stopped at a stoplight smoke came out from under the hood on the drivers side somewhere behind the battery area. After that initial trip I have not seen the smoke but smelled the burning. The car only smelled at a stop after the car had been moving. It has improved over the last week but it is still there occasionally.

Ā 

Glad to hear that this isn't just mine...sounds like it should be on a TSB if it hasn't been already.

Edited by cassies_master

• 2 weeks later...
My 2007 Edge has been worked on 3 times for the PTU seal and is starting to smell again. Has anyone filed a lemon law on this?

[font="Arial Black"]

My wife is driving an 08 MKX. With barely 1000 miles on it the burning smell appeared and the dealer replaced the PTU unit due to defective seals. I was told the units/seals had been redesigned and now should be fine. Today it is back at the dealership having the same maintenance done at 7600 miles. Great dealer and great treatment. Every automobile manufacturer like every manufacturer of anything makes errors. I am a liflong Ford fan, since 1959, and have had just one other major issue with a new Ford, the head gaskets on the 88 Taurus. This car is a very nice vehicle and when they finally get this problem fixed will be just terrific.[/font]

Edited by galaxieman

I just purchased a new 2008 Ford Edge Limited and it has about 1,000 miles on it and I am getting a burning smell. This smell is like a wax like burning smell. No leaks yet.

Ā 

Someone please say it is something else - catalytic converter or something else.

Ā 

You guys have me scared after reading this.

Ā 

Say it ain't so.

I just purchased a new 2008 Ford Edge Limited and it has about 1,000 miles on it and I am getting a burning smell. This smell is like a wax like burning smell. No leaks yet.

Ā 

Someone please say it is something else - catalytic converter or something else.

Ā 

You guys have me scared after reading this.

Ā 

Say it ain't so.

Ā 

Sorry to say it, but it's probably the PTU leaking.

Check under the car to make sure that you didn't get a plastic bag blown on to the exhaust pipe.

Ā 

The "classic" PTU leak smell usually works like this; When you drive your car and stop at a traffic light, parking spot, etc..., it will start the smell usually when you stop. You will usually have a very distinct smell and probally some smoke / haze coming in to the cabin from under the car.

Ā 

My Edge had the seals replaced and then the PTU last year. My car was one of the first and parts were not available so the process took over a month.

Now my Edge has started to smoke again this week and I have already made an appointment at the dealer. Just waiting for a loaner car to be available.

They said that since this has been a more common problem; the parts are more readily available, and the mechanic should be able to turn it over fast.

Ā 

The only thing that keeps me from totally freaking out is that the 5 yr. 50k powertrain warranty will cover this after I go over the 36k mile mark soon.

Ā 

Good luck

Sorry to say it, but it's probably the PTU leaking.

Check under the car to make sure that you didn't get a plastic bag blown on to the exhaust pipe.

Ā 

The "classic" PTU leak smell usually works like this; When you drive your car and stop at a traffic light, parking spot, etc..., it will start the smell usually when you stop. You will usually have a very distinct smell and probally some smoke / haze coming in to the cabin from under the car.

Ā 

My Edge had the seals replaced and then the PTU last year. My car was one of the first and parts were not available so the process took over a month.

Now my Edge has started to smoke again this week and I have already made an appointment at the dealer. Just waiting for a loaner car to be available.

They said that since this has been a more common problem; the parts are more readily available, and the mechanic should be able to turn it over fast.

Ā 

The only thing that keeps me from totally freaking out is that the 5 yr. 50k powertrain warranty will cover this after I go over the 36k mile mark soon.

Ā 

Good luck

Ā 

Ā 

And I could have bought an Acura RDX.

Edited by garyedwardsmith

One more for the list. 2008 Limited. ( don't know the build date ). Service tech said that it was highly possible that it was overfilled at the factory. Monitor fluids for a while and see what happens. Got a nasty feeling that I'll be in for a seal too. I do have an app. with another dealer to look at on Monday. Not going to take any chances.

I filed a complaint at www.safercar.gov If everyone on here that owns a leaker filed a complaint maybe they would come up with a fix. It is a safety hazard as it could and may have caused fires. They are interested in those kind of issues.

Ā 

Letter to Ford Customer Viewpoint P.O. Box 930 Ann Arbor MI 48106-9775. Yes, we should all write to Ford and go on this website:

Ā 

Ford Customer Service:

Ā 

I recently received your concern handling survey. My recent concern regarding the third maintenance on the PTU seal on my 2007 Ford Edge was handled satisfactorily. However, the issue has less to do with rating the service of the dealership than addressing the reoccurring PTU seal problem that thousands of Edge owners are experiencing. What is Ford going to do once the warranty expires? There are over 16,000 views on the Ford Edge Forum regarding this issue and over 2 pages of Edge owners posting frustration over second and third PTU seal replacements. Many who experience the smell and smoke again months later. If this last replacement does not solve the problem, what are my options? This is the first American car I have purchased. It has not been a good experience and this has nothing to do with the service I have received at the dealership. The problem is with the quality of your product!

I have called the Ford Customer Service number listed in the manual. It is supposed to be assigned to an engineer/service rep and they are supposed to contact me within the next 2 business days. If we all make noise to ford and the NTSB listed above maybe something will happen. Posting it on here is good info for other owners but unless we take it to the people responsible nothing will change. Aside from the leak being a dirty problem and an awful odor, keep stressing the fact of it being a safety hazard. The safety hazard to the occupants is more likely to get something done. They might not care about us being irritated by the leak but do they really want to risk someone getting burned? I read of a recall on the Mini Cooper just because the end of the tailpipe stuck out beyond the rear bumper and someone might come in contact with it and get a leg burn. If that was important enough for a recall I would think a fire breaking out underneath as we drive down the street would command some attention.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The customer service line asked what would be considered a resolution for me. I told them I either wanted a permanent fix or them to buy the vehicle back.

Hello to all, this is my first post after following the forum for many months. My 2007 black Edge is at the dealership today for the infamous burning smell, (Love it otherwise) tried to inform the dealership of all the info available online about the problem, they politely suffered my input. I will check back on the progress.

Got mine back today. They replaced 3 gaskets ( not sure which ). Their diagnosis was where the passneger axle came out of the transmission. They ordered that gasket and two other gaskets came with it ( a kit I guess ), so they replaced all three. Time will tell, but I am sure glad I didn't pay the bill.

Ford Contacted me. Mine is supposed to go in tomorrow. They are supposed to have an engineer look at the problem. Like they have not ever had this problem before. I am going to try and talk to the engineer. I have a theory, I am in the repair business so I know a little bit about it. It usually starts with a burning rubber smell. I believe the exhaust passes too close to the transfer case. The exhaust burns the rubber seal, then the leaking begins. Mine usually involves a long drive down the highway and when I stop I smell the rubber. It is my opinion the 200-300 mile highway run gets it hot enough to do damage.

Ā 

I had a gm vehicle that their engineers could not fix. I told them my theory and they discarded it. Finally I got mad and fixed it myself. They refused to reimburse me even though the problem was gone. It chaps me off to spend this kind of money on something then have to finish their design!

I got my 2007 Edge back same day, they said they were now all over this problem. They replaced the PTU cover seal, passenger side PTU intermediate shaft seal, deflector(?) and replaced the dylithium crystals. OK, the last one was made up, we'll see if this fixes the problem or if I am heading back to the dealership like so many others on this forum. The dealership is Pacifico-Marple Ford in Broomall, PA, awesome dealership, great sales and service people. I will report back if problem comes back.