Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

We dropped off my wife's 2007 Edge today. Have had the burning smell for some time. Realized after reading here that it is the PTU. They said they had to replace seals. I have read here that won't work, it needs to be entire unit. Any hope? Or am I just looking at bringing it back in a few weeks to have entire unit replaced? I printed out parts of this thread and gave it to them. They said it was "helpful". Any chance I am the first one at this dealership with this problem? It is a large Ford dealer in South Jersey.

My Dealership

That I go to, know me by my first name because I do alot of business with them and they have told me that it's a hit and miss with the ptu replacement. You might get it done and never have the problem again. In my case at the 7th replacement Ford decided to replace everything. They still say it might have to come in again but I hope not.

We dropped off my wife's 2007 Edge today. Have had the burning smell for some time. Realized after reading here that it is the PTU. They said they had to replace seals. I have read here that won't work, it needs to be entire unit. Any hope? Or am I just looking at bringing it back in a few weeks to have entire unit replaced? I printed out parts of this thread and gave it to them. They said it was "helpful". Any chance I am the first one at this dealership with this problem? It is a large Ford dealer in South Jersey.

Ā 

Ā 

I'm sure that if the dealership is big then they are way familiar with the problem. I bought mine at a small dealership in Maine and they had seen two prior to mine. More then likely you will be taking it back to have the whole ptu replaced after they try the easy/cheap way out. Maybe just replacing the seals on yours will do the trick, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

Ā 

Golfcart.. You are on your 7ptu? Thats just stupid, not to promising either. How long is it before you can claim it as a "lemon"? Dont they have a lemon law where you are?

Its little things like this which keep our American Car companies one step behind the Japanese and German manufacturers. The Edge is a great car with a lot of innovations and it can become an ICON for Ford if Ford would just put a little more support behind the car. Yeah, its great to see my car on a commercial every NY Yankees game or to see it trying to chase K.I.T.T. on Knight Rider but c'mon Ford, put some dealer service support behind the car that is saving Ford right now!! Sheesh!! :finger: :stats:

Its little things like this which keep our American Car companies one step behind the Japanese and German manufacturers. The Edge is a great car with a lot of innovations and it can become an ICON for Ford if Ford would just put a little more support behind the car. Yeah, its great to see my car on a commercial every NY Yankees game or to see it trying to chase K.I.T.T. on Knight Rider but c'mon Ford, put some dealer service support behind the car that is saving Ford right now!! Sheesh!! :finger: :stats:

Ā 

How, exactly, is Ford supposed to control the dealers?

Since the seal process is documented not to work, they could "control" their dealers by issuing a recall to the PTU from step 1 instead of incurring multiple repair instances and degrading customer experience. Not that hard.

They do control the dealers. They can put pressure on all the Service Managers to make sure that all customer complaints and comments are directed to the Service Managers. This way all issues would be addressed as they pop up. Also, if a specific problem should continue to show up Ford should issue a recall immediately. I bet if Ford did this, their CSI would go thru the roof and they would eventually catch up to Toyota! :rockon:

They do control the dealers. They can put pressure on all the Service Managers to make sure that all customer complaints and comments are directed to the Service Managers. This way all issues would be addressed as they pop up. Also, if a specific problem should continue to show up Ford should issue a recall immediately. I bet if Ford did this, their CSI would go thru the roof and they would eventually catch up to Toyota! :rockon:

Ā 

Recalls are for safety issues, not known problems. And if you think Ford has any influence over how the dealers perform service, other than what they cover or don't cover and how to do the repair then you don't understand automotive franchise laws. The dealers have way too much power and unfortunately every time Ford tries to do something to improve the customer experience the dealers sue them (and win).

Ā 

Go look up the infamous blue oval certified program that they tried to institute a few years ago. Gave the dealers monetary incentives to be certified which included a customer service score. Dealers sued and the program was reworked so that it was basically worthless.

Recalls are for safety issues, not known problems. And if you think Ford has any influence over how the dealers perform service, other than what they cover or don't cover and how to do the repair then you don't understand automotive franchise laws. The dealers have way too much power and unfortunately every time Ford tries to do something to improve the customer experience the dealers sue them (and win).

Ā 

Go look up the infamous blue oval certified program that they tried to institute a few years ago. Gave the dealers monetary incentives to be certified which included a customer service score. Dealers sued and the program was reworked so that it was basically worthless.

Ā 

Yeah I forgot about that one. I guess in a perfect world things would be the way we need them to be eh? :happy feet:

Yeah I forgot about that one. I guess in a perfect world things would be the way we need them to be eh? :happy feet:

Ā 

It's sad because I think it's really holding back the domestic mfrs. The imports don't have dealerships that have been around since the 50's and I'm sure they have more favorable franchise agreements that give them more control.

Ā 

I hope the new Ford management team will take a harder stance with bad dealers (while staying within the franchise laws of course) and do whatever it takes (including financial incentives if necessary) to fix the problem.

Whoever said I alredy knew the answer gets the gold star. We brought the 2007 Edge in Monday. Dropped off copies of this topic. They said it was very helpful (big dealer, so I would bet they have seen the problem, but maybe not?). Kept car until Tuesday and replaced seal. I asked why if they knew that generally failed. I was told they were told by Ford they had to start with the "least" repair and work up. (I'm sure they meant to get reimbursed for warranty work).

Ā 

By Thursday, the smell was back, worse than ever. My wife called and asked if it could be residual leakage. She was told no, they cleaned it well. So back this week we go.

DAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought it was nothing to worry about, strange thing is if I leave the heat on 32 HIGH TEMP for long periods at a time I smell this burning. I turn the heat down to 22-23 it goes away? I thought at first the heat was soooooo hot that it was heating up the plastic vents causing the smell, but after reading this long thread, I think I am in the same (BIG) boat as all of you guys! :( Monday Morning my Ford dealer is getting a phone call!

Edited by sonyguy19

My 2007 Edge has about 14,000 miles on it. I purchased it brand new in July of '07. The first couple of months I drove it, I intermittently felt a very harsh shift between 1st & 2nd gear, especially with light throttle. I took it in to the dealership where I purchased it and they were (of course) unable to get it to duplicate the problem. I even took them for a drive, but it did not do it. They said to just keep driving it and keep a diary of conditions that I noticed and to see if I could "make it do it". I did so. About 2 months ago, I began smelling that same burning smell. My husband is a mechanic and said that there were no leaks or anything that he could see. I began to think that it only smelled like that when I drove on wet roads. The burning smell only got worse, and as it did, the harsh shifting seemed to resolve itself. Last week, after about a 20 mile trip, I pulled into my driveway, and the thing smoked SO bad and started that severe burning smell, coming inside the vehicle, so bad it was burning my eyes. To make a long story short, it leaked a small amount of tranny fluid out on the drive. My husband checked it out & of course, it had a transmission leak. Seems to be a seal. I took it down to the dealership and am awaiting word. Thank goodness, it is still under warranty, but it concerns me greatly that it may happen again?! Other than that, I have NO complaints about my Edge. Oh wait, poor fuel mileage maybe. But I have a heavy foot. I only get about 18 mpg with my AWD, but my husband can average 25 mpg on a trip that he drives it for.? Love it otherwise.

My 2007 Edge has about 14,000 miles on it. I purchased it brand new in July of '07. The first couple of months I drove it, I intermittently felt a very harsh shift between 1st & 2nd gear, especially with light throttle. I took it in to the dealership where I purchased it and they were (of course) unable to get it to duplicate the problem. I even took them for a drive, but it did not do it. They said to just keep driving it and keep a diary of conditions that I noticed and to see if I could "make it do it". I did so. About 2 months ago, I began smelling that same burning smell. My husband is a mechanic and said that there were no leaks or anything that he could see. I began to think that it only smelled like that when I drove on wet roads. The burning smell only got worse, and as it did, the harsh shifting seemed to resolve itself. Last week, after about a 20 mile trip, I pulled into my driveway, and the thing smoked SO bad and started that severe burning smell, coming inside the vehicle, so bad it was burning my eyes. To make a long story short, it leaked a small amount of tranny fluid out on the drive. My husband checked it out & of course, it had a transmission leak. Seems to be a seal. I took it down to the dealership and am awaiting word. Thank goodness, it is still under warranty, but it concerns me greatly that it may happen again?! Other than that, I have NO complaints about my Edge. Oh wait, poor fuel mileage maybe. But I have a heavy foot. I only get about 18 mpg with my AWD, but my husband can average 25 mpg on a trip that he drives it for.? Love it otherwise.

Ā 

Ā 

Do you get an actual Headache when you drive your car? I dont know if its the burning smell but since I took delivery of my Edge, I get a headache if I drive the car after a while. Does this happen to anyone else? Please let me know.

Do you get an actual Headache when you drive your car? I dont know if its the burning smell but since I took delivery of my Edge, I get a headache if I drive the car after a while. Does this happen to anyone else? Please let me know.

I purchased my Ford Edge in June 07 and I am having the same problems, burning smell and the car never shifts smooth from 1 to 2 when driving normal. Today I pulled up to a parking spot and smoke came out from under the hood. I just called up my dealer and of course they have never heard anything about a burning smell or smoke in the car. Lastly, I do have a headache!!!

I purchased my Ford Edge in June 07 and I am having the same problems, burning smell and the car never shifts smooth from 1 to 2 when driving normal. Today I pulled up to a parking spot and smoke came out from under the hood. I just called up my dealer and of course they have never heard anything about a burning smell or smoke in the car. Lastly, I do have a headache!!!

Ā 

Is it an actual headache not related to stress? I get an actual headache if I am in the car for a while. Does this happen to you?

Is it an actual headache not related to stress? I get an actual headache if I am in the car for a while. Does this happen to you?

Ā 

Ā 

I don't usually get a headache from the smell. Yesterday it was exceptionally bad (smell and smoke) and it did give me a headache. I hate to say it, but this kind of stuff can happen when we buy a first generation car.

Hi,

Ā 

Just adding another case for the list. July 2007 Ford Edge AWD, 10,000 km or so (6000 miles to U.S. folks, I'm in Ottawa Canada).

Overall nice vehicle / generally happy (had one minor fix for 1/2 seat position which was never hooked up in factory, also the "sudden" shift issue between 1st and second is there).

BUT seems we have the evil smell also. Similar scenario - drive on highway for 10 minutes, then when you get off and are waiting at a stop light get a nasty smell.

At first we thought it was just because we were behind stinky cars exhaust, but we have seen it occur when no other cars around were running also - so started googling today.

Ā 

We don't think it's a winter only effect. It doesn't last long but the health effects of breathing burning (oil?) chemical fluids are concerning.

Ā 

Seems a lot of PTU talk, stories of replacing PTU 7 times and not fixed are started to scare me...

Ā 

Kudos to Ford or whoever put up the site, pre-internet days it was a lot harder to correlate these issues.

Ā 

Will pop in to dealer and see what they say. Would like to know how many of these they have seen, how many seals fixed the problem, how many it took a complete PTU replacement.

Ā 

Thanks,

Trev

:wacko: Add me to the list of ptu seal problems. I bought my edge in September. I only have 4,500 miles on it. A couple of months ago, I had that weird burning smell. Thought it was just some kind of burn off, but then on Friday, after taking a five minute drive to take my son to school, I pull in my driveway, and there is smoke coming from under the hood. I look under it, but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I told my husband, and I started the car again, and ofcourse, there was no smoke when he looked. An hour later, I had to run an errand, and it happened again. A whole lot of smoke. Took it to dealer, and they replaced the ptu seal. I hope there are no more problems. As for the others who are complaining about the car bucking, yes that was happening too. Guess it was from the transmission fluid leaking. Here's to Ford addressing the problem. I am a loyal ford customer. Have owned 2 mustangs, 2 escapes, and my husband has owned 2 f150's and a cargo van. Never had a problem with ford before.

Edited by anitadoll

A quick update for those of you out there...

Ā 

My 2007 SEL AWD has had 3 PTU's replaced thus far. The last one was done in mid-February when the odometer read 9200Km..

Service dept at my FORD dealership have been very supportive. They have been in constant talks with the FORD tech line.

Ā 

I was willing to give FORD one more try in order to resolve this issue, otherwise my next step was to involve CAMVAP (http://camvap.ca/eng/consumers_guide.htm) for those living in Canada. CAMVAP is a Canadian Government Vehicle Arbitration Plan...If you have a good case, you can bring the Car Manufacturer in front of an Arbitrator to have the issue resolved....

Ā 

So, last Monday, the conclusion from FORD was that the Front Right Drive Shaft needed replacement. So, on Tuesday off I go to the dealership. The drive shaft and PTU seal were replaced. Thus far, I've put in over 1000Km (took a long trip into the US this weekend) and so far, NO burning smell. Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed..

Alright Folks....I may have the answer for this problem.

Ā 

My 2007 AWD SEL started with this burning smell a few months ago. No leaks, no puddles, the odd smoke but mostly a strong burning oil smell in the car, especially when stoped at a light with the windows closed and the heater on.

Ā 

I live 15 minute away from the factory in Oakville so the dealer ship called in the engineers to look at the car. At first they could not find the problem, but on the second attempt tey identified the problem. It is the axle seal on the right (passager) side of the car. Only the right side is affected. THis problems seems to happen only in the AWD vehicles on the right side only. The problem is the type of seal they used and it is difficult to install. There first and second attempt failed and the seal still leaked. After the failed attempts they called in the Chief Engineer from Ford Oakville and between him and the dealership they developed a procedure for installing the seal. The third (or forth attempt as I lost track...) it looks like they got it. The smell is gone. The PTU was never replaced.

Ā 

THe delaer ship is Discovery Ford in Burlington. They know the procedure for the proper installation. It has to do with heating the seal in place to install it.

Ā 

Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2008 as of today. After about 50 miles, yes five-zero, the POS started smoking/burning oil. Top of the f'n line loaded edge and its behaving like a 20 y/o junker. Fix Or Repair Daily -- no kidding. I had it one day and it needs to be fixed. What does Ford care about your/my problems? They got your money.

Ā 

DON'T BUY FORD! If I can get out of this I'm heading back to the hills of GM land.

We just brought our new Edge home too. We immediately liked it.That is unusual for me, I am unfortunately very critical . I remarked several times about finding no problem with the car.Drives nice, not to big, not to small, smooth, turns nice......But here we are, 56 miles on the odometer, and the wrench and engine light come on.WTF? So I figure, hmmm, must be that burning smell coming from under the hood, maybe a wire or something is accidentally placed in the wrong area and it is being burnt.NOPE, here I come looking for info, about a burning oder.Now I see a transmission leak that can only be fixed by repeated trips and inconvenience's to the Dealer, where you have to battle your way through a gauntlet of those who are stupid and dont know anything, those that do know ,and wont help , and those who dont seem to think its a problem , having to repair a brand new vehicle, practically before it gets off the lot.Come on.If we are having an isolated problem that is bad.But if these are known defects, and they keep pumping them out, someone needs to go.We seem to be stuck buyng the Fords because of the incentives....I am not real excited about the goofy design, but they are like all the rest as far as that goes, and they grow on ya.I wonder what the numbers are on this tranny problem?