So they fixed it, you got an extended warranty and service plan at no extra cost and you didn't have to pay any additional fees or taxes.

I don't see the problem other than you simply wanted a new vehicle.

Yes- I wanted a new vehicle, that's why I bought a 2015 Edge.

My Edge was one of the first to alert Ford that there was a problem with the seal. The dealership was not even aware that there may be a problem with the new Edge as my Edge was THE FIRST 2015 the dealership had on its lot. Ford didn't know how to handle the problem or how many vehicles had been delivered with this problem. The buybacks started happening after mine was repaired.

Yes- it is fixed. Yes it is staying dry. My problem is that no one knows how long the water was there or what effects it may have had. I saw my car when they gutted the interior and there are a lot of wires etc in the drivers side where my wading pool was. In our area we get floods every now and then so I know personally how serious water damage can be. The problems aren't always immediately known and can sometimes take more than a year to manifest.

The reason I requested a replacement was that if there is some problem in the next few years I do not want to be stuck making payments on a car that was defective when I bought it. This vehicle was not "perfectly good." A perfectly good vehicle remains perfectly dry in the passenger cabin even when it rains.

You stated that "some people were offered buybacks immediately. Others who complained vehemently were not." I'm curious how you know this.

Be honest. Would you want to keep a BRAND NEW vehicle that had a puddle on the floor within 4 days of owning it?

Nobody knows what the long term effects of this type of water damage could lead to.

I know for sure I would not be satisfied and like they said, would not buy another Ford if handled in that way. Ford should have said we'll take it back and replace it with another. No questions asked. That is a HUGE quality snafu and I'm sure if you got lawyers involved, Ford would do the right thing.

Well said wingnut- I couldn't agree more.

Thanks

Yes- I wanted a new vehicle, that's why I bought a 2015 Edge.

My Edge was one of the first to alert Ford that there was a problem with the seal. The dealership was not even aware that there may be a problem with the new Edge as my Edge was THE FIRST 2015 the dealership had on its lot. Ford didn't know how to handle the problem or how many vehicles had been delivered with this problem. The buybacks started happening after mine was repaired.

Yes- it is fixed. Yes it is staying dry. My problem is that no one knows how long the water was there or what effects it may have had. I saw my car when they gutted the interior and there are a lot of wires etc in the drivers side where my wading pool was. In our area we get floods every now and then so I know personally how serious water damage can be. The problems aren't always immediately known and can sometimes take more than a year to manifest.

The reason I requested a replacement was that if there is some problem in the next few years I do not want to be stuck making payments on a car that was defective when I bought it. This vehicle was not "perfectly good." A perfectly good vehicle remains perfectly dry in the passenger cabin even when it rains.

You stated that "some people were offered buybacks immediately. Others who complained vehemently were not." I'm curious how you know this.

Well said wingnut- I couldn't agree more.

Thanks

It is very easy for someone to say "No big deal...your car is fixed and Ford said there is no sign of issues in the future" when their car is dry. Mine, luckily, was dry and 'fixed' before any flooding. I got lucky. But I can still see your point of view and agree that the car was defective from the moment it rolled off the line.

Some people just have to be in the driver's seat (pun intended) to finally grasp that what Ford did to those that didn't get a replacement was not right. Because I can assure you, any person here who paid for a brand new car and ended up with something that had water flowing in to the interior, does not feel they have a "perfectly good car".

Mine is a lease. And if Ford would have done me like they did so many with no buy back, ,it would be my last Ford for sure.

• Like 1

Some people just have to be in the driver's seat (pun intended) to finally grasp that what Ford did to those that didn't get a replacement was not right.

From an objective/legal perspective, if the problem is fixed and there is no mildew or evidence of rust or electrical damage then a buyback is not warranted. It's no different than an engine or transmission failing. That's how every product warranty works - if they can fix it they fix it and you're not entitled to a replacement, whether it happens on day 30 or day 300 unless there is an unconditional return policy and you're not going to find that on a new vehicle.

It would be great if Ford would offer such a proactive/no questions asked buyback/return service for problems like this. It would be fantastic for customers. I would love to be able to return a vehicle within 30 days or if it had a major problem in the first 6 months.

But from a business standpoint, it's completely unrealistic to expect Ford or any other volume vehicle mfr to do that. It's too expensive and they're not legally obligated to do that. You may not like it but that's reality.

I understand what the reality is.....and my point is I don't like it. I don't think it is good business.

It's not good business. Unhappy customers will spend their money elsewhere, so as my family replaces vehicles (we have 2 adults, 2 college students driving, and another getting her license this year) I will replace my Fords with something else. And before you jump up and say 'But every car can have problems!" Yep- but not every company will handle problems the same way, and maybe Chevy or Toyota would handle it differently. Who knows...

If you think other car companies do these kinds of buybacks on cars that have been repaired successfully you're dreaming. But you're certainly free to go try them out. Meanwhile I'm sure there are others who had the same experience with a Chevy or a Toyota who will be trying out a Ford.

If you think other car companies do these kinds of buybacks on cars that have been repaired successfully you're dreaming. But you're certainly free to go try them out. Meanwhile I'm sure there are others who had the same experience with a Chevy or a Toyota who will be trying out a Ford.

And I'm sure there are other car companies that don't let such leaks pass through QC on to delivery.

Not dreaming, just optimistic. Yes, I know and I will be. But honestly I'm hoping that there's never an opportunity for me to deal with something like this again.

BTW- you play like you've got skin in the game- your last name isn't Ford is it? smile- it's Friday

BTW- you play like you've got skin in the game- your last name isn't Ford is it? smile- it's Friday

No, no skin in the game. Just a good understanding of how businesses and car companies in particular operate.

I'll just shut up and let you guys vent even if I think it's unwarranted.

No, no skin in the game. Just a good understanding of how businesses and car companies in particular operate.

I'll just shut up and let you guys vent even if I think it's unwarranted.

Yea. People shouldn't vent about paying $30k+ for a brand new vehicle and being delivered a car that leaks water in to the interior.

Expectations for quality sure have tanked.

• Like 1

BTW - I completely agree that Edge quality is not where it should be. You think this leak issue is bad go talk to the 2007-2010 owners who had their fuel tanks fall apart and had to wait for months and months for a new one while their vehicle sat at the dealership. Ford did buy offer buybacks on those, too.

Yea. People shouldn't vent about paying $30k+ for a brand new vehicle and being delivered a car that leaks water in to the interior.

Expectations for quality sure have tanked.

Consumers get beaten down... get tired of fighting maybe... companies get used to providing less of everything- quality service product....

Anyway - wingnut- you've been helpful since my feet got wet and I found this forum. Thanks! When Edge and Lexus have a lovechild I'll be in line right behind ya

Cheers

• 5 weeks later...

Im new to the forum. I brought a 2007 ford edge with 150k miles and Im having the same problem. I thought this issue was in the new edges. I brought my edge because it was in excellent condition. I only had the car for 2 weeks now. I drove the car in the rain for 4 hours from Charlotte,NC to Atlanta, GA then thats

when I notice my drivers side floor mat was soaked. Any help for my 2007 edge. I like the my edge so far until this happened.

It's almost certainly not the same problem. Likely causes are a clogged moonroof drain ( if you have a moonroof ), a bad door seal or a clogged ac evaporator drain.

Thanks, you are right on. I found out that when the dealer service the car they did not put the door seal correctly and did not reconnect evaporator

drain. The water most likely came from the drain not being connected. I had to pull part of the drivers side carpet and insulation up to dry. This may

take a few days.

• 5 months later...

Hello all,

I bought a 2013 Edge from a Chrysler dealership. It was a 3-year lease vehicle.
I noticed a damp passenger side carpet. No puddles of water yet, but even the floor mat was wet once.
I have called my local Ford dealer, who was no help. I took it to an independent garage where the technician spent 6 hours tearing things apart to find nothing. He checked the cabin filter seals, the cowl and cowl seals, door seals, a/c drains, vent drains - everything he could thing of.
He then looked it up online and found either this forum or another. The technician firmly believes it is the a pillar seam/seal, but the 2013s are not mentioned in the TSB.
I just have no idea where to go from here.

No sunroof.

I'm guessing that it has been leaking at least since I bought it in March of last year. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't detailed it many times since I bought it. The floor mat was always covering it up.
As long as it has been going on, it is not something as simple as an open window.

Water is limited to dampness on the carpet in front of the passenger seat. Padding is wet up to the firewall.
I pulled the carpet back and went through a car wash. As the sprayer passed over the passenger side door to the hood, I could hear water trickling inside.
I do know for a fact this it is fresh water from the outside. The carpet is worse after rain or snow.
Wife and daughter have complained of a smell, but all I smell is my Katzkin leather conditioner.
The technician I took it to says he found a forum like this, where Ford reps were members, and he said that it mentioned the 2013s as well.
There is an outside chance that it may be the windshield or something with the cowl, but I still think it's the roof pillar.

Edited by Stratoblaster