Bought a 2015 edge on March 10th. 2 days ago the driver side floor was soaked. Took it to local dealer and it is now in the shop. No idea how bad it is but after 2 1/2 hours I was put in a rental. Contacted dealer today and asked why it wasnt caught by them. I was emailed the below showing that sealer was applied last June. I dont know if it just now started leaking but the dealer said they will work with us on whatever is needed. I am trying to find out how bad the shop thinks it is. Sealer for sure is not a guarantee is what I now know.

Build Date: 01.04.2015

28-JUNE-2015

DEALER: Avis RAC - Dallas

WARRANTY CLAIM NUMBER: 849661

ODOMETER: 005421M

PART NUMBER

PART DESCRIPTION

QUANTITY

LABOR OP

CONDITION CODE

CONDITION DESC

15B21A

MENDEZ, $5.00 - CHECK AND FOUND NO LEAK. APPLY URETHANE SEAM SEALER TO BOTH A PILER. LABOR OP 15B21A.

Edited by 2015Edgeleak

Kimda sounds like this either a buy-back, repair and sell as used or Avis noticed it was leaking again and dumped it for a different car to avoid the difficulty of having it repaired again.

They did the repair, checked and found no leaks, and now six months later it's leaking again. Either the repair was poorly done or the sealer is a stop-gap and is prone to fail over time. Whatever the cause, it's a real concern. How many others on the road have failed or will fail?

I think it be wise to avoid any Edge or MKX that was built during the "quality is job 2" phase and either go with an earlier or later model.

What the hell happened to the quality control at that plant? Thousands of cars with the same serious defects.

Edited by enigma-2

Interesting thing is that the dealership when certifying the vehicle did not check for leaks because it has had the sealer applied. I cant wait to hear from the shop as to how bad the damage is. I am worried this is going to linger on.

How would the dealership check? Rip the car apart and sped hours? NO...Certifying is for safety not for leaks...

How would the dealership check? Rip the car apart and sped hours? NO...Certifying is for safety not for leaks...

So you as a dealership would rather sell a car and "hope" it doesnt leak? I didnt say that it was part of certifying the top guy at the dealership said himself. If they did not have a report showing it was sealed they would have done it. Knowing now that either A. The seal is a stop gap fix and not long term or B. It wasnt done correctly. Ford is going to have to do something now arent they? Doing nothing is not the answer.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bought My Edge back in November of 2015 and same issue as other are experiencing drivers side carpet wet.

Service told me my car was built in October and these repairs should of been caught at the Factory. Well I guess for only a few since mine still leaks.

Will be taking it back once again for the third time. They supposedly had fixed it on the second trip back to service Right?????

One unhappy Ford owner. I should of stuck with Acura and bought the RDX instead....

Hey dadspackard

Just in car no one has said this yet, I am SO SORRY you are dealing with this. I had my 2015 Edge for 4 days when I discovered the wading pool in the driver's floorboard. After contacting Ford and our dealership it became a standoff between us and 'them.' I hope you have gotten some resolution on this. I've seen various outcomes from buybacks to repairs w/free maintenance agreements and at this point I'm not sure what the right choice is. I had my Edge repaired to avoid paying the taxes, title tags fees for a second time and I have enjoyed the vehicle. That being said, I am familiar with water damage and keep my fingers crossed that I made the right choice. Best of luck to you- fight for what's right and fair.

Hey dadspackard

Just in car no one has said this yet, I am SO SORRY you are dealing with this. I had my 2015 Edge for 4 days when I discovered the wading pool in the driver's floorboard. After contacting Ford and our dealership it became a standoff between us and 'them.' I hope you have gotten some resolution on this. I've seen various outcomes from buybacks to repairs w/free maintenance agreements and at this point I'm not sure what the right choice is. I had my Edge repaired to avoid paying the taxes, title tags fees for a second time and I have enjoyed the vehicle. That being said, I am familiar with water damage and keep my fingers crossed that I made the right choice. Best of luck to you- fight for what's right and fair.

I had a return/buy-back with Ford once and they sent me a check for the tax.

I had a return/buy-back with Ford once and they sent me a check for the tax.

Ford was completely unsympathetic as we talked to several people over and above our dealership. Each of these people dumped the problem back on the dealership and it was up to them to rectify the problem. The dealership replaced carpet and padding, provided us with extended warranty and service agreement- at their expense. My Edge sat on the dealer's lot for weeks after being repaired while we tried to get Ford to do SOMETHING since this was Ford's fault and not the fault of the dealership. Ford would NOT buy back or replace the car. So far I've had no further problems with my repaired Edge, but I will not be buying another Ford

So they fixed it, you got an extended warranty and service plan at no extra cost and you didn't have to pay any additional fees or taxes.

I don't see the problem other than you simply wanted a new vehicle.

Be honest. Would you want to keep a BRAND NEW vehicle that had a puddle on the floor within 4 days of owning it?

Nobody knows what the long term effects of this type of water damage could lead to.

I know for sure I would not be satisfied and like they said, would not buy another Ford if handled in that way. Ford should have said we'll take it back and replace it with another. No questions asked. That is a HUGE quality snafu and I'm sure if you got lawyers involved, Ford would do the right thing.

Would I want to keep it? Maybe not, but I wouldn't expect Ford or any other mfr to buy back a perfectly good vehicle that has been satisfactorily repaired.

As long as there is no rust or mildew and no electrical problems it should be fine. Ford can't buy back every vehicle that has a problem in the first few months.

Now if the problem can't be fixed in a reasonable amount of time or there is evidence of long term damage that's a different issue. Ford did buy back a lot of Edges for just that reason. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

"Perfect good vehicle"? - It was leaking water to the point of pooling on the floor. That is not "PERFECT" by any means. That car was built defective.

Again, there is no telling right now if there is any rust, mildew, or electrical problems. They could be there but have yet to make themselves know yet.

I don't expect Ford to buy back EVERY vehicle that has issues. But I think this issue makes the vehicle defective. Especially if it did flood at one point. If they catch it prior to getting wet and fix it....so be it.

Having a vehicle come off the assembly line that leaks water from day 1 is not acceptable and should be returned / exchanged at no cost to the customer. That is what we call the cost of poor quality. You eat that cost, and watch how things turn around in the future. We just sit back and say "Oh no biggie", these issues will continue because the expectation is the customer will just live with it.

• Like 1

I understand the desire and I don't blame a customer from wanting a new vehicle (or any new product for that matter).

I've said it would be great if Ford would proactively offer buybacks for problem vehicles. But that's not reality in today's business environment for most companies. If the vehicle can be fixed they're going to fix it.

Ford did buy back some Edges with water leaks no questions asked, so they obviously have guidelines as to whether the vehicle is repairable or not.

It should never be acceptable in any day's business environment to deliver a defective vehicle that cost over $30k and expect the customer to accept repairs that fixed an issue that led to water damage of the interior. That is unacceptable. A bad tire....fine. A bad battery....fine. A bad radio....fine.

But a car not properly built to withstand some rain which leads to water damage 4 days after delivery should never be acceptable. I don't care how much it cost Ford to build. They built it incorrectly which led to damage to the vehicle. Quality failed this badly and should be the ones on the hook for it. Not the customer.

And you are a great example of why Ford has to be pushed to do the right thing. Too many people willing to give them the benefit of he doubt instead of standing up for what is right.

• Like 1

You can jump up and down and say it's unacceptable but the reality is you're not going to change that policy with Ford or any other mfr.

You can call it a defeatist attitude, but it's simple business reality. The only way Ford would change this is if it was affecting sales.

But if it makes you feel better to vent about it, go ahead.

I'm sure your view would be a lot different if that MKX was a swimming pool the day after you picked it up and Ford said: "Ooopss....LOL...Sorry. We'll just fix up that for ya. Oh no worries....that pool shouldn't cause any issues in the future."

It is a complete defeatist attitude hence why some got what they deserved with a buyback and others just take what Ford told them.

I would have had a lawyer contacting Ford if they told me "tough sh*t we can sell you a defective car all we want".

You know what Ford would tell the lawyer? We fixed the problem. The factory warranty is still in effect. There is no evidence of future problems. Case closed.

The problem with your argument is that it's no longer defective. Regardless of what problem occurred and when, if it's repaired under warranty then it's no longer a defective vehicle - legally speaking.

If it can't be fixed then that falls under lemon law.

It is a complete defeatist attitude hence why some got what they deserved with a buyback and others just take what Ford told them.

That had nothing to do with it. Some people were offered buybacks immediately. Others who complained vehemently were not. It had to do with the extent of the water damage and which components were involved and to what degree.