Motor Trend Comparison

In my opinion, to pit the Edge Sport against the Murano, and especially the Santa Fe, is nonsensical in the first place. The Edge is almost in premium territory.

The Edge is much more responsive, more powerful, has better handling. The AWD technology seems superior as well on the Edge. Sound insulation is a lot better in the Edge.

Overall a very superficial review lacking a lot of technical details.

Etienne.

Reviewers, including these guys, run in subjective mode, the same way we do when picking a vehicle.

Question: if the Edge did not exist, would you pick one of the two others in that car review, or turn away until something else was created?

We look at what's available, create a short list based on very personal criteria (for most, I think) and then go out to get the best price.

What's the best vehicle overall? There's no answer, it depends, it depends on what turns you on (while it may turn the other guy off).

Well... The center stack in the new Edge is probably the most bland and boring part of the car. It's just matte gray plastic with round buttons. It's not visually interesting. And everybody hates Sync 2 in the reviewer community. My bet is that once Sync 3 is released reviewers will be all saying "the Edge has the edge on the competition" You watch.

The Murano looks horrible in pictures, but looks better in person. The Santa Fe is lame. I don't care what anybody says. But Ford didn't help themselves by making the Edge's front end look so similar to the Santa Fe.

I think they brought the wrong Edge to this party. Seems like a Titanium would have been a better comparison.

The only thing they liked was the power and handling of the Sport, so bring the Titanium would not have changed their minds. Edited by blitz118

It outperformed the others by a huge margin and comes in last. Gotta love it!

I drove the Titanium with a 3.5 but after getting the taste of the Sport with the 2.7 ecoboost and better suspension I had to go that route.

My comparison was different: why spend the $$ on a Porsche Macan or Audi SQ when you can get the same performance and tech in the Edge Sport?

This is the first review I read for the 2015 Edge Sport showing 0-60 mph time. 5.7s is very good indeed. That is the only part of the review I actually cared for. I agree with the others, they should have picked a 2.0 SEL or Titanium to make it a fair comparison, similarly equipped to the others & would have faired well in terms of price, performance, ride & MPG. A loaded 2.0 Titanium with 19" wheels which has more features than the Murano (Auto Park, Hands free liftgate, 2nd row Inflatable seat belts) is still ~ $500 less than the tested Muran (neck to neck with the optional 3.5L Engine)

Selecting the Sport model & then saying the ride was harsh is not fair.

Also, regarding MFT, I also have a 2013 Nissan Altima with the 8" Nav/infotainment screen (should be similar to the Murano's), and even though it is faster than the MFT, I still prefer Ford's MFT as it is still smarter & can do more compared to Nissan's.

Edited by omar302

I usually don't take much from these reviews. You can put 100 reviewers in the same exact cars and get a lot of different opinions. No one, two, or three people can tell you what is best for you or anyone else.

Before getting my edge, I watched a lot of reviews on vehicles like the RDX, Edge, Murano, etc. Then I went myself and test drove them. Some of the reviews I agree with....some were just way off compared to my experience.

Of course the Edge already had a hand up in the competition for me since I've always wanted one, I like Ford, and I knew I could get a nice discount on one. But I figured I'd give the competition a chance. Mostly everything pointed in the Edge's favor.

The one thing I did like about the RDX was the options. You pretty much had 2 options. So it was easy to compare prices vs. other dealers. Instead of saying this one has 1B, 3G, and 4F while that dealer is cheaper with 5A, 1B, etc.... It really makes it difficult for an uneducated buyer.

In the end I'm happy. I like gadgets, and the Edge has them all. I like Ford. I like what I pay for a loaded vehicle. I like the way it handles and I'm not going to be off pavement much. Yea there may be 'better' vehicles out there, but I doubt I could get them at this price.

The Murano looks horrible in pictures, but looks better in person. The Santa Fe is lame. I don't care what anybody says. But Ford didn't help themselves by making the Edge's front end look so similar to the Santa Fe.

The subaru outback front grille is also very similar, but nobody seems to complain. It's impossible to criticize what Subaru does anyway, and whenever that happens Subaru fans get very heated.

The subaru outback front grille is also very similar, but nobody seems to complain. It's impossible to criticize what Subaru does anyway, and whenever that happens Subaru fans get very heated.

It does look very similar to the Subaru Outback too. But I honestly think the Santa Fe looks closer for some reason. Right before the Edge started shipping I was trying to keep an eye out for it and I kept seeing the Santa Fe out of the corner of my eye and turning to look only to find out it wasn't the Edge after all!

I am actually kind of surprised how conservative the front end of the Edge is compared to the back end. It looks kind of boring from the front, but the back side looks dynamic and modern.

I'm not really sure what the goal was with the design. The interior has some of the same contrasting design cues. The center stack is all function and no form. Easy to feel round buttons with non-offending matte gray finishes. Then all around you have contrast stitching with up to 3 more interior colors, If you opt to get the cognac interior, you get charcoal for the bottom half of the cabin, brown seating surfaces, and light gray for the entire headliner. All those contrasting colors really tell a different story than that center stack which is bland by comparison.

Typical Motor Trend drivel, TOTAL waste of band width to post on-line. They must have owed Nissan a Huge favor, all the testers had issues with the Nissan which was the slowest/worst in almost every test category..... But forget the facts, claim it's best for purely subjective reasons. What a bunch of crap! Same deal with the Hyundai.

What do I think? I call BS.

HEY, I looked at the other two vehicles. Actually I waited for the Nissan to come out

before I purchased my Sport. The Nissan looks nice inside, but didn't feel good to me. Didn't like the way it drive and hated the looked outside. Looked great in photos, not so in person.

Once I drove the Sport I was sold.

My 2 cents.

It outperformed the others by a huge margin and comes in last. Gotta love it! I drove the Titanium with a 3.5 but after getting the taste of the Sport with the 2.7 ecoboost and better suspension I had to go that route. My comparison was different: why spend the $$ on a Porsche Macan or Audi SQ when you can get the same performance and tech in the Edge Sport?

That's funny. Those are the exact other vehicles I looked at before buying the Edge and came away with the same exact conclusion as you. It's interesting to see this car compete against 70k 'luxury' vehicles :)

Our criteria included something most people don't care about. It has to be towable 4 down behind a motor home and needs to be less than 5,000#. That's why we bought our 2011 over 4 years ago and why we will buy a 2016 Edge Sport early next year.

Otherwise the 2011 was not our first choice. But, having driven the new Edge Sport, it is a first choice. We like everything about it.