Sensors making noise for no reason

JOEHIO

I know this is the Edge forum, but I think if I posted to Lincoln MKS forum, I wouldn't get much response/advice, it has very few visitors. Got my wife a new '15 MKS about a month ago, every option, front rear sensors, park assist, the works. We can be at a traffic light or stop street, and the sensors (front/rear ???) start going off for no reason. We had a person walk past the car this morning, and it stared going beep, beep, drives ya nuts. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this with their vehicle. I have to make an apt with the dealer, just wondering if anyone has input on this. Thanks, Joe

There is a different sound between the front and rear sensors, chances are it's the front sensors that are picking something up. I don't believe the Edge has ever been available with front sensors, so I doubt you'll get many responses here either. Have the dealer check it out, there might be some alignment they can do, but I have had false sensors triggers on several different Ford vehicles once in a while. Oddly there's even one particular intersection I drive through every day that trips them, even in several different vehicles, but always at the same intersection.

IIRC they're ultrasonic in operation, so anything with mass will set it off. they're triggered on my 2011 Edge when someone walks near it while I'm backing. Also .. when I back down the driveway to leave, if I'm close to the fence line (3-4 feet) it'll trigger on that as well.

Just made an apt today with the dealership to bring it in next week. Waiting until then, yesterday just had a second stent put in my heart for

a blockage, had 1 day back on the 8th of the month. Will se what the dealer finds. As I reported earlier, never had this issue with the ;09 MKS or my '12 MKX. This happens when the car is in DRIVE, not only a backing up issue. Can be at a traffic light, someone can pull up next to me, and start getting beep, beep, beep.........................................very annoying. :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So you are using a carrier of some sort, crchet? Parking Aids section of the manual starts around pg 183. There may be, as Joe said, a way to turn the system off ...

Certain add-on devices such as large
trailer hitches, bike or surfboard racks
and any device that may block the
normal detection zone of the system, may
create false beeps.

Note: If you attach certain add-on devices
such as a trailer or bike rack, the rear sensing
system may detect that add-on device and
therefore provide warnings. It is suggested
that you disable the rear sensing system
when you attach an add-on device to your
vehicle to prevent these warnings.

Apparently on the F150s, you can press the odometer reset button while the system is beeping to turn it off.

Pg 103/107: If you scroll through the menus, there should be a DRIVER ASSIST section when you can uncheck the Rear Parking Aid feature to disable it.

Pg 119: If MyKey is enabled, Park Aid cannot be deactivated.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

• 5 months later...

I just installed a Yakima bike hitch rack on my Edge. The first thing I noticed is that it pretty much rendered the backup and cross traffic features useless.

For the Ford engineers who happens to be crawling through the forum looking for improvement ideas: Could you add a way to teach the sensor system to understand the new 'norm' so that people can add attachments to the rears of the vehicle and still use the very useful backend and cross traffic features?

Perhaps you could avoid blocking the sensor's by using an elevated bike rack? Another advantage is these will parallelogram out to allow to hatch to open while the bikes are still attached for easy access to the cargo space.

Here's one example of what I'm talking about (click on the video to see how it works): http://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-softride-element-parallelogram-hitch-bike-racks-2015-toyota-highlander-sr26248.aspx

Edited by enigma-2

• 2 weeks later...