Real leather seats or fake "pleather"?

Hi everyone,

I haven't purchased my first Edge yet; I'm holding out for the 2016 model. I'm not sure which trim I'll be purchasing quite yet, either the SEL or Titanium. Of course, with the higher trims, leather seats come standard. I'm really against having real leather seats, for certain ethical reasons. Does anyone know if Ford "leather" is *really* leather? I've heard that some car manufactures' leather is actually fake for practicality and cost efficiency.

If so, is it possible to special order a vehicle before it's even on the lot? Sorry, that may be a newb question, but this is my very first new car purchase. All of my other purchases have been used cars!

Thanks!

I would think if they say leather and not state that the "leather" is man made materials then Ford could be sued for false advertising and product labeling which would be a very costly trick. I am sure that it is leather. However just remember quality is also a determining factor in the feel of the leather. I am sure other materials that do not touch and massage your hiny are not leather and mentioned in the literature that those materials are man made. This practice does cut down costs, but is noted in the sales materials.

• Like 1

Interesting.. Thanks guys! Do you know if I can special order once the 2016s are out? How does that process work?

Ā 

You can special order at any time the order banks are open, which happens before production even begins so dealers can queue up their orders. Yours won't be built until the plant starts shipping directly to dealers which is usually 4-6 weeks after job1.

Ā 

All you do is tell the salesperson what you want as far as options and colors and models (just use the online build and price tool, print out the summary and hand that to the salesperson and say "this is what I want"). They can do a dealer search and see if another dealer in the area has one in stock the way you want it and if so they may be able to trade for it. If not they can place the order. They may or may not require a deposit (usually $500). 4-8 weeks later it should arrive.

• Like 2

... and the leather was harvested humanly from animals that had recently deceased from other "natural" causes. So, either seats in my US made luxury car or the burn pile. I vote seats ! I even have a plaque with Bessie's name on the drives seat in her memory.

Most leather comes from Indian cattle, which are raised specifically for their hides. Not only am I concerned with supporting this inhumane business, but the process of tanning leather is all but pretty. Workers earn very little wage and their bodies are exposed to carcinogenic chemicals. Not to mention what the process does to the environment and ecosystem. It's enough to make anyone's stomach turn. I wasn't here to explain my ethical choice, but thank you for your input. Looks like my only option is to either special order cloth (which I'm not entirely sure is possible) or to just find another car. :-(

Ā 

http://mashable.com/2014/11/17/leather-tanneries-india/

Most leather comes from Indian cattle, which are raised specifically for their hides. Not only am I concerned with supporting this inhumane business, but the process of tanning leather is all but pretty. Workers earn very little wage and their bodies are exposed to carcinogenic chemicals. Not to mention what the process does to the environment and ecosystem. It's enough to make anyone's stomach turn. I wasn't here to explain my ethical choice, but thank you for your input. Looks like my only option is to either special order cloth (which I'm not entirely sure is possible) or to just find another car. :-(

Ā 

http://mashable.com/2014/11/17/leather-tanneries-india/

Ā 

I think you mis-understand what "special order" means. You can only order what Ford offers, in other words, what you can configure on the online build-and-price site. You cannot special order a LTD without leather seats.

I was in the leather business for over 20 years. (We cut the seats for the Chrysler Cordoba, red and Green metallic leather LOL) My 2007 Edge has leather. The front seats have all leather on the seat bottoms and the seat backs. The side pieces are Vinyl. The back seats have leather center inserts with vinyl surrounding them seat bottom and seat back.. The leather used is a high quality top grain cowhide finished with an opaque solid stain. It needs to be tough to stand up to the asses driving on them. The use of leather only in seating areas is to make the product affordable and still look attractive. In my opinion good job Ford.

My friend just bought a Lexus RX200t. The seats are 100% vinyl. The salesmen told him how this is a great improvement over leather. The vinyl used really looked nice but it was too perfect. It was soft and I imagine the that it will get hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I wander what they will look like in 6 of 7 years when the PVC dries out and they start cracking.

I don't believe the seats in the Edge have changed through the 2014 year model. Maybe I'm wrong but they sure look the same. After 94,000 miles mine look great.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...