How many would consider a Ford Flex?

robertlane

How many Edge owners would consider buying a Ford Edge? Why or why not? Do you think it will have a cult following?

We're planning to buy either an Edge or MKX later this year. I like the Flex and would at least consider it, but the wife says it's hideous.

I think it will be a big market success (relative to how many the plan to make) and will do well. The exterior is distinctive in a love it or hate it kind of way rather than being boring and unnoticed - so that will definitely help. But I think the interior room and features is what will seal the deal.

I went to the Fprd Flex web site and did the "Build and Price" excercise. Based on the pricing I saw, it was too high to keep my interest, so I bought the Edge to go along with our MKX.

In monitoring the Flex site, I see there were several pricing levels that Ford displayed, to judge acceptance. I must have gotten the high end range of prices. I told them in their survey that the prices were too high for the perceived value and decided not to wait. Had I tried it with the lower range of prices, I might have waited for the Flex. We will see where they price it when it's released.

Not sure why they need the FLEX since the Edge and MKX fit most needs very well.

I went to the Fprd Flex web site and did the "Build and Price" excercise. Based on the pricing I saw, it was too high to keep my interest, so I bought the Edge to go along with our MKX.

In monitoring the Flex site, I see there were several pricing levels that Ford displayed, to judge acceptance. I must have gotten the high end range of prices. I told them in their survey that the prices were too high for the perceived value and decided not to wait. Had I tried it with the lower range of prices, I might have waited for the Flex. We will see where they price it when it's released.

Not sure why they need the FLEX since the Edge and MKX fit most needs very well.

Wider, much longer, 3rd row seating, "gotta have it" styling. The bigger question is whether they need the Flex, Taurus X and Explorer (especially once the explorer goes unibody).

Can't do the TaurusX/Freestyle....just too hideous for me.

We have an E350 right now, but it's TOO big for everyday usage. I do love the Edge, but fear it might be too small since we have four mutts since it will replace the E350.

I do like the Flex and I know it's a love it or hate it type of vehicle. But it appeals to me and has the room that we need.

• 1 month later...

Flex pricing is a bit higher than I expected, and much higher than the Taurus X. They're aiming for a higher price point, so it's going to come down to the perceived quality of the interior and how much people like the exterior.

I've entered pricing into TrueDelta's pricing database, to enable thorough comparisons for pricing and features:

Car price comparisons

• 4 months later...

LOL! As a Travellall family at one time (3 of them) I can see that :)

-Larry

I'm considering it as I really miss the room the minivan gave me. Almost got a Freestyle but it didn't spin my crank nor was the seat height all that high.

But I'd have to get over the feeling I'm buying an International Travel-All.

• 2 weeks later...
How many Edge owners would consider buying a Ford Edge? Why or why not? Do you think it will have a cult following?

I am considering both, but I just can't belive that the Flex and the Edge get the same mpg. The Flex seems to be much heavier and yet has the same the power train. But the flex size might make towing easier, yet all the Edge owners seem to have no problem towing stuff.

I will wait to see what 2010 brings. Hopefully 3.5 EcoBoost!!

saw my first Flex on the road about a week ago... nice lookin car!!

much bigger than shown in pictures. it's like seeing a super-sized Mini or bigger (late model) Scion XB, but with the Ford styling and build. the one I saw was the standard launch maroon. it's kind of like when the Edge was released and every one you saw was the Blazing Copper Metallic

I wouldn't swap out my Edge to buy one, but if I knew anyone who needed a people mover I'd definitely recommend the Flex!!

Edited by bri719

• 2 weeks later...

We first test drove the Flex and liked it, but as empty-nesters with two-four grandchildren as occasional passengers, we felt it was too much car for our everyday use. We tested the Edge and liked it so much that we ordered it with 20-inch wheels, moonroof, and nav system. The dealer found what we wanted here in Michigan and tomorrow we will pick it up. Our son brought our attention to the Flex several weeks ago. He is a former Explorer owner and sees the Flex as a possibility for him and his family.

As my brother works the line...... he says the Flex is impressive... he liked it... nice design and very sharp looking in the lots at Oakville..

Sounds like the real life version of the Flex might be more impressive in person than on paper...

You are so right. If I were to have answered this question a few days ago, I would have flat out said NO. I was at my local dealership yesterday (2nd time this week) getting the MKX serviced & checked out the cars while I was there. The Flex is FAR more impressive in person then you would ever think by looking at the pics. The one I sat in was an SEL,black with black leather. The interior is quite well appointed & very comfortable. The exterior I guess is either love it or hate it.

I spent a couple of hours online reading up on it. There is a long list of options for it. One it doesn't seem to have that would be nice is cooled seats. Heated seats are available though. Eco-boost would make it a real standout. Needless to say, my opinion has changed & I would concider buying one.

Edited by MKX2007