Would you consider this a NEW car?

squeaky

So I picked up my Edge yesterday

I knew my dealer traded with another dealer to get so I expected some miles on it

When I get there he tells me it has 600 miles on it because it has been traded a couple times

My daughter exploring the car finds a hair clip in the seat back pocket

Then I look at it and the mileage is closer to 700 miles

To me this just does not seem like a new car, should I be upset?

Edited by squeaky

Sounds like the Edge you bought was a dealer's designated test drive vehicle. If the vehicle was never registered, it's considered a "new" vehicle regardless of the mileage.

When I bought my first "new" car, which was a '90 5.0 Mustang I totally missed that the car was a used car on the contract. It was voluntary repo (the original buyer's financing fell through or at least that's what the dealer told me) and the car had 368 miles on it. Check your dealer contract/bill of sale and see which box is checked new or used.

Long story short, I didn't have any issues with my 5.0 back then and I'd expect that you wont either; enjoy your NEW Edge!

Also dealers can sell from each other's lots and trade vehicles back and forth. The Edge could have originally been delivered to a dealer in another state, hundreds of miles away. It could have then been traded between dealers for other vehicles before ending up at your dealership. Thats pretty common. Dealers can sell directly from the lots of other dealers or they can "trade" vehicles in order to make sales. My last car was a 2014 Fusion Hybrid that got sold to me from a lot on the other side of the state and racked up a few hundred miles before it got to me.

The hair clip probably didn't come from a customer. Dealerships hire "courier drivers" who drive cars back and forth between dealers and auctions. i'd bet it came from one of them. Otherwise, probably a test drive vehicle as suggested above.

That's what torquer meant - traded with another dealer.

If you think about it that's only 2 weeks worth of driving so not a huge deal although it's not a pleasant surprise. But that's always a risk with a dealer trade since you can't see the vehicle first.

Just make sure it was titled as a new car and not a used car as was mentioned.

Dealers cannot sell from each others lots. Each dealer owns the vehicles and has to trade with another if they both agree to it. Each dealer is under no obgliation to trade and can refuse.

Rules may be different in your state but they absolutely can do so in MN, WA, and CA - all states I've purchased Fords in. In fact, my local dealership will "hide" vehicles they've purchased specifically to avoid other dealers poaching their vehicles. Remember that most dealers don't actually own a lot of their inventory. Ford provides vehicles to dealers so they don't have to pay up front. Imagine how financially burdensome it would be to start a new dealership and have to pay in cash for potentially hundreds of new vehicles for your lot. The financial arrangements with the factory on dealer inventory, warranty repairs, etc are all extensive and confusing.

This is how it is with a lot of factory dealerships and not limited to just cars. My family has been in the copier business for ages and rarely do they have to actually buy showroom inventory from the factory. It is provided under something like a lease agreement at least for a period of time. That way the dealer can have inventory without a huge outlay.

I don't think any dealer can take a vehicle from another dealer unless they agree to a swap, even if it's on a Ford floorplan.

That flies in the face of allocations.

I never said they can literally just go take a car, just that they can sell from another dealer's lot. Sometimes that involves trading another car from the lot of the "taker" and sometimes it involves an inventory credit back to the dealer who is giving up the car. Its not like they are taking them in the night :) They are strongly encouraged by Ford to allow these trades and off-lot sales, though, because Ford ultimately usually owns the inventory anyway and is more interested in any sale than any particular dealer only selling from their own on site inventory. Of course both dealers have to agree to it - I never intended to suggest otherwise.

For the purposes of a "new" vehicle, is your concern the warranty and whatnot? I would expect the warranty to be 36,000 miles from when you took delivery - so, 36,689 or whatever the actual mileage is when you do the paperwork. One of the pieces of paperwork will be an affidavit of the odometer as part of your vehicle title process. I'm sure if you had an issue at 36,400 and you got any flak from the service department, a phone call and a copy of the paperwork would solve the problem in a jiffy.

Thanks everyone

I think my biggest complaint is I expected a brand new car off the truck originally, then due to a mistake on their part they no longer had it coming off the truck in stead needed to trade for it

Now I understood I would get something with a few miles instead I am given a car with almost 700 miles more of a shock then anything else I guess. The other thing running through my head was I saw "used" vehicles listed elsewhere with mid 700 miles

700 miles seems excessive for a "new" vehicle that has been dealer traded. It sounds like a demo vehicle.

Personally, I'd expect a discount or something thrown in special especially if you already agreed on the price without knowing about the mileage.

I'd also expect your warranty to not expire until 30,700.

First they make a mistake about their inventory? Something doesn't sound right. Sounds to me like they had one coming to them, someone else wanted it too, and they agreed on a price they couldn't pass up. I don't like dealers like this.

700 miles seems excessive for a "new" vehicle that has been dealer traded. It sounds like a demo vehicle.

Personally, I'd expect a discount or something thrown in special especially if you already agreed on the price without knowing about the mileage.

I'd also expect your warranty to not expire until 30,700.

First they make a mistake about their inventory? Something doesn't sound right. Sounds to me like they had one coming to them, someone else wanted it too, and they agreed on a price they couldn't pass up. I don't like dealers like this.

By law (at least in most states), warranties and leases start at the mileage on the odometer as reported to the DMV during the sale, not at 0.

Plus one on this though - you should receive a discount. If they want sticker (or god forbid even more), tell them you want a car with less than 15 miles on it or you walk.

Both edge sports we recieved had under 12km on them.....the first one had 4km and the second had 9 km. My wife would have blown a head gasket had our dealer tried that with us.

My concern would be how the vehicle was driven( for 700 miles)....many test drives turn into "Drive it like you stole it".

Edited by cds71

• 7 months later...

I was working on a deal when I bought my '16 Edge Sport only to later find the price was so good because it was a demo vehicle with 1400 miles on it. I was happy they mentioned that little detail before I drove 8 hours to get it! The one I ended up buying had 8 miles.

To me a "new" car should have less than 10 miles on it. I've seen how people do test drives and how dealerships drive their demo cars. Do you really want a new car with 400 race-driven miles on it? I sure don't. Buyer beware.

I would not have rejected a good deal because of 1400 miles.

Salesmen drive the vehicle (need to learn the car in order to sell it), possibly driven between dealerships (the use retirees to do this, cheaper than putting on a trailer).

Not too much especially if they offering a good deal. (Shrug).

I agree in the grand scheme of things 1400 miles is not a huge deal. That being said, I have been around several dealership owners and employees throughout my life and I have seen how a lot of people drive the demo cars. If it's babied around town that's one thing but in my experience that isn't what happens. I still ended up with a good deal, paying only about $800 more for one with 10 miles compared to one with 1400.

I would imagine they aren't the easiest miles but certainly you can see the difference between 10 of those and 1400. To each their own I suppose. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with someone willing to buy a "new" car with that many miles it's just not something I would do personally unless the price was way too good to pass up.