Push Button Start Issues

luvford

The last two days when I get in my car to start it, I push the button and nothing happens. I have to push it a few times to get it to start. Sometimes I get the no key detected message even though I have the key in my purse. Other times I get nothing.

Has anyone had this issue? Is it the keyfob that needs a new battery or the push botton itself?

I have had this issue a few times over the years. This prompted me to put a new battery into my fob at least once.

Other times I have found that I would have to get out of car, close door then re-enter to get the car to see my fob.

Are you aware that you can place the key fob in an area of the center console when the fob stops being recognized by the car? It will allow you to start the car. It's a back up for when the battery dies in your fob.

Basically you are suffering from the Windows problem that seems to come out every now and then. I have had that happen, but many other things as well. Like the other day I got out of the car and the tailgate opened. No reason just something in the computer system said open tailgate so it did. My tailgate makes up its mind when it wants to open sometimes it will open at the first push other times it takes 6 times to open, 6 inches at a time. Its not the battery, been replaced, I have also had it rebooted a number of times at $125.00 a kick still does it. Oh yea it only does it when I am not at a dealership. It will not work properly for days on end, but take it to dealership it works perfect. Also sometimes you start the car and the radio does not work, turn it off start it again and away you go. One time the GPS tried to send me in the complete opposite direction to where i was going. I use GPS only to look for shorter drives, but when it tells you to go East when you are going West and wants you to drive through a forest where there is no roads then you kind of want to not rely on it.

I just live with it, it has had all the updates everything, it is just cursed. Other than that little problem I love the car.

Wilson,

I always use the same IK fob the other one sits at home so I was thinking it was probably the battery in the fob... it is 5 years old!

Crazy story...One day I was parking my car at work (when my camera wasn't working) and backed into a space. I turned the car off locked the door but didn't close it, then realize I still could back up about 4 more feet. I got back in the car and closed the door. Nothing happened. The car wouldn't start, the slot didn't work in the console didn't work. I was freaking out. I finally decided to get out and figured I come back later to see if I could get it to start. Once I opened the door a count down appeared on the screen with 5 seconds counting down and a beep. After 5 seconds the horn started honking. In my embarrassment I finally figured out if I pushed the unlock button on the fob the horn stopped honking. I got back in and was able to start the car on the first try. I guess it's a anti-theft feature...

I've had the no key detected warning come up randomly when I've been in the drivers seat and the smart key is in my pocket. It's happened to me 2 times in the 4 months since I've owned my '13. I just kept pushing the start button both times and eventually it worked. I was thinking it was blip in the software and/or some type of radio frequency interference. I work with someone who has a Dodge with a smart key and if she has her smart key in her purse with her smartphone at the same time most times her smart key doesn't work. RF inteference - could it be a factor in your situation?

Wilson,

I always use the same IK fob the other one sits at home so I was thinking it was probably the battery in the fob... it is 5 years old!

Crazy story...One day I was parking my car at work (when my camera wasn't working) and backed into a space. I turned the car off locked the door but didn't close it, then realize I still could back up about 4 more feet. I got back in the car and closed the door. Nothing happened. The car wouldn't start, the slot didn't work in the console didn't work. I was freaking out. I finally decided to get out and figured I come back later to see if I could get it to start. Once I opened the door a count down appeared on the screen with 5 seconds counting down and a beep. After 5 seconds the horn started honking. In my embarrassment I finally figured out if I pushed the unlock button on the fob the horn stopped honking. I got back in and was able to start the car on the first try. I guess it's a anti-theft feature...

That's the anti-theft feature. It thinks somebody tried or did disconnect the battery to disable the alarm. You might have an intermittent battery connection.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I now have to lock and unlock the car with the fob in my hand and push the start button at least 5 times to start the car. My love of this car is quickly turning to hate! All the things about it that made it fun to drive are now making it aggrivating!

Rear view camera doesn't work

Can't leave the IK in my purse, doors won't unlock, tailgate won't unlock

Push button start takes 5 tries

Cross Traffic sensor not available warnings

When I turn the car off I get the key not detected warning

Car not in park warning.

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a simple fix? Do I need a new battery in the Intelligent Key? A new battery for the car (has original battery)?

The last two days when I get in my car to start it, I push the button and nothing happens. I have to push it a few times to get it to start. Sometimes I get the no key detected message even though I have the key in my purse. Other times I get nothing.

Has anyone had this issue? Is it the keyfob that needs a new battery or the push botton itself?

This just happened to me this morning. It started by my car saying there was no key..which was in car...so my daughter took the key and walked away,walked back and it started. A few hours later I go to leave,it started fine went into store came out and hour later and dead ,nothing.Then finally it said shutting down to save the battery...My husband unplugged the battery ,then after a few times it started.I took it straight to dealer it started fine,they check battery fine...I talked to service manager he said it was the key fob,use the other .Starts perfect ,go home use other key a little later takes 3 times to start.Once started it runs perfect.We updated the sync...still doing it...Any ideas? I really love this car it only has 39,000 miles on it. UGH*

This just happened to me this morning. It started by my car saying there was no key..which was in car...so my daughter took the key and walked away,walked back and it started. A few hours later I go to leave,it started fine went into store came out and hour later and dead ,nothing.Then finally it said shutting down to save the battery...My husband unplugged the battery ,then after a few times it started.I took it straight to dealer it started fine,they check battery fine...I talked to service manager he said it was the key fob,use the other .Starts perfect ,go home use other key a little later takes 3 times to start.Once started it runs perfect.We updated the sync...still doing it...Any ideas? I really love this car it only has 39,000 miles on it. UGH*

Since it is a 2011, maybe the batteries in both fobs need replacements? If it does this again, try to put the fob in the slot inside the center console compartment, this slot is meant to allow the vehicle to detect the fob even if its battery is dead.

Also, that message "Shutting down to save battery...etc", if your sure you did not leave the accessory mode on when you left your car, would probably mean the needs a new battery. If it has never been replaced before, it might also be near the end of its life.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2011 Edge which has been a great car until about a month ago it started throwing the no key detected warning at me, them sometimes it wouldn't up lock/unlock the doors. So I took it to Ford & it was working ok then, it has been in 4 times & is currently in the shop because after they "fixed it" it no longer works at all, no unlocking the door or anything, in order to start my car I have to insert the key into the emergency start slot. Very frustrating to say the least. They have a part on order so hopefully this works, I really have given up hope of my car getting back to where it was when I took it in. And yes the first question did you replace the batteries....yes I'm not that stupid, but I guess some people don't think of that.

Edited by Kodi