Tail light Condensation

If your concerned about having open holes (abet 1/16" dia), consider drilling larger holes, 1/4" for example,  in the back where they don't show, and covering with Gor Tex. The material prevents liquid water entry while allowing water vapor to pass. This could be accomplished with self-adhesive patches that are easy to apply. (The fix is to vent the interior water vapor to the atmosphere. It appears the existing vents are not functioning).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WTRDKMP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_88PT3ZZ5MJRFTQVYQXZ7

Thank you 1004 and enigma,

I removed the part and found a gap in the seal immediately. Right in the area of the most condensation. Whatever adhesive they use to seal the clear lens to the black plastic back has an inconsistent bead. The bead gets real thin in a section and the 2 halves have separated. I’m thinking about resealing the entire joint all the way around with good RTV silicone. I’m sure this will help but I’m not 100% confident this will solve all condensation issues. We’ll see I guess. If not, I like the idea of a couple added goretex covered vents in the back. There is 2 back there already...why not 4 right? I’ll seal it first and reinstall. Maybe it will vent correctly.

I would send it back were I bought it, but it’s not new and I bought it a month ago. I saved $600 over buying a new part. It looks perfect but its not. My advice: BUY NEW PARTS 

I screwed myself but maybe I can fix this thing.

see pic of the gap

E6104A64-653E-432E-A7DF-0EEFFDD7C250.jpeg

• Like 5

You may have found the real problem that has plagued dozens of complaints with the Edge. Moisture has to be getting in through a small crack somwhere (if it were larger, the moisture could also escape easily). Lights on raise the temps inside, when shut off, unit cools and creates a small partial vacuum drawing in the cool, moist evening air. I'd clear silicone the hell out of the entire joint.

Good find!!!

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

Update:

I dried out the condensation with a vacuum and space heater through the access plug in the back.

I then ran a thick bead of high quality rtv silicone all the way around where the two halves meet. Let it cure for a couple days. Tested the vent holes in the back with blow drier and they seem to be working. I reseated the access hole plug with some thick silicone grease. This product does not cure and it has a high washout value. The plug is sealed but still able to be removed. The part was reinstalled today and it looks good so far. The part is sealed except for the vent holes. This is the closest I can get to how this part was new. Let’s see if it vents function correctly per Fords design. 

I did notice a large gap on the top of the unit where the rubber gasket does not make contact with the rear gate under the back glass. See pic. I’ve looked at a few other edges and they all had the same gap. This would appear to be normal? Maybe help the venting process? There is the possibility of water getting behind the light bar through this gap. If the unit still has condensation issues I’m going to fill that gap with silicone to prevent water from running down behind the light bar and making contact with those vents.

We’ll see what happens in the rain and car wash.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

D2AC1545-A968-459D-B801-178CEA2775C4.jpeg

65DF23F4-EE02-4B1A-97C9-9D7511F23BD5.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1004ron changed the title to Tail light Condensation

I have a 2022 model and I recently noticed that my taillights have holes drilled right in the middle of each unit on the outside.  The holes are about the size in enigma-2's video but they aren't hidden away like he did.  You don't notice them unless you look and they don't let water in (that I can tell).  I've never had condensation in my lights.