Tail light Condensation

23 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

Sure it would.  If a product is still covered by warranty whether it's a tail light or a toaster it'd be foolish for an owner to do their own modification.  Once outside the factory 3/36 warranty though it's time for some very careful reading of an extended policy (if purchased) or a little bit of do-it-yourself handiwork.  Isn't this one of those 'needless to say' items?

There are a couple of scenarios where it wouldn't hurt to do it even under warranty - if the mfr refuses to consider it a defect and refuses to replace it or the replacement parts have exactly the same issue.  In that case I would just do the modification and not worry about it.

1 hour ago, Edgesport18 said:

I have the same problem since new with all three , both tail lights and light bar on the tail gate ! Does anyone have a ruby red edge with pictures of condensation on the passenger side!

They will not replace my passenger tail light without a picture of it with condensation! The pictures they had were lost in the system and I now have to wait for a rainy day to get a

new picture ! Thank u in advance !

Are you kidding me.... wow thats awfully convenient of them....

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 5:55 PM, Edgesport18 said:

Ya well of course that’s not working now but it will eventually happen again I just didn’t want to wait forever to send the pictures to get my part ‘

Actually it sounds like the right side light is working as designed.  As your manual tells you some condensation is normal and will eventually clear itself.   What 'isn't normal are heavy droplets of water or a sloshing puddle in the bottom of the assembly.  Perhaps only your left and center housings need replacement.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got severe tail light and trunk light bar condensation with water collecting on the bottom, and have had it since a bought my 2015 Edge Titanium used at the Ford dealer with 32,000 miles. Of course I bought the extended Ford bumper to bumper warranty taking it to 100,000 miles.. ..AND THE PROBLEM IS NOT COVERED!!! My son-in-law who is a Ford mechanic and was a service advisor when that year Edge came out in 2014 said that it's a big issue and Ford HQ said to put folks off saying it is not a safety issue. Once past 32,00 miles they tell you politely to go blow smoke. My guy said to take off the light bar (youtube has several videos on it) and try blowing air thru it with a shop vac until it clears. Then put clear silicone on the defective thin rubber gasket which is causing all the problems. Other than that, I may disconnect the electricity to the light bar to see if that helps. It drives me nuts to think that Ford won't deal with the defect. I plan to get something other that a ford next time because of it. I hope everyone else will do the same. I've written to my Congressman to see if he would take it to the NTSB. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm-lTpmqCkY

Well we've had this 2016 Edge for 10 days now.  Getting tired of looking at the condensation in the tailgate light bar, like everyone else.  And actually water puddles at each lower corner of the light bar.

So today I used a 1/8 inch drill bit to put a hole at the left and right lower corners of the light bar.  The water puddle came running out.

Now I'll wait and see if the condensation dries up before it freezes in there next week as the cold weather hits us.

G.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 16silversport said:

Bumping this to the top to see if anyone has figured out a solution.

Yes.  It's the same solution posted in this thread.  A member of the MacT Edge group posted pictures and (in another message) declared success.  Here's a link (you might have to join the group if you haven't already): https://www.facebook.com/groups/MACTFORDEDGE/permalink/884667688596254/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

Yes.  It's the same solution posted in this thread.  A member of the MacT Edge group posted pictures and (in another message) declared success.  Here's a link (you might have to join the group if you haven't already): https://www.facebook.com/groups/MACTFORDEDGE/permalink/884667688596254/

Yup need to join.  Sent a request. Short and sweet details of the fix?  Drill holes?  I was thinking about a few holes on the side, letting it dry out and covering the holes until next time. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’m willing to try it before I replace it.  The taillight portion is now dead. The Ford deAler and their online parts want about 800.00 to replace it.  I’m searching online for right one OEM used for my 2016  Titanium , which are still pricey used., and you have to be careful to get the correct led one. This happened after warranty of course, but it’s a certified 100k car. Only real trouble actually , compared my old vw it’s been great,.

Edited by MikeOly

• 3 weeks later...

Ford will say some nonsense that a lil condensation is to be expected due to the nature of lights etc.  It should be covered if you have the full ESP that covers lights etc.  That happened to my brother last year with his 2015 Sport.  He brought his warranty post sale because he had additional coverage because it was a CPO. The dealer told him that his ESP did not cover lights and some other bits. The good thing is that the dealer said if you call up Budco (SP) they will upgrade it and he just had to pay the difference. He did it in the parking lot and the very next day the dealer processed the claim for him. Took about 3 weeks or so because the tail lights were on back order. He's been condensation free ever since.

1 hour ago, onyxbfly said:

Ford will say some nonsense that a lil condensation is to be expected due to the nature of lights etc.  It should be covered if you have the full ESP that covers lights etc.  That happened to my brother last year with his 2015 Sport.  He brought his warranty post sale because he had additional coverage because it was a CPO. The dealer told him that his ESP did not cover lights and some other bits. The good thing is that the dealer said if you call up Budco (SP) they will upgrade it and he just had to pay the difference. He did it in the parking lot and the very next day the dealer processed the claim for him. Took about 3 weeks or so because the tail lights were on back order. He's been condensation free ever since.

Thanks,

Just got a response from the service manager - I'll need to take care of it myself.

I took it through the car wash on Saturday, and it remained in my garage until today (Monday) when I drove it to work - its cold today but no rain, just bright sunshine. 

The car wash uses a high pressure washer as a pre-wash, which they've done for all the years I taken it there - this came to mind and I'm now concerned about that, but don't understand why it hasn't been an issue until now.

I ran the part number and Oasis it is only covered under base warranty which is 3/36 you also did not have the lighting option on you ESP sometimes they cover under that.

2 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

Thanks,

Just got a response from the service manager - I'll need to take care of it myself.

I took it through the car wash on Saturday, and it remained in my garage until today (Monday) when I drove it to work - its cold today but no rain, just bright sunshine. 

The car wash uses a high pressure washer as a pre-wash, which they've done for all the years I taken it there - this came to mind and I'm now concerned about that, but don't understand why it hasn't been an issue until now.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it will clear up within the next few days. I don't think being parked indoors or not has anything to do with it. Perhaps park her outside overnight and see if that will help.  There is no definitive rhyme or reason why it happens. It happened at my car wash once. As soon as I noticed it, I felt like I tasted throw up in my mouth. By time I got home it had cleared  up.

• Like 1

I have a 2016 Edge Titanium.  One tail light was replaced by the dealer before I took delivery of the vehicle for condesation.  The other one was replaced about a year ago under the 3 year 36000 mile warranty.  Even with the replacements I still get occasion moisture but nothing like the originals.

Just to add mine to the list - 2017 Sport just short of three years old and 51K miles on the clock and all sections of the tail lights have condensation build-up and its confirmed that my extended warranty does not cover replacement.

Will have to wait and see if it clears and if not find out how to cure it.

15 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it will clear up within the next few days. I don't think being parked indoors or not has anything to do with it. Perhaps park her outside overnight and see if that will help.  There is no definitive rhyme or reason why it happens. It happened at my car wash once. As soon as I noticed it, I felt like I tasted throw up in my mouth. By time I got home it had cleared  up.

I parked it in the garage and before I left for work it was all clear and on arrival at work 50 minutes later, with the temperature change, its still clear - will see what it looks like at lunch time after being in the sun.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

I parked it in the garage and before I left for work it was all clear and on arrival at work 50 minutes later, with the temperature change, its still clear - will see what it looks like at lunch time after being in the sun.

Awesome!! Glad to hear that it cleared up!