Tail light Condensation

Just an update for those that may stumble on this some time in the future.

It took three days to clear - leaving home in the morning it was clear, then at lunch time the condensation showed up standing in the warm sunshine - the amount decreased daily until it was gone on the fourth day.

I've also gone through the car wash since and no issues.

When this happened we had record high temps for winter , 60 ~ 70 degF, freezing temps at night,  with higher than normal humidity.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 2

I have been going around with Ford now for over 6 months. I have over an inch of water in the back light bar on both sides. 2017 Edge Titanium. First the BS that it would clear up on it’s own. That was 6 months ago when I had just under 36000 miles. On the next oil change I showed them again. Now we have 40000 miles on the car, and the crooks now say it is Not under warranty. So I called Ford corp. that was 4 weeks ago and they still are giving me the run around. The piece of junk light cost almost $2000. I have seen this on this site and others going back to early 2015. The photo shows the water line. Has their been any legal action taken against Ford. A class action suit? Time to call the lawyers and take action. 

55C4E6FC-3E20-4BBA-AE60-7533E4C6F644.jpeg

Edited by RJHENDERSON

20 hours ago, RJHENDERSON said:

I have been going around with Ford now for over 6 months. I have over an inch of water in the back light bar on both sides. 2017 Edge Titanium. First the BS that it would clear up on it’s own. That was 6 months ago when I had just under 36000 miles. On the next oil change I showed them again. Now we have 40000 miles on the car, and the crooks now say it is Not under warranty. So I called Ford corp. that was 4 weeks ago and they still are giving me the run around. The piece of junk light cost almost $2000. I have seen this on this site and others going back to early 2015. The photo shows the water line. Has their been any legal action taken against Ford. A class action suit? Time to call the lawyers and take action.

I'd say its fair for them to ask that you allow some time for it to clear on its own, ....mine did.

I've read elsewhere that if it establishes a level like yours, its a candidate for change, and if its only one section of the three then it would suggest a leak (not the breather).

One thing I've learnt is to ensure that warranty related queries between you and the dealership are in some written form - for that I email the service manager, who has worked well with me.

If you have some form of proof that this issue was flagged up prior to the 36K mile, use that and stay on Kia Corp. if the Dealership is still playing hard ball.

Just an update for those that may stumble on this some time in the future.

It took three days to clear - leaving home in the morning it was clear, then at lunch time the condensation showed up standing in the warm sunshine - the amount decreased daily until it was gone on the fourth day.

I've also gone through the car wash since and no issues.

When this happened we had record high temps for winter , 60 ~ 70 degF, freezing temps at night,  with higher than normal humidity.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 10:31 AM, RJHENDERSON said:

Were you under the 3 year warranty period yet when you first took it in?  

5 minutes ago, RJHENDERSON said:

Yes, 2017 model. First showed the dealership in mid 2019. And was under 36000 miles also

If it was pooling at that point I hope you have a service record with the dealer about it.  The dealer is supposed to send pictures to Ford for approval or denial for water issues like that.

On 1/18/2020 at 8:44 PM, Maxzar said:

The exact thing happened to me. You can contact me if you like.

11 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Why cant you post it here, or in the other thread on the same topic?

17 minutes ago, Maxzar said:

Yes, I was under warranty when I first went to the dealer. 

What's the secrecy about?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, BHurlbert said:

I’ve had condensation in mine for 3 months now and it’s not clearing up.   Doesn’t really bother like it did at first but it’s annoying. 

What M/Y ? - is yours still under warranty?

Good idea to add that to your account profile.

Mine came and went for about 10 days, and haven't seen it again since.

You need to contact ford customer service. NOT the Dealer. I went around with Ford Corp. for six months and finally got them to pay for all but $100. I had almost and inch over six months from when it started. Water was getting into the backup lights. I’m in Virginia. Just got it done about a month ago. You need to stay on them.

Edited by RJHENDERSON

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2020 at 7:14 PM, BHurlbert said:

So I’ve started the A/C in AUTO mode.  Not sure if that helped in combination of the weather warming up a little but it has cleared up.   I’m thinking they are vented behind the hatch rear molding into the cabin maybe???

I've always had my A/C in Auto mode and close to three years old I got it for the first time - it came and went for about ten days and haven't seen it since.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just bought my 2018 Edge with 30,000 miles on it. I noticed there was some condensation in the tail light bar and asked the dealer to fix it. They said it was cosmetic and wasn't something they would fix. After a lot of research I have found it is very common. I attempted to remove the moisture over the weekend using the advice I had found online. The moisture came right back! I've been told it isn't covered under warranty and the Ford dealer told me they are aware of the problem and they can evaluate and document the issue for $200 and if a recall is every issued then I would be notified. My light bar is also not lighting up now. I assume it is supposed to? Any advice on getting the moisture issue resolved and why my light bar isn't lighting up? 

IMG_6164.jpg

IMG_6163.jpg

IMG_6162.jpg

unnamed (4).png

unnamed (3).png

35 minutes ago, sme819 said:

I just bought my 2018 Edge with 30,000 miles on it. I noticed there was some condensation in the tail light bar and asked the dealer to fix it. They said it was cosmetic and wasn't something they would fix. After a lot of research I have found it is very common. I attempted to remove the moisture over the weekend using the advice I had found online. The moisture came right back! I've been told it isn't covered under warranty and the Ford dealer told me they are aware of the problem and they can evaluate and document the issue for $200 and if a recall is every issued then I would be notified. My light bar is also not lighting up now. I assume it is supposed to? Any advice on getting the moisture issue resolved and why my light bar isn't lighting up? 

Who did you buy it from?

You say that at the time of purchase you noticed the condensation and the seller said that they would not fix it - that was the time to stand your ground and insist it be fixed, or walk away.

You say you did some research - did that research include this forum? 

What method did you attempt to remove the moisture?

It's still under warranty so call Ford Corp. and open a warranty claim with them, or try another dealership.

The light bar not lighting up - not all the models do, what model do you have?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sme819 said:

unnamed (3).png

You have a SEL. Your light bar will not light up because its not designed too. The only edge with the light bar is the Titanium and the Sport model.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 8:45 PM, RJHENDERSON said:

You need to contact ford customer service. NOT the Dealer. I went around with Ford Corp. for six months and finally got them to pay for all but $100. I had almost and inch over six months from when it started. Water was getting into the backup lights. I’m in Virginia. Just got it done about a month ago. You need to stay on them.

Do you have any recommendation or insight on who to talk with at Ford Customer Service? I've asked them to escalate my complaint but haven't heard back from anyone.