Tail light Condensation

Hi all - just purchased a new to me 2015 SEL AWD. Noticed that from the start - dealer said the same thing right out of the box once he saw I noticed it - totally normal, blah, blah, blah. However, mine is in the same boat - much more than a fine mist - definitely droplets, and it did not go away after the 40 min drive home. Guess I'll be making a visit in the next bit. Glad to see some validation of the issue here, and that (at least) there is "some" recognition of the issue by Ford. 

Anyways - thanks!

(and the convo btwn wiz and wildbill was/is hilarious - at no ones expenses of course, but wiz is spot on with his technical explanation) 

IMG_20190216_104246 (x800).jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

BTW - does anyone know a model year for the gen2 Edge where the lights were "fixed" i.e. didn't have the chance of this heavy kind of condensation? Or, did the Titanium lights (the full LED ones with the LED marker bars) not have this issue? Replacement parts for the bar housing are ranging from $750-980 (standard vs full LED) and $550-750 for the brake light housings. However if the full LED ones didn't have this issue, I'd be sorely tempted to buy those to eliminate this issue in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought an 08 MKX in January and it has this problem. I hand washed it a week ago and it still has condensation in, It didn't seem as bad when I first got it but the temps have been wacky for a few weeks now. We had a day last week that reached a high of 65 and down to 27 at night. most days have been cloudy and temps below normal which isn't any help. I'm glad I found this post.

I am now having the same problem affecting my 2015 Edge Sport. I went to the dealer before the winter of 2018 and was given the condensation explanation for why there was mist/condensation in the taillights.  Now I'm 3 months out of the original 36 month manufactures warranty and of course, Ford does not want to recognize or admit to poor design which causes this problem.   I'm trying to enlist some help from my local news station to get Ford's attention.  If all else fails I will look into what it takes to file a class action suit.1587277060_FordEdge20190326_142353.thumb.jpg.4780308f084b371c5197fc468b008df2.jpg

• Sad 2

I am now having the same problem affecting my 2015 Edge Sport. I went to the dealer before the winter of 2018 and was given the condensation explanation for why there was mist/condensation in the taillights.  Now I'm 3 months out of the original 36 month manufactures warranty and of course, Ford does not want to recognize or admit to poor design which causes this problem.   I'm trying to enlist some help from my local news station to get Ford's attention.  If all else fails I will look into what it takes to file a class action suit.  IMO this problem is caused by bad design and Ford is attempting to discourage people from complaining by adding that bulls### condensation statement to the manual.  This is totally unacceptable. 

Ford Edge 20190326_142353.jpg

I wish you lots of luck and hope someone will help you out.

I know the feeling all too well. You buy a new car and you want it to look nice.

Mine was a New 2016 Edge SEL, here is the light history.

Each time I had to fight tooth and nail and each time took around 2 months to complete.

In the course of 2 years, I had the signal lights changed under warranty (each side 3 times)! The light bar on the back of hatch which has the backup lights was replaced twice, once under warranty and the second time they said I would have to pay! When the job was done they waved the charges! I also had the headlights replace under warranty, they were not very bright and the lens looked dirty, they told it was spider cracks? Anyway, they were replaced when the car was about a year old. I'm done with Fords, the Edge will get traded off!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2015 Edge.  I started noticing water condensation building in the tail light in the winter of 2016-2017.  I was told by the dealership that Ford considers condensation normal.  During the times I brought my vehicle in for regular maintenance, I would mention the condensation.  Nothing was ever written down on their forms and was told over and over that it was normal.  My driver side door carried water in it and it would slosh back and forth, apparently Ford found this normal until I showed up with a butter knife and separated the inside of the door from the metal and water POURED out, then it was finally fixed.  So apparently this SUV has an issue with water leaking into places it shouldn't.  Now I have insisted that this gets fixed and I was told of an estimate of $4300 for me to get it fixed.  The Edge is 3 year and 7 months.  It's funny that when it was under warranty, Ford considered it normal to have condensation, but now that it is past warranty, I have to pay!

Meeting tomorrow with the Sales Manager, General Manager and the Salesman that sold me the vehicle.  

redford.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a 2016 Ford Edge a couple of weeks ago, the condensation was there when I picked up the vehicle, I thought it would go away...2 weeks later the condensation is still there (see pics). When I contacted the dealership the manager said it wasn’t a ‘safety issue’ so they refuse to do anything about it. Do I have any recourse?

The owner's manual states what is acceptable. Drips of water are not acceptable if the vehicle is still under warranty it should be covered if, it is not it won't be. If the vehicle is still under manufacturers warranty the dealer should cover it if not call Ford. I was 3 months out of the manufactures warranty and had an extended warranty and it was still not covered.  Fortunately for me, the dealer recognizes that this is a problem and decided to cover half the replacement cost of the light and will install the replacement free of cost whenever I'm ready to deal with it.  I wouldn't be surprised if this problem results in a class action lawsuit because, in my opinion, this is a design problem that will eventually affect a lot of the Edges over time. Only time will tell.

9 hours ago, BJP said:

I bought a 2016 Ford Edge a couple of weeks ago, the condensation was there when I picked up the vehicle, I thought it would go away...2 weeks later the condensation is still there (see pics). When I contacted the dealership the manager said it wasn’t a ‘safety issue’ so they refuse to do anything about it. Do I have any recourse?

Go to another dealership!

Keep on them. Talk to the CEO of the dealership.

I wish you all the luck.

Here is a story for you,....I use to see a lot of Ford Edges on the road before I bought mine.

I have had the tail lights replaced 4 times in total now!

So I decided that each time I went into the city I would walk around and look at every Edge I see.

I have to tell you straight out, I haven't seen the Titanium model or the Sport Model with water in the lights only the SEL?

So I've looked at over 30 Edges and so far it's the SEL model, maybe just a coincidence?   

7 hours ago, Maxzar said:

The owner's manual states what is acceptable. Drips of water are not acceptable if the vehicle is still under warranty it should be covered if, it is not it won't be. If the vehicle is still under manufacturers warranty the dealer should cover it if not call Ford. I was 3 months out of the manufactures warranty and had an extended warranty and it was still not covered.  Fortunately for me, the dealer recognizes that this is a problem and decided to cover half the replacement cost of the light and will install the replacement free of cost whenever I'm ready to deal with it.  I wouldn't be surprised if this problem results in a class action lawsuit because, in my opinion, this is a design problem that will eventually affect a lot of the Edges over time. Only time will tell.

Stay on them. 

The last time I had mine replaced they told me they would only cover 50% and that I would need to pay the balance.

I refused and went to the CEO of the dealership. Told him the full story with photos. 

Long story short, they replaced them at no charge.

I hope it never happens again!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from the dealer. The service guys always treat me well and they think this is a crock. I am past my 3 yr, 36K warranty but am under ESP Premium Care and when the service rep checked the system this part number is not covered under ESP for ANY reason. What a bunch of bull. I guess I should have read the "whats not covered list" which according to Ford is much shorter than the "what is covered list" I have water pooling in the corners of the assembly and they don't think it will ever dry out. The dealer is making a special case for me with Ford but does not have much hope. This is a $1300.00 part. If Ford wont help the rep and I think the best course of action is to drill two small holes on the very edge where the water is puddling. This will help the water drain and maybe help the moister to evaporate. I can caulk the holes with silicon caulk and if it happens again just pop out the caulking. What do you guys think? Even if I spent the $1300.00 it would just happen again. 

• 2 months later...

I own a 2015 Edge Titanium, the condensation is in my middle light bar. I am out of my the factory bumper to bumper warranty so I doubt they will replace this for me. Has anyone thought of taking a small drill and drilling a small hole on the bottom for the water to drain/vent out of? 

41F2F60E-2885-4D45-9BF5-E3FA494E63C9.jpeg

Edited by Gunnar82495

3 hours ago, Gunnar82495 said:

I own a 2915 Edge Titanium, Has anyone thought of taking a small drill and drilling a small hole on the bottom for the water to drain / vent out of? 

Based on comments in this and other forums/groups that's a fairly common fix.  Our owner's manual mentions that the light housings are vented but someone in engineering didn't get this one quite right for very humid places and areas with rapid temperature changes.  It's my understanding that drilling several small holes in the bottom of the housing helps.

• Like 3

I mean it makes sense to me. Growing up my old sister had a cheap Pontiac as her first car (was my grandmothers, then grandfathers, then her car) and her passenger side rear tail light always had water and condensation in it. I would love watching her park the car to see how much water would swish around on the inside of the taillight housing. I remember my dad taking his power drill and drilling 2 pr 3 small little holes and the water came out and she never had the condensation or water pooling. I am just afraid that if I open up a whole that can also allow water to get directly in would this be causing more potential damage to the LED's? I have a light-up ring for my taillights since its the Titanium trim. Or would the water that keeps getting trapped in there and pooling going to cause just as much harm? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gunnar82495 said:

Or would the water that keeps getting trapped in there and pooling going to cause just as much harm?

Drilling holes will help get the water out, but not fix the source. In my opinion, if you are trying to find a solution, try to find where the water is coming inside. Maybe it is the seal around the housing where the front and back parts meat. I also remember that in the procedure for installing the light bar, there was a note on the sequence for torquing the bolts to avoid damage, might also be worth looking into if they were not tightened correctly and caused a crack somewhere.

Edit: Attached the procedure.

Reversing Lamp RI.pdf

Edited by omar302
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem since new with all three , both tail lights and light bar on the tail gate ! Does anyone have a ruby red edge with pictures of condensation on the passenger side!

They will not replace my passenger tail light without a picture of it with condensation! The pictures they had were lost in the system and I now have to wait for a rainy day to get a

new picture ! Thank u in advance !

On 8/28/2019 at 4:06 PM, Gadgetjq said:

Based on comments in this and other forums/groups that's a fairly common fix.  Our owner's manual mentions that the light housings are vented but someone in engineering didn't get this one quite right for very humid places and areas with rapid temperature changes.  It's my understanding that drilling several small holes in the bottom of the housing helps.

Would this not void the warranty because it is covered under warranty don’t them fool u into thinking it’s not! Ford Canada has already approved mine under warranty 

1 minute ago, Edgesport18 said:

Would this not void the warranty because it is covered under warranty don’t them fool u into thinking it’s not! Ford Canada has already approved mine under warranty 

Sure it would.  If a product is still covered by warranty whether it's a tail light or a toaster it'd be foolish for an owner to do their own modification.  Once outside the factory 3/36 warranty though it's time for some very careful reading of an extended policy (if purchased) or a little bit of do-it-yourself handiwork.  Isn't this one of those 'needless to say' items?

• Like 2