Transmission Fluid Replace?

solas989

Severe duty suggests transmission fluid change at 30,000 miles. Since there is no prescribed interval for normal duty, I would suggest 60,000 mile service. Most dealerships do the flush type change now.

If I were planning to keep the vehicles for 100,000 miles or more, I would do the 60k trans service. Might not need it, but it can't hurt. Look at what happened to the old Taurus owners when they decided the trans didn't need service at 60k - trans replace at 90k.

Won't affect me, as I never get one out of warranty, in fact the two year lease on the MKX will be longer than we've had most new cars. :reading:

I was looking at the maintenance schedule and noticed there is no schedule to replace the transmission fluid (ATF).

I have to think why Ford does not suggest to replace it - at all?

Solas

Hi solas090. :D The online Maintenance Schedule (Normal Service) for the 2008 Edge (FWD and AWD) recommends changing the Trans Fluid at 150,000 miles.

As Grey stated, for Severe Duty and vehicles used for Towing, the recommendations are 30,000 miles (notice you have the Tow Package).

Good luck! :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks!!!

I didnt see it at 150K for normal schedule - but yes I am using the tow - so it looks like 30K for me. I had too look up the fleet schedule because for some reason MyFord wants me to choose a FUEL type - but there is no options to select it.

That is when I planned anyways - that is what I do for my Mazda3 (which is driven really hard when driven).

Thanks!!

Solas

• 3 months later...

Please note there is no pan or regular drain plug on these transmissions like your typical unit. GM/Ford designed them to be sealed units. In order to change the filter you have to split the box and remove the front support and oil pump then reapply RTV and reassemble. Quite a mess to service it.

Very good quality though coming out of the Ford plant. We are having a lot less issues than the GM manufactured version.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

When we picked up our '07 MKX a few months back it had just under 30K on it. I requested that the dealer (Ford) throw in a trans fluid flush along with an oil/filter change for free and they did. It definately won't hurt to do it early and I plan to do it at around 60K also. The small cost involved is just extra insurance in my opinion. I'm not sure what it costs to have it done now but when I had it done on my '03 Ranger a few years back it was around $100. Just like any other fluid in a car it does break down and get filthy over time. I even use a suction pump to siphon out the power steering fluid resivoir in our vehicles about one a year and replace at least that much with fresh fluid. Amazing how burnt smelling and dirty that gets in every car.

Edited by klc317

• 2 months later...

I just thought I'd share my recent experience. I'm very illiterate when it comes to cars and have only recently taken an interest in my own maintenance. My 2008 Edge was driven across the country with a tow package (so about 3000 miles). I originally figured that that wouldn't be such a big deal. With the suggested 150k change in the manual I figured I'd easily be good till 60k since my towing was limited to my move. So when getting the oil changed my friend who was showing me how to do it (aforementioned nub status) he accidentally started pouring stabilizer in the transmission oil. It wasn't much but I had transmission problems with my old car so I wasn't taking any chances. We ended up flushing the transmission and just for being a bit over 30k it was black beyond belief.

After that experience I'll probably just flush it every 30k miles regardless.

I just thought I'd share my recent experience. I'm very illiterate when it comes to cars and have only recently taken an interest in my own maintenance. My 2008 Edge was driven across the country with a tow package (so about 3000 miles). I originally figured that that wouldn't be such a big deal. With the suggested 150k change in the manual I figured I'd easily be good till 60k since my towing was limited to my move. So when getting the oil changed my friend who was showing me how to do it (aforementioned nub status) he accidentally started pouring stabilizer in the transmission oil. It wasn't much but I had transmission problems with my old car so I wasn't taking any chances. We ended up flushing the transmission and just for being a bit over 30k it was black beyond belief.

After that experience I'll probably just flush it every 30k miles regardless.

Hi Nogs. :D Just as an FYI: If I am reading your post correctly, I am assuming you mean you were using your Edge to tow a trailer, as opposed to towing your Edge behind another vehicle? If that is the case, the recommended transmission flush and refill interval for Edge's used for towing is 30,000 miles. It qualifies as Severe Duty Service. So if you used your Edge to tow a trailer 3,000 miles, the trans fluid should have been changed at 30,000 miles anyway.

You can find this information in your Maintenance Schedule Guide that you were given when you purchased your Edge (if you purchased new).

In addition, not sure what type of "stabilizer" your friend was putting in your Edge (i.e. oil, fuel etc..) but Ford specifically tells owners not to use any type of engine, oil. fuel or other additives. This information is in the Owners Manual.

If you can not find the Maintenance Schedule Guide, you can download a PDF version here: LINK - Owner Guides

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
I changed mine at 45k.

Prinz, did you change the fluid and filter yourself? I have not done mine yet but I'm hoping it's the same as most I have done over the years. Drop and clean pan, install new filter, reinstall pan and add proper amount of fresh T-fluid. Is the T-pan gasket reusable?

Prinz, did you change the fluid and filter yourself? I have not done mine yet but I'm hoping it's the same as most I have done over the years. Drop and clean pan, install new filter, reinstall pan and add proper amount of fresh T-fluid. Is the T-pan gasket reusable?

There is no bottom pan, the drain plug is in the bottom of the transmission case itself. Just remove plug, let drain, re-install plug and fill up. The filter is not serviceable unless you drop the trans out and split the cases open.... it doesn't get changed under a normal service. When you drain it it's right at 5 quarts that comes out, refill with 5 quarts and it should be right at the full mark once warmed up. Repeat 2 more times, running for 3 minutes in between to flush all fluid out of the torque converter

Better to let the dealer do it with a machine that sucks out the old fluid and introduces fresh fluid through the cooler lines. This way you change 95% of the old fluid including the torque converter.

There is no need to change the filter. If it's gunked up then the tranny is already toast.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Its the lower of the two you have circled, its a small hole and it takes a some time to drain out.

Recently changed my trans oil for the first time in 92,000 km

I had no issues with the trans but thought it was time but here in Finland the only oil of the correct spec I could get was Mobil 1 ATF fully synthetic at 16€ a litre (about $21) and I changed to the spec of 5 litre out, 5 litre in, run 3 minutes and repeat process 2 more times so it was not cheap for total of 15 litres!

But the result was that right away, trans felt like new and shifting was smoother.

• Like 1

I did it yesterday, fairly easy job to drain the fluid, little bit tricky to fill up ( took more time than to drain)

Don't forget ford edge transmission fluid capacity is 10quarts (9.5 L).

I drained almost 7 liters.

My questions: Is it safe to use transmission fluid that is left to add to poverstearing fluid to fill up?

In the manual shows the same sort of fluid to use.

post-12373-0-72377300-1369587504_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2007Edge

• 2 months later...

Realize that a "drain and fill" on an automatic transmission does NOT change all of the fluid. In fact, the majority of the fluid in an AT is up in the torque converter and other locations that don't drain when you just take out the drain plug.

So, you have to un-do the line going to the transmission cooler (in front of the bottom of the radiator), then little-by-little start the car, drain a little fluid from that line, then stop the car, and put fresh fluid in the filler tube. Keep doing this until the fluid coming out that hose is clean and red. Then reconnect the hoses, start it up and shift through all the gears, then top off the ATF level.

Watch this video -- which is a Honda Accord, but the concept is exactly the same -- and adapt the procedure to the Edge. This has worked for every other Auto Trans vehicle I've owned.

I haven't done it on the Edge, but I'm going to soon. I'll take photos and document the adventure when I can.

Edited by HackerF15E
  • Like 1