Intelligent Keys not working- just programmed 3 weeks ago

Purchased my used 2015 Ford Edge Titanium 3 weeks ago at a non-Ford dealer (big mistake that was). They gave me 2 keys, one of which worked and the other did not. After fighting with them, they paid to have the local dealership program my 2nd key. So since then, I have had two keys that have worked.

I left for work this morning, my key was in my purse. I approached my car, could hear it unlock and I pulled the driver's door handle and got in- as I have done every time prior to today.

4 hours later, I went out to the parking lot for lunch... I approached my car, couldn't hear the unlock, but I pulled the handle anyway and nothing happened. I pulled my key from my purse, hit the "unlock" button on the key and still nothing. I then used my 5 digit code on the door panel and unlocked the car, got inside and started the car. -- so it wouldn't be a battery issue with my key if it still starts, right?

I went home and got my spare key and the same issue occurred. I approached the car, pulled the handle and it would not unlock. I used the keypad and entered my code to get inside. The car started fine. I drove back to my office, parked the car, turned off the ignition and got out (without locking it). Then I used my key and hit the "lock" button as I was walking away- that works fine. Horn beeps and lights flash confirming that I am locking the car.

What's going on??? I just had both keys programmed and working 3 weeks ago at the Ford dealership

in summary- automatic unlock does not work when I approach the door. The UNLOCK button on my actual key also does NOT work, but the LOCK button does work after I exit. I am still able to start the vehicle , but cannot get into the car without having to use my keypad on the driver door.

Edited by LouEdge117

akirby - - - I will have to try the passenger door next.. But No, the rear driver door did not unlock when I tried last. I can always hear it unlock as I am standing right outside it.

A few questions --

1. Can the distance change? When I first bought it, I wanted to test out how far away I could be before the driver door unlocked. I was about 6 feet away ( the salesman was standing there pulling the handle as I was slowly walking toward the car). NOW (when it would work), I have to be almost right on the door for it to unlock- which is fine, but I am just curious whether there is a setting on distance or does it just depend on the signal?

2. Does each door have a sensor that reads my intelligent key? You ask if my passenger door and rear driver door unlocked, so are you saying each door has it's own sensor ?

Edited by LouEdge117

I'm not sure if that's correct. I can stand right outside of my driver door and hear the doors click, then I grab the handle and pull it open.

Anyways, last night everything started working fine again. My car has 22k miles on it, under warranty until 36k miles so I am wondering if I should go to a dealership to have to check the sensors or anything else that could have made my problem occur.

Your Edge should absolutely not unlock unless the handle is actually touched. That makes me think you have a problem with the handle, where somehow it thinks it is being touched all the time. Next time it happens I'd definitely take it to the dealer, you likely need a new driver's door handle. But also a good idea to compare how things work on the passenger side, The driver's door handle and passenger side front handle both have their own antennas to detect the key (as does the rear liftgate).

I would hope they are OEM. I had that conversation with the Ford dealership that synced them to my Edge after I purchased the car from a non-Ford dealership. I had heard how there are fake FOBs out there, but these look real- Ford Logo and everything. They got them synced and working so I would assume they are OEM.

Everything is working fine again- both keys. If it acts up again I will take it to a dealership.

No, I only have my cell phone in my purse. No Credit card protection items.

It was very bizarre how it didn't work for a period of 4-5 hours, then went back to normal and has been working fine every since. Here's the hoping it never happens again. In the meantime, I'm moving on to reading more on my slight vistaroof rattle now, that's my next area of concern unless the key FOB issue returns.

• 4 weeks later...

Update... Batteries were changed on the key fob yesterday at the dealership and problem still happens.

I was at the dealership yesterday for other issues...when they went to get my car to return it to me, they took forever because they had the same issue I've had randomly in the past. the key fob would not open the door. They replaced the battery for me and I was on my way. Hours after the dealership, the same problems happened. I couldn't get into my car.

Same issue occurring today. This has been happening to me randomly ( I cannot figure out a pattern), no door will open when it happens and even when I hit the "unlock" button on the key fob, nothing happens. I have to use my touch pad on the driver door and enter my 5 digit code to gain entry, then it starts up fine.

What's the issue? Since the key fob always allows me to start my car fine, does that mean the doors have a bad sensor??? But that doesn't explain why when I hit the "unlock" button nothing happens.

Hopefully the dealership can figure it out when I take it back in!

You tried it on all 4 doors and none of them worked? There are different sensors for each side of the car and it's doubtful you'd have 2 bad sensors at the same time. And that would not stop the unlock button on the fob from working. Sounds like the module that controls the locks is fubar'd (not sure what it's called - front end module, body control module, etc.) They should have a troubleshooting procedure especially if it can be recreated.

Yes, after I couldn't open the driver door. I tried the back driver side door, then walked around to the passenger side - - none worked. Then I hit the "unlock" button on the key fob, still nothing. So that's when I used my 5 digit passcode to get in.

I'll mention to the dealership to check the module that controls the locks.

This is the most consistent it has been for NOT working! Usually it works, then doesn't work 1x, then works again the next time.

That is a strange set of symptoms. All of the unlock functions are controlled by the BCM (Body Control Module), including the keypad, so it seems unlikely that the BCM is completely messed up.

When the unlock button is not working, have you tried the lock button or even the panic button?

The only thing I can really think of is that maybe one of the sensors is bad and is basically holding down the lock button on the handle. That might block all the other signals (maybe the keypad has the top priority).

I changed the battery in my intelligent fob earlier this year because it wasn't working half the time. The replacement was worse even though it was full voltage.

The replacement was a cheap battery from a 25-pack and was slightly thinner than the original. I changed it for a brand name battery and it has been working perfectly for months now.

I tried to put some thick tape under the cheap battery to raise it up but I only helped a bit for some reason.

Edited by factor99
  • Like 1