Turbos Needed - Gen II 2.7 EcoBoost

snmjim

Xtra, took some time for me to find this post but I just wanted to get on the same page.

I went racing on Friday in 80 degree heat with 2000DA and the LMS v3 93 tune fell straight on its face.

I got 2 runs close to 14 flat at 95mph, car was getting stuck in 4th gear and refused to shift to 5th.

I upped the octane to about 97 and went 13.4 @ 103.

Upped tune to 100 and smaller issue in 4th gear, trapped only 101 even though 1/8 started out 1mph higher than 93 tune.

Went back to 93 tune and back to 103mph trap speed.

Point is, I think I see the source of your low power issue on LMS v3 and I think they over cooked the tune.

I was racing in the 40s and did not have that issue so our view points were different.

Since I'm not on LMS payroll I call them like I see them.

I sent them a message to alert them to the issue.

Hopefully this helps with your build too.

Point is DA will effect power, Friday was +1300 to +1950 DA with a lot of humidity. In the 40’s with little humidity and -1000DA the car will run like a champ.

Slips to back up the above post, ran 10 times on Friday @ Island Dragway with GT500Rs X3 M40i.

STOCK M40i ; )

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Scheduled dyno time for next Tuesday and have a tuner :happy feet: . I am taking to a performance shop best known for their indy cars. I am excited that J.R. Granatelli will be tuning the car. I will post results next week

You might remember this car Granatelli built a few years back . post-46130-0-42234700-1533185173_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

Scheduled dyno time for next Tuesday and have a tuner :happy feet: . I am taking to a performance shop best known for their indy cars. I am excited that J.R. Granatelli will be tuning the car. I will post results next week

You might remember this car Granatelli built a few years back . attachicon.gifGranatelli.jpg

Looking forward to your results. Are you planning a non-tuned to full tuned run sequence?

How has it been without the tune? down any WOT runs are still holding it back?

Looking forward to your results. Are you planning a non-tuned to full tuned run sequence?

How has it been without the tune? down any WOT runs are still holding it back?

No WOT runs untuned after adding the new turbos, don't want the Zoom zoom BooM! It has more torque than before with good low and mid range. This is the car untuned and it is not easy to hear but if you listen close you can hear the 4 tires as they break loose in this clip as it gets enough gas to downshift. No tire smoke or rubber patches just enough to break them loose. So far the new turbos make lots of TQ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kItJA9umOGc

Edited by Xtra

The tune is done!! :rockon::headspin: :happy feet: and the car runs great :arrive_alive::shift:

The results of the Granatelli tune on 91 octane gas with his Mustang AWD Dyno.

No tune with mods 276 hp at wheels -- Tuned gain of 85.6 hp total 361.6 HP at wheels

No tune with mods 314 tq at wheels -- Tuned gain of 102.3 tq total 416.3 TQ at wheels

** These were the best numbers over several pulls on the dyno. The average was less.

post-46130-0-34937300-1533789600_thumb.jpg

-

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 5

Can you list some mods? You seem to be 40hp on top of a very popular tune, which I assume was on 93.

I have a couple mods ... help :runaway::ford::doh: I can't stop !!

1. Salvaged 2016 2.7 EB Turbos - Car Part .com

2. Turbos rebuilt and modified by Comp Turbos
( Compressor Wheel spec. ) Stock - 6 blade cast 40/51mm, Mod 11 blade 44/57mm CNC billet.
3. Comp Turbos Turbo blankets
4. Ultimate Performance Intercooler with Garrett Core
5. Air intake Hack
6. Muffler heat and sound shield wrap
7. Custom Performance Engineering Rear Motor Mount, 60 Duro -
8. RamFab Cold side IC pipe
9. A-Fe Air Cleaner
10. Flowmaster Quad tips
11. MRT Axle back Mufflers
12. Rotora Street Challenge Brake System - 6 pot - 380mm X Drilled front , 4 pot 350mm X Drilled rears
13. H&R springs - Tire Rack
14. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S 265R21Tires
15. Custom Dyno tune by J.R. Granatelli @ Granatelli Motorsports in Oxnard Ca. ( These guys are awesome :2thumbs: )
16. Custom CNC IC grill
17. Strut tower cross brace
18. Reflective Tape inside doors and rear hatch. Visible only when open.
19. Custom design wrap
20. Nano Ceramic Tinted windows

21. Dash Cam with polarized filter

22. Reische Performance 170* Thermostat
23. BBK 65mm Throttle Body
24. JLT Catch Can
25. NGK-6510 - LTR7IX-11-ECO Spark Plugs One step colder gapped @ .029.
26. TurboSmart Kompact Shorty - Duel Port TS-0203-1081 Blow Off Valve
27. ADDCO Rear sway bar
28. Next ???? Remove and replace resonator with twin straight pipes

29. After that???

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

On 8/9/2018 at 5:25 AM, GT500R said:

DYNO graph please.

Here you go, and this is the average of several runs. A bit less than the max numbers I posted before. I will walk you through the chart. This is a 91 tune

1. At the bottom you see the Air Fuel ratio that took a big hit after 4,600rpm before the tune . This killed the top end. After the tune the ratio is flat all the way with a 12.9 to 1 ratio.

2. Next up is the boost you can see it dropped off at 5.000rpm and was 16.1pounds. After the tune boost went up one pound to 17.1 and stayed flat from 3,000 to 6,000 rpm

3. Next lines up is the HP max before the tune is 276 and it dropped off at 5,300 rpm. After the tune Hp jumped up 72 and never stopped climbing . This means I now have great top end and the car will continue to pull and build power up to redline.

4. At the top of the graph is Torque. Pre tune it made 314 pounds after the tune it made 394 pounds a gain of 80 Foot pounds.

Final Average results : Hp gain 72 -- TQ gain 80 ----- Totals = 348HP and 394TQ at the wheels with 91 tune.

post-46130-0-62452100-1533859348_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 3

Thanks for the graph. Questions/comments

1. Why stop at 5900ish rpm? Could have gone to at least 6300

2. What gear were the dyno runs made in?

3. Boost looks good compared to stock but stock seems a bit high... weird

4. Good a/f

5. Whats timing look like?

Answers:

1. Don't know

2. Think it was 3rd gear. Don't know for sure, just guessing.

3. Turbos are not stock and move more air. This why I posted in this thread.

4. Thanks, we think so as well .

5. EB programing will always run the most timing possible then the knock sensor kicks in and retards it. We did not disconnect the knock sensor.

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2

When are we getting drive videos, track numbers?

I am looking for a drag strip close to me, So far I found two one with a 1/8 mile and another with 1/4 mile both are around 80 to 100 miles away.
I should have a canyon run video posted after I get the new sway bar installed.
The car runs so much better now with the Comp turbos and tune than it ever has. Torque is amazing, before when I punched it at 30 mph it would squeal the tires. Now when I did it for the first time last night after the tune it surprised me and it was hard to hold onto making a "S" as the tires broke loose and the car jumped. And the top end is scary for the street now as it just keeps building power and going faster and faster instead of like before it would loose power in the top end. It just keeps pulling and building HP. I love it!~ :headspin:
Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1