2016 Sport 2.7 BOV

snmjim

Lets start off with HAPPY NEW YEAR!... :headspin:

I realize that many of you have been patiently waiting for this information but unfortunately there are those who can find the time to take what we have to offer but can't find the time to give back.

That being the case here, to spare you any further delay I'm going to at least provide the pics and highlight in red the areas of focus.

post-46284-0-07912400-1515001255_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-35364800-1515001267_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-86007700-1515001277_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-51185000-1515001294_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-98296200-1515001307_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-38407400-1515001319_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-01007900-1515001335_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-65342200-1515001347_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-75793700-1515001359_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-01579200-1515001373_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-16973400-1515001386_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-45140100-1515001429_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-78819700-1515001441_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-40528500-1515001454_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-77999400-1515001466_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-68249900-1515001479_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-16278200-1515001494_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-38638600-1515001507_thumb.jpg

post-46284-0-48252800-1515001521_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Usually you can control at what pressure the bov is activated

but when i said what is the benefit... i guess i'm saying it because, after all, this is a ford edge, and even tuned i personally don't believe these are pushed hard enough to need such a mod. but then again, my research has been limited, so maybe jim can give me more input

if you want the sound, just do the VTA mod, for less than $3

Edited by Mikula

The control part comes from the factory springs and diaphragms typically having some "give", creating performance variance. So by using the TS or other BOV, you are tightening tolerances, and hopefully & concurrently, improving performance. On the Ecoboost engines, Ford uses a lot of parts that are under-spec'd from a tuner perspective, so you have hose clamps coming loose, hoses cracking, causing all kinds of boost leaks, etc. Fortunately the intercoolers have withstood the test of time LOL.

But yes, for most people, it will only be a "bling" mod. For those who tune their Edges for performance, it will allow the tuner to have more control over the tune. If the mechanical parts are "loose" in their behavior, you have to dial back the tune for safety.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

BUMP!!!... :love_shower:

Thnx Manu for chiming in, you're right on the money... :worship:

In addition, the stock BOV's spring is weak which allows for premature pressure/charge release.

Also as we Mod we need the ability to make blow off adjustments.

Special K is much more savvy in the specifics of this benefit, I'll ask him to chime in... :whistling:

4 the record...we're not bling kinda guys.

We're form, fit & function logistics engineers.

We post to benefit forums members, not to boast... :hat_tip:

• Like 2

First, lets establish what a Blow Off Valve (BOV) is:

The blow-off valve releases the pressure from the turbocharger before the inlet/intake manifold, when the throttle is closed the air has nowhere to go. It stops the air surging and going back through the compressor wheel. It's designed as a safety feature as far as the turbo is concerned.

Next, how does it work:

When the throttle is closed, a vacuum forms in the manifold. This in combination with the pressurized air from the turbocharger moves the piston in the valve up, releasing the pressure into the inlet of the turbo (Recirc.) or the atmosphere (Vent to atmosphere VTA).

Now lets get into the myths about BOV, these are not to live by but give general concepts and of course there are exceptions to every example:

Blow-off valve myth #1: One of the biggest misconceptions about blow-off valves is that you need to tighten the spring to run higher boost. This is totally incorrect (at least, for a GFB valve anyway), as you can see from the last paragraph, at full throttle, the pressure on the top and bottom of the valve is equal, therefore cancelling itself out. So no matter what boost pressure you run, the valve will stay shut.

HOWEVER : Having said that, some factory valves (including the one used on the edge) have systems designed into them to crack open at high boost, in order to protect the engine from boost spikes. They do this by designing the pressure to be unequal on the top an bottom of the valve, thereby overcoming the spring at a certain pressure.

Blow-off valve myth #2: The fluttering sound is usually believed to be the blow-off valve. In reality, it is caused by a blow-off valve, but does not come from the blow-off valve. If the spring pre-load is adjusted too tight, this will cause compressor surge, which as described above is the sound of air exiting the turbo.

Having established the basics, why do you need a BOV for your car?

If you intent is to tune and call it good, you do not need one.

If your goal is to go fully bolted (intake, boost tunes, down pipes, intercooler, and exhaust. you still TECHNICALLY do not need one however the stock BOV will crack open at your newly found higher boost.

If your goal includes the above plus better turbos you absolutely need one for precise control.

The control part comes from the factory springs and diaphragms typically having some "give", creating performance variance. So by using the TS or other BOV, you are tightening tolerances, and hopefully & concurrently, improving performance. On the Ecoboost engines, Ford uses a lot of parts that are under-spec'd from a tuner perspective, so you have hose clamps coming loose, hoses cracking, causing all kinds of boost leaks, etc. Fortunately the intercoolers have withstood the test of time LOL.

But yes, for most people, it will only be a "bling" mod. For those who tune their Edges for performance, it will allow the tuner to have more control over the tune. If the mechanical parts are "loose" in their behavior, you have to dial back the tune for safety.

So yes you are 98% correct. most people want the noise but it is also for the use of control as you stated.

BUMP!!!... :love_shower:

Thnx Manu for chiming in, you're right on the money... :worship:

In addition, the stock BOV's spring is weak which allows for premature pressure/charge release.

Also as we Mod we need the ability to make blow off adjustments.

Special K is much more savvy in the specifics of this benefit, I'll ask him to chime in... :whistling:

4 the record...we're not bling kinda guys.

We're form, fit & function logistics engineers.

We post to benefit forums members, not to boast... :hat_tip:

hope this helps

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I guess my question still kind of remains. the edge has some kind of diverter valve already, so the main difference between the stock valve, and this blow off valve, is that it supposedly doesn't crack open under higher boost?

i'd be interested to know where this info came from as to our stock valve opening under higher boost. as far as my conversation with livernois, i was told that is not the case on the edge, even with their v3 tune.

I guess my question still kind of remains. the edge has some kind of diverter valve already, so the main difference between the stock valve, and this blow off valve, is that it supposedly doesn't crack open under higher boost?

i'd be interested to know where this info came from as to our stock valve opening under higher boost. as far as my conversation with livernois, i was told that is not the case on the edge, even with their v3 tune.

Try going to:

http://www.turbosmart.com

For more in-depth facts...

Try going to:

http://www.turbosmart.com

For more in-depth facts...

I'm not sure how that was supposed to help me. If you're expecting me to trust someones word for it because its on the internet, you must think i'm a registered voter!

I have not heard of any single event of someone having an issue on their 2.7l because of the stock valve leaking

Edited by Mikula

Mikula, there is no need to respond like that, we are sharing information that is provided by manufactures. SNMJim provided the link to the turbosmart BOV for our cars for YOU to read more information about the product directly from the manufacturer to answer YOUR questions.

Also, as you stated...said "EVENTS" would not cause an issue, just less accuracy and possible bypass at peak boost. The use of a stock BOV vs a quality aftermarket one is the equivalent accuracy difference of measuring in Centimeters vs millimeters.

Next time you post, try to be constructive as we are trying to make headway in the platform.

- Thanks

Edited by Special_K
  • Like 3

Mikula, there is no need to respond like that, we are sharing information that is provided by manufactures. SNMJim provided the link to the turbosmart BOV for our cars for YOU to read more information about the product directly from the manufacturer to answer YOUR questions.

Also, as you stated...said "EVENTS" would not cause an issue, just less accuracy and possible bypass at peak boost. The use of a stock BOV vs a quality aftermarket one is the equivalent accuracy difference of measuring in Centimeters vs millimeters.

Next time you post, try to be constructive as we are trying to make headway in the platform.

- Thanks

Not sure why you are taking any of this as an attack. I'm just speaking up and asking questions for people who are uninformed/misinformed, myself included. My questions for the edge platform are not going to be answered by a manufacturer that makes "claims". which Is why i said the link to the BOV manufacturer didn't help answer a single question i had.

since you and jim have been miles ahead of anyone else in trying to make headway on these vehicles with aftermarket stuff, my job as a consumer is to figure out what is/isn't worth the coin/effort. I'm posting here, directing questions to the two of you, because you are the 1st that I'm aware of diving into such things, and i'm wondering why I should, or should not, join you in doing so. Hence, the questions directed at YOU, the ones doing the mods and passing along the facts and feedback.

I have given my thanks to both of you in threads here and there, because I, along with others, are grateful. So please, don't assume these are attacks, when in reality I am fact checking.

what i'm gathering thus far is, a stock BOV or diverter valve, or whatever you want to call it, CAN crack open/leak under high boost. I'd say that is a fact (in it's own misguided right). What i'm saying is, that I can not find a single documented case where that has happened thus far on this platform with or without a tune. so here I am, asking the 2 of you, why YOU installed a BOV, and why some of us should consider it also.

Nick you are about half correct.

The part you're right about: It is not a necessity for folks staying near stock due to low boost and with in factory spec.

The incorrect part is the BOV is a safety/security modification and becomes a necessity with aftermarket turbos due to the higher accuracy needed when running higher boost on stock bottom ends.

Please remember, as pioneers in the platform we have responsibility of providing non-biased and factual information based on long-term experience (10+ years) or other legitimate sources.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You got all this from me saying it barely goes off when tuned and will basically never go off unless really pushing the car in stock form?

Nick you are about half correct.

The part you're right about: It is not a necessity for folks staying near stock due to low boost and with in factory spec.

The incorrect part is the BOV is a safety/security modification and becomes a necessity with aftermarket turbos due to the higher accuracy needed when running higher boost on stock bottom ends.

Please remember, as pioneers in the platform we have responsibility of providing non-biased and factual information based on long-term experience (10+ years) or other legitimate sources.

I didn't realize you two were looking to swap aftermarket turbos in here too. just swap a junkyard LS with china turbos in there and be done with it!

ok, ok i didn't mean that... we'll stick to ford parts!

trust me if an ls3 would be an easy swap i would have done it already ;-).

But we are looking for a left and right turbo to send off to have 2867gtx cores machined in, with the goal to hit 24psi and hold till redline instead of tapering off to 14psi and blowing hot air like our stock ones do.

• Like 2