Cleaning wax off black plastic parts

From the first time I waxed my Sport I got a fair amount of wax on the matt black plastic parts.

I use a pencil eraser then "Back to Black" and it would only last max a week, I even tried smooth peanut butter and it performed a little better, then this weekend I tried another internet idea, Magic Erasers.

It took a fair bit of rubbing, and trashed one sponge pad, but the plastic looks as good as new and don't believe I'll need to use creams like "Back to Black".

There's one detailing issue that I wonder if you all also encounter - I now carry a microfibre cloth and can of compressed air in the car, which I use every time I get out the car wash to blow the residual water out of the two side mirrors and wipe off what's dripped from them.

If I don't do this, when I stop some time later the sides are covered in water/soap spots.

I've thought of drilling drain holes on the underside of the mirrors, but too scared.

Anyone else find this?

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

Mirrors dripping long after a wash is pretty common on most vehicles. One thing I do that helps is I really try and flush all the soap out with the power washer so that its just water that drips. Drilling vent holes in the bottom may help some but I doubt it would completely eliminate it. I have used a proper air compressor with a gun nozzle to really blow all the water out which worked pretty well. Even then the occasional drip happens, just have to wipe it off before it dries, if you can catch it in time. The air compressor is great for detailing the interior too, it gets all the dust and tiny debris out of the seams really well.

• Like 1

i've found that if you push the mirrors forward (toward the windshield) it opens up a large cavity.. that is where nearly all the water sits after a wash. It drove me crazy for the first few washes but now that i've found it, no issues since!

Thanks, I'll give that a try - if I don't use the compressed air can immediately after the drive through wash, which includes a towel dry, by the time I get home or the next stop the water spots are all over the side of the car, which of course is so much more noticeable on black.

Edited by 1004ron

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have used a Hi-Polymer eraser by Pentel to remove the wax on the black plastic.

I tried that, but I suspect mine is too tough for that due to the length of time its had to bake on.

I used Goo Off (like Goo Gone) with a magic eraser and it worked the best of all, finished off with Ultimate Black and it still looking good since a day after your post.

I use turtle wax ice,can be put in all the parts,even the plastic, works great I think.

Thanks, I'll be giving that a try.

post-44162-0-46932900-1523830455_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

i would be afraid to use goof off on plastic. i've seen it attack/melt plastic before.

IIRC, i've used detailing spray to get wax off of black plastic before.

back to black won't remove wax since it is just a dye. i've had great success getting faded black plastic looking new again.

same thing with the meguiare's plastic restorer, it's for restoring color, not removing wax.

one other solvent i have used for many things is WD40. doesn't attack the plastic or paint.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, IcyFridge said:

I know this is older, but wanted to state that peanut butter works for this as well.

I've read that and tried it, and can confirm that it "works", but for a very short time - the oil just masks it for a little while.

I've found a small firm brush with detergent or mineral spirits to be the most effective long term solution, followed up with frequent use of 303 UV Protectant

Edited by 1004ron

15 minutes ago, gary255 said:

Mr. Clean - Magic Eraser.

Be very careful with those, the "Magic" in them is abrasive and will damage textured and gloss finishes.

The Warning Label

Melamine foam erasers work well; but on surfaces that are painted, polished or easily scratched, they might work a little too well. It's recommended to test the eraser on a small, preferably unnoticeable, portion of whatever you're looking to clean before you dive on in.

https://www.wired.com/2015/09/whats-inside-mr-clean-magic-eraser/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have found that a simple pencil eraser works fantastic!   I get one of those rectangular ones like from grade school with the beveled edges on the long sides, and rub back and forth, then wipe off the eraser dust with a microfiber and the wax residue is gone.

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2018 at 10:12 PM, David Young said:

I use an electric leaf blower I bought from Walmart for $30. This is good enough to blow out the water from the Grille and the mirrors. After blowing the big water off I finish drying with a chamois. Just saying..... :)

Meanwhile, I use my dog's blower...