G2 Edge Sport Catch Can

Xtra

Does anyone have an opinion on combining the JLT system with the RX Clean Side Separator? 

https://rxcatchcans.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Frx-clean-side-separator

I have a 2017 Fusion Spot and just bought a 2018 Edge Sport.

I pulled the clean side hose off the Fusion with about 6k miles on it and found some oil and am concerned.

Wanting to address it without installing 2 catch cans.

And if so, can the MAP sensor be installed in line without throwing a code as it will re-rout the line from the valve cover to the Oil Fill.

• Confused 1

On 1/28/2019 at 2:14 PM, Frankiebass said:

Does anyone have an opinion on combining the JLT system with the RX Clean Side Separator? 

I pulled the clean side hose off the Fusion with about 6k miles on it and found some oil and am concerned.

And if so, can the MAP sensor be installed in line without throwing a code as it will re-rout the line from the valve cover to the Oil Fill.

We, Special K & I, were part of the development & evaluation of this system and highly recommend you dig back in this topic string to find the contact Info for Vinny (JLT owner) to get an education on the system to save yourself from creating the overkill & potential future problems that you are headed for...:hat_tip::lurk::whistling:

Edited by snmjim

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Cree said:

Anyone know of any method/work around of shipping one of these to Cali? Or am I sh*%t out of luck? 

Reach out to @Xtra He is in California. He also has most if not all of the mods available for his edge. Including the catch can. I'm sure he can point you in the right direction of how you can join the cool kids catch can club!

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 11:14 AM, Frankiebass said:

I think this would be complete overkill, I'm running the JLT only and I'm happy with the results so far.

• Like 1

Just ordered the Jlt. Now I just have to make a decision weather or not to clean valves etc before install. I have 45k miles on my 15 sport. Worth it? I would rather just slap it on and save the time/money. But then again, those pics of black crusted valves are flaring up my anxiety 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cree said:

Just ordered the Jlt. Now I just have to make a decision weather or not to clean valves etc before install. I have 45k miles on my 15 sport. Worth it? I would rather just slap it on and save the time/money. But then again, those pics of black crusted valves are flaring up my anxiety 

The fact that those pics aren't of a Ford Edge Sport, I'd do an inspection before attempting any cleaning procedure, which carries risks.

I added the JLT at around 25K mi, and not going to bother with any inspection or cleaning, ......... when the spark plugs are due for changing, and the inlet manifold is removed for that, I'll inspect the intakes.

5 hours ago, Cree said:

Hello Cree

Note that everyone has an opinion and many are not based on facts i.e. the bore scope Pics in our inspection post on page 4 are in fact from our 2016 Edge Sport. We clearly state which Pics are from the Audi S4, first 2, and which are from the 2016 Edge Sport.

SpecialK & I are in the development & sustainment sides of the engineering field. We pride ourselves on doing our best to present facts. Therefore we highly recommend you go through this topic thread and thoroughly read our posts, especially those on page 4, and you will be better educated to make your own decision.

Unfortunately even after all the facts are presented the decision is still subjective.

Note: we are maticulous perfectionists and after inspecting the intake & valves we decided it wasn't necessary.

Edited by snmjim
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

The fact that those pics aren't of a Ford Edge Sport, I'd do an inspection before attempting any cleaning procedure, which carries risks.

I added the JLT at around 25K mi, and not going to bother with any inspection or cleaning, ......... when the spark plugs are due for changing, and the inlet manifold is removed for that, I'll inspect the intakes.

I was wondering if we had to do that.  Know on my wife's 3.5 Ecoboost you had to.  I had not seen a plug change on the 2.7 yet.  

3 hours ago, veener79 said:

I was wondering if we had to do that.  Know on my wife's 3.5 Ecoboost you had to.  I had not seen a plug change on the 2.7 yet.  

A spark plug change will not provide accurate determining Info.

Most often the plugs will look fine and the intake valves will be coked beyond reason.

The sure way is with a scope or pulling the intake for a up close visual...?

• Like 1

Understood, I should have said, if 

16 hours ago, snmjim said:

Hello Cree

Note that everyone has an opinion and many are not based on facts i.e. the bore scope Pics in our inspection post on page 4 are in fact from our 2016 Edge Sport. We clearly state which Pics are from the Audi S4, first 2, and which are from the 2016 Edge Sport.

SpecialK & I are in the development & sustainment sides of the engineering field. We pride ourselves on doing our best to present facts. Therefore we highly recommend you go through this topic thread and thoroughly read our posts, especially those on page 4, and you will be better educated to make your own decision.

Unfortunately even after all the facts are presented the decision is still subjective.

Note: we are maticulous perfectionists and after inspecting the intake & valves we decided it wasn't necessary.

Understood. I have read all pages. What I meant to say if if there was any build up and even a chance of compromised performance I would take issue with it if there was something I could do about it. But I hear you on the subjective nature of it all. Thanks for the advice. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Installed a JLT Catch Can on my new 2019 Edge at roughly 50km, and I just checked it at 1600km to see what was inside.

Quite a decent amount of oil, and a few particulates in there sunk to the bottom as well.

Very glad I put this on when it was new to prevent all of this from going back into the engine.

IMG_8261.thumb.jpg.52abd163b394970624eccdea8d8dde9d.jpg

IMG_8266.thumb.jpg.591cc4cf34b5fd7747de9c089548e3aa.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 7:04 PM, 1004ron said:

This is what I find in my JLT 3.0 can after around 500 miles.

I can't resist checking it when I check my engine oil level.

IMG_3986.JPG

Mine would be 3/4 full in 5-7 days when the temperature got down  to -20 C. Mostly due to the hot vapors condensing in an ice cold catch can. In my application the can was further from the motor. On the edge it's in a good location as it will be kept warmer from the engine heat.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I finally found a mod that can be done in less than 15 min.I was able to install the catch can in 14 mins[timed] Everything else has taken 1 to 6 hours. Did it in my garage. Temp mid 90's with high Humidity. One mod left to do on the suspension and with this heat I think I will hire it done!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Larry said:

Catch Can?  Why?  Which engine do you have?

Thanks

Larry  2013 Edge 3.5

Larry I have the 2.7TT. The JLT performance catch can places a removable cup that catches the engine oil vapors and deposits it into the catch can before it is run back thru the intake and reburned which may cause carbon deposits to form on the valves. Every few thousand miles or so you unscrew the can and dispose of the oil. .

• Like 1

Thats my oil separator. I got it for my Focus and decided to use it for my Edge. I bought another oem hose and cut the hose off to use the connectors.

It's working well so far. I use the drain button at the bottom to drain onto a rag as I see it build up. Steeda sells replacement filters as well. I have a message in with them about how long a filter lasts. Awaiting a response.

Edited by Project_Edge
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Project_Edge said:

Thats my oil separator. I got it for my Focus and decided to use it for my Edge. I bought another oem hose and cut the hose off to use the connectors.

It's working well so far. I use the drain button at the bottom to drain onto a rag as I see it build up. Steeda sells replacement filters as well. I have a message in with them about how long a filter lasts. Awaiting a response.

I have a few concerns with that style, the sintered filter once wet with oil, which won't take long, will present a air/gas flow restriction and from then on its going to be less effective and increases the potential for crankcase pressure to increase.

If I was to use the compressed air filters, I'd drill a few holes in the sintered filter and wrap it with the course pot scourer.

The other odd thing is the size.

Catch cans like the JLT rely on a gas/air flow direction change with gravity, a course filter like pot scourers, and a housing that will promote condensation - low gas/air pressure drop.

Also, those compressed air filters are really cheap - don't know what Steeda charge, and if they make any modifications to the standard air filters, but is doesn't look like it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-4-in-Air-Compressor-Filter-HDA70403AV/100027474

This one with a higher cfm rating and metal bowl at $26 would be a better option compared to the Steeda.

https://www.amazon.com/EXELAIR-Milton-FRL-Mini-Filter/dp/B01MEGKUIK

71+s-Ck0pQL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1