Synthetic oil only?

edgemaster

My wife went with her 2009 Edge to get an oil change and they tried to scare her into high-priced synthetic oil.

They told her the 2009 had a fancy engine that needed an synthetic oil change every 2k miles.

They even made her to sign a waiver that they couldn't guarantee their work with a regular oil.

Is there something to that nonsense?

Total baloney!!  I use synthetic all the time... I consider it cheap insurance. However, changing at 2k is absurd. Unless you are an extreme duty driver (lots of towing or very short trips), you can easily go 5k or more. I agree with a previous poster... find another shop.

• Like 1

Eric Evarts at Consumer Reports spoke with their chief mechanic and shared some scenarios when synthetic is the better option:

If you make lots of short trips, standard motor oil may never get warm enough to burn off moisture and impurities. That could hasten the breakdown of conventional oil. Also, if you live in a region with very cold winters or very hot summers, or if you use your vehicle for towing or hauling heavy material, synthetic oil won’t break down as quickly... Another good use for synthetic oil is as a salve for older engines prone to sludge buildup. This gunky residue can block oil passages and lead to a quick death of an engine.

As VEGA stated, your local Ford garage uses a blend of conventional and synthetic oil. It combines the best of both worlds, but at a reasonable price. 

A good change interval is as stated in the 2009 maintenance manual, 5,000 miles or every six months.

The 2009 3.5L is an excellent engine but it does have a couple of weak points. 

In the 2009, its important (critical actually), that the coolant be changed  from gold coolsnt to green through a specific procedure. It was found that tbe gold failed to provide sufficient protection and caused the coolant system to clog. Its also one of the causes of water pump failure through bearing seal corrosion. I had this procedure on my 09, years ago. Its an extensive process of flushing and I think I paid around $150. 

Another critical service procedure that must be preformed at or below 90,000 miles is to have the spark plugs changed. (Even if the car is running well). Failure can (will) result in burned out coils and possibly the power control module. Believe I paid $350. Coil or PCM replacement will run hundreds, probably over a thousand at a Ford dealer.

At around 150,000 miles it's a good idea to have the water pump changed as a preventative measure. These are internal to the engine, and WHEN it fails, will leak coolant into the oil and destroy the engine. I believe the cost will run in the neighborhood of $1,600. At the very least, monitor your oil for coolant contamination by checking the oil for a milkly appearance. If you see this, get to your dealer immediately.  

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

Wow that is a lot of information.

Is that conventional and synthetic oil blend available at other places than Ford dealerships? My closest Ford place is an 80 mi round trip so I use NTB for oil changes.

I usually have oil changes done every 3k mi and I have always used just regular oil. My old 2007 Edge was at 265k miles and the engine was running just fine until it got totaled by a T-bone crash.

Checked the coolant and it's dark green, looks kind of dirty, probably needs to be replaced.

As to the spark plugs, I did swap them on my 2007 Edge but my current 2009 model has only 46k mi on it, leaves me some time to change them.

Thanks for all the info.

2 hours ago, edgemaster said:

Wow that is a lot of information.

Is that conventional and synthetic oil blend available at other places than Ford dealerships? My closest Ford place is an 80 mi round trip so I use NTB for oil changes.

I usually have oil changes done every 3k mi and I have always used just regular oil. My old 2007 Edge was at 265k miles and the engine was running just fine until it got totaled by a T-bone crash.

Checked the coolant and it's dark green, looks kind of dirty, probably needs to be replaced.

As to the spark plugs, I did swap them on my 2007 Edge but my current 2009 model has only 46k mi on it, leaves me some time to change them.

Thanks for all the info.

Here you go:

12 Quart case of Motorcraft-Synthetic Blend 5W-20

You can also buy it by the quart at Walmart. Usually goes for $4.30/ qt. Unfortunately that price is for local pick up. Then again where isn't there a Walmart these days?

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, edgemaster said:

Great, thanks.

However I was hoping to find an oil-change place that offers that blend (other than a Ford dealership). 

Ah I see.  I've taken oil to dealerships/ oil change places and they offer a small and or no discount for using your fluids. I guess the best suggestion would be to call before you're stuck with oil that you can't use. 

Alternatively there are auto trade schools/ high school auto shop classes that do not charge labor but will provide service if you supply your own parts.  The students do the work and all work is overseen and checked and verified by the instructor. 

Don't know if that is an option but it could be something worth looking in too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

If you really don't want to get messy, get an extractor like the Pela and do it from up top.  If you are sending oil in for analysis, tho, you will want to drain oil the ole fashioned way, with or without a Fumoto valve installed.

This no worky.....tried with a Schwaben extractor  on my ‘16 Sport and got very little oil to come out....maybe due to the plastic waffle design of the pan?  Dunno, maybe I was doing it wrong.....

• Like 1

I'd love a Fumoto valve for our oil pans, unfortunately since they are made of plastic they aren't available for 15-18 edges.  One would have to think that after the plastic oil pan debacle on the F150 ,they would just make them metal across the board.  Since plastic is infinitely cheaper than metal we know which direction the bean counters dictate the engineers in.....

• Like 1

Hmmm ...  good points all.  Enough changes with Gen 2 that these too need researching.  But the oil extractor/Fumoto idea works very well for 2007-14.  Have to wonder why such an issue to pull oil from the top on a Gen 2 (Sport).  Perhaps they have some type of J hook device like Toyota has on their trans pans.

• Like 1

Believe what the OP was asking was, can he find a local, non-Ford garage to put in the Motorcraft Blend.

Try calling your local garage, the one you normally use and tell them this is what you want. Most garages will put in whatever you ask for. Most will just change the oil (charge for labor) if you bring in your own oil, purchased elsewhere (my local Ford/Lincoln Garage has done this for me, using synthetic before they switched to blend).

• Like 2