Car theft experiences?

Fingernip

Has anyone had any experiences with car theft or vandalism with their ST?

Last night as i prepared for bed a SUV pulled up to my house and 2 guys in ski-masks jumped out and began scoping out my car. They saw they were being watched and quickly retreated. Now I'm keeping the fobs in the microwave until I get an RFID blocking box or bag for them. Also need to grab some locking lug nuts today. Car is definitely going in the garage this spring after a major clean-out.

Edited by Fingernip
  • Sad 1

I'm looking into cameras. They are not the solution but can help tell the story after the fact. I was able to get plenty of footage from the neighbors camera systems and the car is of course stolen and the guys are masked. They were prepared to be filmed. I might get a signal jammer and wire it to a light switch so when I'm home i can jam any attempts to unlock/start the car using a fob range extender. Also the fobs will be kept in a RFID blocking bag now. Biggest thing is I would like to rig up a motion detector light with notifications sent to my phone when triggered. 12ga loaded with 2 salt rounds and 1 deer shot round at the ready next to a crack barrel 1400fps pellet gun (Car is parked right under the bedroom window)

So for camera system I got a ring door bell for christmas, I know there are other brands but it was a gift I didn't ask for so I had to take it.  I was so impressed with it that I got the Ring Flood Light Cam at costco online for $199.00.  I installed it in place of my motion light that truly just would give light to a thief in the night.  LOL  This floodlight cam is money.  It rings my cell phone when someone is in the driveway.  I can talk to them,  I can set off an alarm, etc.  It doesn't everything they say.  (watch youtube video on it)  So now I have one in the front of the house the back of the house and I purchased a Ring Stick up camera that is in the garage.  It is Battery powered but have had it for months and the battery is still at 70 percent.  I think they claim it is good for 6 months or 1000 notifications before you charge it again.  (charging takes 6 hours so have a spare battery ready to go or get the stick up cam that is powered.) In my case wanted battery to move it to locations that didn't have power.  Anyhow the flood light cam is a nice. 

Picture of outside Ring Flood Light Cam and Picture of inside Garage with Ring Stick up Cam.  Ford Escape will be sold this summer after winter for a ST Edge and Ignore the Shelby without the blower.. for some reason I feel 750hp isn't enough and in the process of putting on something better :)  Yea I know I have issues..LOL  

IMG_8109.PNG

IMG_8108.PNG

• Like 1

I understand about the subscription.  Look at NEST I don't think they make you pay.  For ring I have 4 camera's and I pay $99.00 a year for all 4 to record.  That also puts all 4 under life time warranty, so if 3 years from now one of your camera's fail they will send you out a new one as long as you pay the $ 99.00 a year.  I have a real alarm system in the house from ADT as well that monitors smoke, carbon, doors, windows, etc.  but that system doens't have cameras.  I have Erie home insurance and save over a hundred a year on my insurance because of have alarm system so I figured it was a wash.  I think it is $ 30.00 a year for just one camera and it is $ 99.00 for unlimited camera's. 

38 minutes ago, vmaxbaby said:

Picture of outside Ring Flood Light Cam and Picture of inside Garage with Ring Stick up Cam.  Ford Escape will be sold this summer after winter for a ST Edge and Ignore the Shelby without the blower.. for some reason I feel 750hp isn't enough and in the process of putting on something better :)  Yea I know I have issues..LOL 

Please tell me you are putting on one of these.

https://www.vmpperformance.com/VMP-GEN-3-TVS-2650-Supercharger-for-2007-14-GT500_2

7 hours ago, vmaxbaby said:

I understand about the subscription.  Look at NEST I don't think they make you pay.  For ring I have 4 camera's and I pay $99.00 a year for all 4 to record.  That also puts all 4 under life time warranty, so if 3 years from now one of your camera's fail they will send you out a new one as long as you pay the $ 99.00 a year.  I have a real alarm system in the house from ADT as well that monitors smoke, carbon, doors, windows, etc.  but that system doens't have cameras.  I have Erie home insurance and save over a hundred a year on my insurance because of have alarm system so I figured it was a wash.  I think it is $ 30.00 a year for just one camera and it is $ 99.00 for unlimited camera's. 

Good point. I’ll see if I get insurance savings. I like the ring system and how it unifies multiple systems seamlessly. 

• 4 months later...

Happened again! This time they actually got in the car. If they used a range extender and expected to start the car I’m sure they were disappointed. They ended up stealing an iPhone cable and made a mess of my napkins and that is it. So now I’m installing cameras and motion lights until I can clear my garage 

i have arlo cameras. you can set up the hub and/or your phone to make an alarm when the cameras detect motion. you can also set up zone on the camera so it only activates when people step onto your property but not walking by on the sidewalk. plus it's free to record and it's stored for 7 days.

9 hours ago, ben senise said:

i have arlo cameras. you can set up the hub and/or your phone to make an alarm when the cameras detect motion. you can also set up zone on the camera so it only activates when people step onto your property but not walking by on the sidewalk. plus it's free to record and it's stored for 7 days.

I went with a Annke system because it uses industry standard equipment that can be swapped and mixed with many different manufacturers. I can upgrade the cameras or NVR later if needed. Also the HDD can be upgraded with a standard PC harddrive. Its hard wired too but that also means Ill be climbing around in my unconditioned attic tonight :( forecast for today is 90ºF and humid.