Can it really be this easy ?

vmaxbaby

A friend of mine sent this to me yesterday because he was thinking about ordering one for his Focus ST.  I went to their website, read the reviews and it just sounds to good to be true.  And you know what they say when something is to good to be true. LOL

Just wondering if anyone has tried them or knows anything about this company. 

https://www.chipyourcar.com/

Yea I was thinking how could this be that easy,  for my mustang I put a bigger blower on it, long tubes, bigger TB, there is no way that car could be tuned with a device like this.  But thinking a stock vehicle maybe it would be okay just not sure how they would get the HP and extra mileage out of that device.  Would be nice if it worked especially if the dealer couldn't tell anything was done to the vehicle but I figured it was to good to be true.

I wont say it doesn't work. I know little to nothing about that specific company. They do at least say they require vehicle manufacture and model for a custom tune so who knows if it has any real benefit. I'm guessing it will at the very least adjust the throttle response to make it feel more peppy. I wouldn't bet on much else though. 

Just thinking, not saying I am correct, but.  Seems a chip changes some responses from throttle input, along with other data.  After a while the ecm or whatever would adjust to that input and adjust some?? or all of the chips input back to more normal input??   

A tune from a good tuner replaces some of the codes from the factory and keeps their tune doing as it was designed to do each and every time as that tune has replace some of the stock code.

Yes I know a very basic look at the two and may not even be close to accurate, so go ahead and jump all over my thinking.  ?

• Like 1

My friend at work thinks he is going to do it for his ST Focus so will see what he thinks about it.  He called the company and they told him a 30 day warranty if he wasn't happy so I think at some point he is going to pull the trigger.  I told him not to expect allot..LOL

19 hours ago, vmaxbaby said:

My friend at work thinks he is going to do it for his ST Focus so will see what he thinks about it.  He called the company and they told him a 30 day warranty if he wasn't happy so I think at some point he is going to pull the trigger.  I told him not to expect allot..LOL

For a Focus ST he could go with someone like Stratified and get an OTS+ tunes and Cobb AP3 for $500.  Gains of round ~25hp and ~80ft/lbs of torque depending on what fuel you select.  Heck even to get a more specific tune you send logs and it is like $50 more bucks to tweak it. 

2 hours ago, vmaxbaby said:

His ST is 2018 and was hoping for a tune that wouldn't be a warranty fight if something broke.  I told him they have to prove it was the tune that broke whatever ( transmission, engine)  but he doesn't want the battle.

If something breaks they can usually tell that it wasn’t stock by the way it fails.

23 hours ago, vmaxbaby said:

His ST is 2018 and was hoping for a tune that wouldn't be a warranty fight if something broke.  I told him they have to prove it was the tune that broke whatever ( transmission, engine)  but he doesn't want the battle.

He could go the Mountune router or the FRPP tune if he wants warranty.  FRPP is not really expensive but Mountune is pricey but they both have a 3/36 warranty on them. 

2 hours ago, jamie1073 said:

He could go the Mountune router or the FRPP tune if he wants warranty.  FRPP is not really expensive but Mountune is pricey but they both have a 3/36 warranty on them. 

Unfortunately neither vendor has anything available for the edge :(

22 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

Unfortunately neither vendor has anything available for the edge :(

I know.  I was hoping FRPP would come up with something like they do with the EcoStang and the FoST.  I asked Stratified and they were a big NO on tuning the Edge.  I believe Unleashed has something and we know Livernois does.  Maybe since they call it an ST now we will get something but I don't think the sales numbers are there to justify it compared to the other lines.  One could hope.  I mean I got a sweet Depo 3.5 FMIC for the FoST for $350 and it was great for keeping the charge air cool.  It baffles me that they could not even put a better FMIC on the ST line or even the Sport.  IO mean the unit on the F150 looks like it is a nice sized unit compared to ours.  I see our temps rise at least 70 degrees on a good run through 2-3 gears at full throttle.  The upgraded Depo unit kept charge air temps within 5-7 degrees of change.  Even with 23psi of boost.  Anyway.  I am keeping my fingers crossed. 

Even though it is a lease I am considering the LMS tune.  Seems safe enough numbers wise to not pop the engine. 

Edited by jamie1073

3 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

I know.  I was hoping FRPP would come up with something like they do with the EcoStang and the FoST.  I asked Stratified and they were a big NO on tuning the Edge.  I believe Unleashed has something and we know Livernois does.  Maybe since they call it an ST now we will get something but I don't think the sales numbers are there to justify it compared to the other lines.  One could hope.  I mean I got a sweet Depo 3.5 FMIC for the FoST for $350 and it was great for keeping the charge air cool.  It baffles me that they could not even put a better FMIC on the ST line or even the Sport.  IO mean the unit on the F150 looks like it is a nice sized unit compared to ours.  I see our temps rise at least 70 degrees on a good run through 2-3 gears at full throttle.  The upgraded Depo unit kept charge air temps within 5-7 degrees of change.  Even with 23psi of boost.  Anyway.  I am keeping my fingers crossed. 

It speaks volumes when FRPP will not support the Edge ST.  I think Ford is leaving a lot of money on the table.  I'm pretty sure that the FMIC that Sinjinn and Special K fabbed should fit the ST. There are other FMIC available as well. I don't see why any of the edge sport performance parts will not carry over to the ST.

Hopefully the new generation of edge owners will continue to carry the torch for the ST. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

It speaks volumes when FRPP will not support the Edge ST.  I think Ford is leaving a lot of money on the table.  I'm pretty sure that the FMIC that Sinjinn and Special K fabbed should fit the ST. There are other FMIC available as well. I don't see why any of the edge sport performance parts will not carry over to the ST.

Hopefully the new generation of edge owners will continue to carry the torch for the ST. 

Speaks volumes that the Ranger already has a slew of aftermarket support and the edge still has nothing. Edge is a dead end vehicle as far as big time aftermarket is concerned.

13 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

Speaks volumes that the Ranger already has a slew of aftermarket support and the edge still has nothing. Edge is a dead end vehicle as far as big time aftermarket is concerned.

There is that. The community that the truck is marketed towards is primed for aftermarket support. I don't think Ford truly envisioned the Edge as a performance vehicle.  They made some headway when they put the ecoboost engine in it. Even more when they developed the ST.  

It is fortunate that we have members such as yourself to raise the flag and take initiative.  Without members sourcing and, or developing after market performance parts for the us we may not have what we have now.