2019 AWD Titanium 13mph 'thud'

I have a 2019 AWD Titanium (2.0EB) and I've noticed a bump or thud type noise while decelerating to a stop.  You can hear and feel it almost as if you went over a small bump and I think it is coming from the rear.  It is subtle and gets overshadowed if there are a few bumps near the stop but pronounced enough that I don't know that it would be intentional from Ford. At first I thought it might have been in the brakes (ABS self check?) but noticed if I roll to a stop without pressing the brakes it also happens.  I turned the dash to the digital speedometer and it seems to always happen when decelerating right at 13mph with or without using the brakes.  This is my first car with a >6 speed transmission so not sure if it is just the last downshift that is a little rough but don't notice a blip on the tach when it happens.  I had one of the dealership mechanics take a ride with me and it wasn't as pronounced as it sometimes is during that ride and what he could hear he thought was just the AWD system de/recoupling something and was not an issue.  I read the the 2019's got a new AWD feature that can decouple the rear to send 100% to the front for mpg but not sure why it would engage/disengage right before a stop.  After that I noticed that if I have it in sport mode it does not do it and decels smoothly through 13mph.  It doesn't seem to have any negative impacts other than being noticeable so my current thought is to just keep an eye on it and see if it changes over time before going back to the dealership.  My question is if anyone with a similar Edge notices the same thing or if anyone has any better insights on what it is?  Thanks!

I see the same issue (2019 Titanium 2.0 AWD) downshifting.  Seems to be at the speed you mention although not measured, but it also seems to vary depending on the deceleration rate.  First thought was new transmission burn in (400 km).

I also noticed upshift is not a smooth as my 2015 Titanium 2.0 AWD.  Again, maybe it will adjust overtime, but that's wishful thinking.

Off topic, but what strikes me even more, comparing 2015-2019, is how the 2019 appears so much peppier in regular mode (not even sport) at almost all speeds.  The +5hp and +5 torque and the 8 speed -vs- 6 probably have something to do with this: I would bet on the 8-speed transmission as the main factor.

Thanks for the responses.

I did check for something loose because that's what it sounded like at first.  When I didn't find anything I started to rule that out by trying different acceleration and deceleration combos/severities that should have made a difference in the sound if it was something loose.  And then when I found it doesn't happen in sport mode I think that confirms it's not something loose in the car/spare area or even a loose bolt or something in the suspension.

I don't see a jump in RPM on the tach...it seems to hold steady through the thud then drop off shortly after but maybe that is how the low gears respond on this 8 speed.  Tried a few times to count the upshifts then downshifts to ensure it was still in 2nd before the thud but haven't yet found myself in an isolated enough situation to be able to get to a high enough speed and focus completely on the tach to not lose count.  Will try to find a wide open space in the near future.  If it is just the last downshift then maybe the adaptive transmission will work it's way out over time or can see about resetting it to let it start fresh. 

If I hear from a few others like cv27 that seem to indicate this is normal for this car then I'll probably be able to just tune it out over time...or spend more time in sport mode :)

• 2 years later...

I own a 2019 ST with 13,000 miles on it. About 5 months ago it started developing weird transmission issues. The first was in heavy bumper to bumper traffic when I was in NYC. A lot of clunking and slipping/surging along with strange "Thumps/shudders" when coming to a stop (Like a softball rolling from the tailgate to the back seat). You could feel it through out the cabin although it seemed like it was coming from the rear end. 

I had it looked at back in June and they did a SW update on the PCM. This seemed to fix some of the issues but not the thud/shudder while coming to a stop (Definitely not brake related as it does it with no brakes applied either). I took it back to the dealer (Not my purchasing dealer) and left it while I was on vacation but it sat for 7 days without moving (thanks ford pass). Needless to say I was upset so I picked it up and made an appt at my purchasing dealer. They had it for 2 days and came up with replacing the gas tank straps, which are on back order. Definitely not the issue but this is what ford tells them to do.

Not happy with that explanation, I started to look more in depth into when and how it happens (It does it 10 out of 10 times and can be consistently repeated as I did for the tech during a ride). I have come up with the following. 

It only happens when in regular transmission mode. If I put it in Sport mode or paddle shift, it does not happen. Furthermore I think I've traced it to a final downshift to 1st gear when stopping. If I am in Sport mode it seems to downshift at a much higher RPM and only into possibly 2nd gear until at a full stop so no thud/shudder. Also If I paddle shift up to about 4th gear and let it come to a stop without downshifting, it comes to a stop in 2nd and does not thud/shudder. 

Has anyone had any similar experiences? 

I've followed through all the transmission posts since I became a member 2 years ago so I know there had been a lot of issues since the ST came out. 

Smitty

Edit: I just found this. It's exactly my issue

Edited by Smittyjf

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting a low frequency grumble or a series of thuds at around 13mph or so. I suspect it is the RDU when the driveshaft either disengages or engages. It can be felt on accel and decel and is sometimes accompanied by a torque vectoring sensation as if a rear wheel may be getting more power than it should. It only lasts a moment but has become more and more obvious. The grumble can be heard/felt even over bassy music at volume level 10 with the B&O system. I'm dropping the car off soon to have the leaking oil pan fixed for the 3rd time (1st time TSB was not accomplished, 2nd time they blamed my Ronin oil plug). I plan to show them in a test drive and see what they think. 

• 9 months later...

After having my edge in the shop for months for transmission shudder, it's nearly perfect now aside from the thud. It feels like the 3rd to 1st downshift is just rough.

If I don't drive more than 30 mph and stop, it's fine. If I drive above 30 mph and stop softly or gradually, it will thud. Feels like something hitting the back of my drivers seat. No rpm fluctuations, just the random thud. It was violent before, but calmed down a bit. Plan to have the shop foreman at Ford drive it and see how long it's gonna have to be in the shop this time LOL.

I have the same thud while slowing down.  It occurs at 13 mph.  The rpm do blip when the thud occurs.  I just read these comments and will try driving it in sports mode to see if it goes away.  I was told the thud is normal by two dealers; the second dealer my brother copying the first dealers written comments.  I asked the first service manager who was telling me this is a normal thud from the AWD module, “if this was normal, why didn’t it exist before 7,500 miles?”  He insists it was there and I didn’t hear it—not likely since I rarely have the radio on.  Saw on FB someone had the clunk/thud fixed with the AWD module being reprogrammed.  Second dealer said mine had the new program, but I don’t know who did it unless it was done at time of build.  I’m concerned this will do damage over time. 

I have a 2017 Sport and I felt/heard bad thumping when going through roundabouts. I think it was during the 2-3 shift. I'm not sure if It was because I kinda "launch" into the RAB in second, coast to the middle of the RAB, then accelerate out. I think the 2-3 shift was happening during my coast and then the acceleration was slamming it into gear or something. I reset the TCM in ForScan and it seems to be less aggressive. I don't know if it actually did anything or not but it seems like the reset helped at least a little bit. 

Also check torque converter. I had a bad one on my old Titanium right from delivery. Dealer kept telling me software update will fix it. Kept getting worse until it felt like I was being rear ended . Finally found a new dealer, and just before warranty was running out got correct diagnoses and they replaced and rebuilt entire tranny since it was damaged from due to condition going on for so long.

20 minutes ago, MLTEdge said:

Also check torque converter. I had a bad one on my old Titanium right from delivery. Dealer kept telling me software update will fix it. Kept getting worse until it felt like I was being rear ended . Finally found a new dealer, and just before warranty was running out got correct diagnoses and they replaced and rebuilt entire tranny since it was damaged from due to condition going on for so long.

My torque converter was replaced for my shuddering issue, so it can't be that really.

It feels like it's coming from the rear end and only seems to be happening when slowing down from 40+ mph. I'll have the dealer check it out next oil change as I want to drive my Edge after being away from it for 4 months.

New torque converter could still be bad, or installed incorrectly. My issue was the worst right around 40 mph when letting off gas, or adding with a light pedal. Never hurts to double check since you are under warranty. Had a Ford ranger xlt, Ford rebuilt the tranny 3 times in 3,000 miles because the mechanics kept getting it wrong.

19 minutes ago, MLTEdge said:

New torque converter could still be bad, or installed incorrectly. My issue was the worst right around 40 mph when letting off gas, or adding with a light pedal. Never hurts to double check since you are under warranty. Had a Ford ranger xlt, Ford rebuilt the tranny 3 times in 3,000 miles because the mechanics kept getting it wrong.

Yeah. My initial issue was at 40mph with a shuddering at extremely light throttle. Right now, with some friction modifier in the transmission to thicken up the fluid a bit it's been running fantastic outside of the 13 mph thud. The thud used to be pretty bad the first week I got my Edge back, but now it's getting fainter. This is why I'm waiting for another 3k miles before my next oil change. Might have them check the RDU/PTU fluid levels to play it safe at 30k miles and ask for it to be done under warranty.

• Like 1