Oil consumption - 2016 Sport

ellygirl084

Hi guys,

Having a tough one here!

My 16' Sport has been running with a Livernois tune for almost 3 years (mostly on 91 octane tow or performance tune). For the last year, I have also installed a JLT Catch Can (oil separator).

It has ALWAYS underperformed, even before tuning when it was still brand new. I have never runned 0-60 below 6 seconds flat even with heavy left foot braking for boost buildup. It has also always smoked quite heavily, especially during winter time or below freezing temperature. It is mostly white smoke while weather is cold.

What is bothering me even more is the actual amount of oil being catched in my oil separator. It was completely filled after 2000 miles of softly driven highway. I had to empty it at least 4 times between 2 oil changes.

I told the dealer about white smoke (with pictures) and on my oil change, they saw the oil consumption because the level showing on the dipstick was quite low.

They made basic checkups, and they filled it, sent me on the road for 1600, and made me come back to have a look. They told me I was inside boundaries fixed by Ford... But I know something is not right with my engine...
White smoke (sometimes black), lots of oil being trapped in my catch can, low fuel milleage (especially for the last 20 000 miles). I don't know how if there's anything I can do to have it looked at thoroughly.

Suggestion? Normal behaviour (which I guess it isn't)?

Yeah, I was also thinking it was pointing to something wrong!

I don't drive aggressively at all, it's just that even brand new, or after the 6 000 miles break-in period, the car was still totally sluggish and slow. Worse acceleration than a 1.5L Ecoboost Escape. It is guzzling way more gas more than a heavy drinker having free beer (barely 300 highway miles on a full tank of gas).

I brought it to 2 different dealers, and they told me that nothing was wrong with it. So I was hoping to even be quicker than a 1.5L Escape, which I am when tuned, but BARELY!

Keep bugging the dealer. I had the heads replaced in my '17 Fusion Sport for the issue some early 2.7's had with bad head castings. Especially since you have the smoke, I'd bet money you need new heads. A few of the Fusion owners (thankfully not me) needed new engines entirely as the heads affected other components.

I'd flash the stock tune for a while and go back to the dealer in hopes they don't care since this is a known issues.  Hopefully you fall in the build date, too.  If not, google "Ford 2.7L TSB" with "oil consumption" or "white smoke", I know there's a couple TSBs out there for this with different build date ranges, and F-150's got their own TSB too.

----------------

TSB 17-2235   -  2.7L/3.0L – Oil Consumption With DTC P0524 And/Or P06DD, Rough Idle, Misfire And/Or White Or Blue Exhaust Smoke – Built On 1-Apr-2016 And Through 1-Jan-2017

Some 2016-2017 Edge/MKX, 2017 Continental, and 2017 Fusion/MKZ vehicles equipped with a 2.7L or 3.0L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) engine and built on 1-Apr-2016 and through 1-Jan-2017 may exhibit white or blue smoke from the exhaust, rough idle in neutral or park at normal operating temperature or after a hot restart. The vehicle may also exhibit an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306 and/or P0316, P0524 and/or P06DD with excessive oil consumption. Oil consumption may be 1 Liter (1 quart) in less than 4,800 km (3,000 miles)

• Like 1