Can I disable artificial engine sound in cabin?

On the 2019 Edge ST, I’d  like to just have normal, unaltered engine sound.  I’ve read a bit about Ford using either noise-cancelling tech or piping the sound through the speakers, I’m not really sure what they do.

Can anyone please elaborate on what’s actually going on with that and if it can be truly disabled (ie, without odd workarounds).

Thank you!

Jim

I thought there was an on/off toggle for that in one of your info screens but maybe not.

To answer your question, yes, you can completely disable that 'feature' using FORScan (a free program) and an OBDII reader.  In the proverbial nutshell, you plug the reader into your OBDII port, link it to FORScan then search for the on/off switch for the artificial engine sound (ACM  727-01-01  xxxx   x0xx   xxxx change 1 to 0 where shown).  If you're unfamiliar with FORScan then that won't make much sense to you but a search on this forum will offer plenty of information.  Bottom line, it is possible and it's easy to do.

Cheers!

Edited by Gadgetjq

8 hours ago, Jombi said:

On the 2019 Edge ST, I’d  like to just have normal, unaltered engine sound.  I’ve read a bit about Ford using either noise-cancelling tech or piping the sound through the speakers, I’m not really sure what they do.

Can anyone please elaborate on what’s actually going on with that and if it can be truly disabled (ie, without odd workarounds).

Thank you!

Jim

I have done it on my ST, it was done by the dealer.  I posted how under the Edge ST category from the main page.  As you can see, I posted it on 10 April.  Sorry could not post a link as I only have my iPad at the moment.

Sage

Enhanced Exhaust Tone in the Cabin - OFF, Update

By Sage,  April 10 in Edge ST

Edited by Sage

34 minutes ago, Sage said:

I have done it on my ST, it was done by the dealer.  I posted how under the Edge ST category from the main page.  As you can see, I posted it on 10 April.  Sorry could not post a link as I only have my iPad at the moment.

I think folks here are looking for a DIY option, not paying the dealership.

Edited by 1004ron

1 hour ago, 1004ron said:

I can't find that on the list of Forscan mods that I have.

Maybe you need a different spreadsheet.  Try this one  ACM line 109: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uDSQ1Z5a2Wt8-kjrSiVSlDFGFHnfeuhb3RTMVz95730/edit#gid=338817466

Every mod I've tried from this sheet has worked for my '16 Titanium but I don't have the artificial engine noise so can't try it.

Cheers!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jombi said:

gadgetjq, thanks!  I've ordered an ODBII adaptor and I should have it tomorrow.

--Jim

Great!  I hope you searched this group to find the correct reader.  The cheap ones are very limited when it comes to FORScan.  To see 'all' of your Edge's modules (computers) you'll need this wired one: https://amzn.to/2Lf64DF or this Bluetooth unit: https://amzn.to/2NPQ50m  (Android only)

Have fun!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

Great!  I hope you searched this group to find the correct reader.  The cheap ones are very limited when it comes to FORScan.  To see 'all' of your Edge's modules (computers) you'll need this wired one: https://amzn.to/2Lf64DF or this Bluetooth unit: https://amzn.to/2NPQ50m  (Android only)

Have fun!

Ideally a hardwired solution is the way to go, a lot less moving pieces involved when establishing a connection.  I use the bluetooth reader you linked. It is fully compatible with windows. 

6 minutes ago, omar302 said:

@onyxbfly, I also use the same adapter. Really good one. Also the new MX+ version has iPhone support and includes "additional" OEM code reading abilities that now come with no extra cost. Would help in diagnostics for non-Ford vehicles.

I brought the one I have towards the beginning of the year. We may have the same model, my brother uses the same one with his iPhone.  It also includes updates to different manufacturers. 

29 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

9=FT present & CS: North American & ANC absent & USB present

Wouldn't "9" be correct for my vehicle?

Think you're right, either 9 or A (ANC Present).  Maybe make a choice based on what's already in that x slot.  Be sure and note the original setting just in case you don't get the result you expect.

• Like 1

Looks like the latest Forscan revision displays the values differently.

I'll change the "F200"  to "F000" and take it for a test drive and report back.

Edit: All done and a short test drive confirms that its quieter under hard acceleration, and something else I notice is the distinctly different tone of the parking sensor beeps.

If I change the "F200"  to "F000" , then automatically the last set changes from "00D2" to "0D00" - not sure what that's about.

IMG_3760.thumb.JPG.349225fb481b3c88c7ab63cd2c30f115.JPG

Forscan ACM.jpg

Double Honk.jpg

Edited by 1004ron

7 hours ago, 1004ron said:

If I change the "F200"  to "F000" , then automatically the last set changes from "00D2" to "0D00" - not sure what that's about.

The last two digits are a checksum, it is normal to change after any change in the digits before. ForScan will calculate the correct checksum for you.

7 hours ago, 1004ron said:

and something else I notice is the distinctly different tone of the parking sensor beeps.

Normally the vehicle tones are routed through the audio speakers, sometimes they would come directly from the instrument panel cluster. They should return back to the audio speakers after a vehicle restart. If they remain coming from the instrument cluster then you have an issue, either the setting was changed with ForScan or some other reason.

• Like 1

There's something it my girlfriend's '14 Mustang..but I don't know how it works…:headscratch: I saw that there is a tube coming off the air intake system going to some kind of valve close to the firewall but after that I dunno…:shrug: I really can't say if the engine sound comes from that tube or if the sound comes out of the car's speakers…but if it's from the speakers, what happens when the audio system is off?

Claude. 

6 minutes ago, 2FAST4U said:

There's something it my girlfriend's '14 Mustang..but I don't know how it works…:headscratch: I saw that there is a tube coming off the air intake system going to some kind of valve close to the firewall but after that I dunno…:shrug: I really can't say if the engine sound comes from that tube or if the sound comes out of the car's speakers…but if it's from the speakers, what happens when the audio system is off?

Claude. 

2FAST4U,

I think you are correct.  From this link: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15117726/faking-it-engine-sound-enhancement-explained-tech-dept/

High-tech sound tuning is not limited to six-figure vehicles, though. Ford installed a resonator pipe between the Mustang GT’s V-8 and its fire wall. The Boss 302 takes this further by adding a second pair of exhaust pipes tucked behind the rocker panels. Owners can remove restrictor plates located just upstream of the side exits to open the exhaust. The resulting note causes pedestrians to duck and cover.

12 minutes ago, 2FAST4U said:

Claude. 

That is a different system/tech. The Edge Sport/ST use a totally electronic system similar to noise cancellation headsets. How it works in the Edge was explained in this post.

• Like 1

And on a similar note, (no pun intended), as a teenager I would turn over the air cleaner cover on my parent's sedan when I drove it, which would significantly increase the engine noise via the wail of the incoming air through the now-exposed air filter.   But in general nowadays I'm lean towards the "sleeper" characteristics--I don't want to announce that the car may have something special.   

Not to go to far off-topic, but in high-school my friends dad had the ultimate sleeper.  A staid looking 1970 Chevy Nova.  His dad didn't want sporty badges, etc, just a daily drive that would also tow his boat.  So he got a plain looking Nova with the 350 300hp engine, and a Muncie M22 4 speed--n SS badging, just a basic looking sedan.   When my buddy would come over all I could hear was that beautiful whine of the M22, but the engine note was family-car-quiet.  

1 hour ago, 2FAST4U said:

There's something it my girlfriend's '14 Mustang..<snip> I saw that there is a tube coming off the air intake system going to some kind of valve close to the firewall

That's an old school system that's been used in various forms by many automakers.  BMW has even installed a simple port through the firewall in some models that has a flap to control the amount of 'engine noise' that can enter the cabin.  The system under discussion here (for the Edge) is totally electronic with artificial engine sounds (maybe a small audio file) piped through the speakers.  The OP wants to completely disable the 'feature.'