ECU timing product questions.....Livernois vs Race Chip?

Dieselboy

I’m interested in improving my 15 edge sport’s performance without having to spend thousands. I’m interested in the Livernois or Race Chip. I contacted Race Chip  to ask for a comparison with Livernois and from what they said their product does not remove the restrictions put on by the dealer, and therefore does not void powertrain warranty like the Livernois.  Race Chip claims +53hp +73fp torque with their GTS chip.  It also works with an app to change settings on the fly. Plus if you buy another vehicle they offer a one time reprogramming. Has anyone ever used this product or have any opinions? I’ve read a lot about the Livernois but I’m still confused as to how these two items are different? Last if anyone has done any other mods to increase performance without flashing the ECU please let me know?  I’m still unsure if the computer is the cheapest way to increase performance. I own my Edge so I can do whatever I want to it. I’m looking forward to hearing some feedback. Thanks! 

I think what they're referring to is that Race Chip doesn't change the ECU programming so it's "theoretically" undetectable.  But that's not really an issue.   Race Chip and any other external device may or may not work because all they can do is modify existing sensor inputs and that limits both what you can do and the effectiveness.   Personally I think they're snake oil.

A tune will advance the timing and customize the A/F ratio for safe power increases among other things.  IMO it's the only way to go and Livernois has a great reputation especially with Ecoboosted Fords.

I just got the Livernois MyCalibrator Touch for my 2019 Edge ST.  I got three tunes, an 87/89 octane, a 91, and a 93.  I’ve only done the 91, and it was a noticeable difference.  

It was noticeable just driving, but to get real numbers, I used a mobile app, CarScanner, connected to the OBD port with the ohp WiFi adaptor, to do 0-60 timings.  Before the tune my best was 6.0 seconds.  With the 91 tune, my first try was 5.66 seconds. And it was on a slight uphill.  This is in sport mode, but not using the paddles, trac-off.

I haven’t had the time to go deep in the boonies to a good, long, flat, and traffic-free road, so I find a decent road nearby, then loiter slowly till I’m the last car, check behind me, then stop dead, reset the CarScanner 0-60 line, brake-torque to about 2500 and hit it.

Aside from fuel/air changes, one of the key things that helps is that it lets you actually hit the redline before it shifts.  Even in sport mode, the stock calibration seemed to shift well before redline, sometimes skipping a gear, leaving you well below the powerband in the new gear, costing a few tenths as the engine lugs.

I’ll post results of the 93, I’ve heard others on this forum say it’s phenomenal.

On 9/30/2019 at 10:29 PM, Jombi said:

I just got the Livernois MyCalibrator Touch for my 2019 Edge ST.  I got three tunes, an 87/89 octane, a 91, and a 93.  I’ve only done the 91, and it was a noticeable difference.  

It was noticeable just driving, but to get real numbers, I used a mobile app, CarScanner, connected to the OBD port with the ohp WiFi adaptor, to do 0-60 timings.  Before the tune my best was 6.0 seconds.  With the 91 tune, my first try was 5.66 seconds. And it was on a slight uphill.  This is in sport mode, but not using the paddles, trac-off.

I haven’t had the time to go deep in the boonies to a good, long, flat, and traffic-free road, so I find a decent road nearby, then loiter slowly till I’m the last car, check behind me, then stop dead, reset the CarScanner 0-60 line, brake-torque to about 2500 and hit it.

Aside from fuel/air changes, one of the key things that helps is that it lets you actually hit the redline before it shifts.  Even in sport mode, the stock calibration seemed to shift well before redline, sometimes skipping a gear, leaving you well below the powerband in the new gear, costing a few tenths as the engine lugs.

I’ll post results of the 93, I’ve heard others on this forum say it’s phenomenal.

The 93 is a BEAST.  I really want to take it to a dyno, because this thing has to be putting down more than 280ish hp to the wheels that LMS advertises.  Before my tune i was getting 6.1 0-60, now im in the 5.1 range....almost a full second to 60!  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the SCT X4 about a week ago. I got Unleashed to do a custom e30 tune with firmer shifts. Absolutely love it. easily chirps second gear and gets a little crazy in sport doing a pull. From all I have read, Livernoise and Unleashed both seem like good quality tuning companies. I would not do a piggy back system since it tricks the ECU into reading something that is not there and you can tune transmission and a lot of other smaller perameters. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2019 at 9:49 AM, Dieselboy said:

Did you consider the SCT GTX? Outside of display it doesn’t seem that there is much of a difference.

I wanted to stay in the 400$ range, i should have gotten the BDX though. I believe the GTX is awesome though with the screen resolution and size. But very happy either way on purchase and tune.

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2019 at 5:59 PM, 19EdgeSTeve said:

The 93 is a BEAST.  I really want to take it to a dyno, because this thing has to be putting down more than 280ish hp to the wheels that LMS advertises.  Before my tune i was getting 6.1 0-60, now I'm in the 5.1 range....almost a full second to 60!  

I finally got a dragy and was running the mid-level livernois tune (the 91, but using 93 gas).  It was a crisp cold night with thick air so I figured it would be a good run.  I got 5.18, I'll call it 5.2.   I had previously applied the 93 tune, and had been using about a half-can of Torco per tank, which I believe at that ratio will boost to about 94--I may be too nervous about knocking but I really like to know the octane is at least a point ahead of what the tune calls for in case the filling station had a mixup or quality-control issue and the 93 wasn't really 93.

Anyway, I didn't have the dragy then and I was on a 500 mile trip (also took extra Torco because 91 is the best some of these out-of-the way places have).  But I could feel it is punchier than the 91 in all aspects--especially highway-speed passing! Got in a tight spot on I-80 through Iowa with a parade of cars in the left lane led by a "do gooder" in a a 70mph zone.  Finally got my interval on the right side and paddled down to 4 and ROCKETED out and broke free, it felt amazing--sooo much more high-speed pull than stock.  And the confident handling and dead-straight tracking of the suspension made 120 feel like 80, and kept my wife from chastising me--that's a plus right there!

Once things die down on my other projects I'll put the 93 back in and post dragy results on the 93 tune, this is the 91 with cool thick air.

Screenshot_20191124-092515_dragy.thumb.jpg.cafb1dde32bc5bd21812194b715a8d96.jpg

5 hours ago, Jombi said:

I finally got a dragy and was running the mid-level livernois tune (the 91, but using 93 gas).  It was a crisp cold night with thick air so I figured it would be a good run.  I got 5.18, I'll call it 5.2.   I had previously applied the 93 tune, and had been using about a half-can of Torco per tank, which I believe at that ratio will boost to about 94--I may be too nervous about knocking but I really like to know the octane is at least a point ahead of what the tune calls for in case the filling station had a mixup or quality-control issue and the 93 wasn't really 93.

Anyway, I didn't have the dragy then and I was on a 500 mile trip (also took extra Torco because 91 is the best some of these out-of-the way places have).  But I could feel it is punchier than the 91 in all aspects--especially highway-speed passing! Got in a tight spot on I-80 through Iowa with a parade of cars in the left lane led by a "do gooder" in a a 70mph zone.  Finally got my interval on the right side and paddled down to 4 and ROCKETED out and broke free, it felt amazing--sooo much more high-speed pull than stock.  And the confident handling and dead-straight tracking of the suspension made 120 feel like 80, and kept my wife from chastising me--that's a plus right there!

Once things die down on my other projects I'll put the 93 back in and post dragy results on the 93 tune, this is the 91 with cool thick air.

Screenshot_20191124-092515_dragy.thumb.jpg.cafb1dde32bc5bd21812194b715a8d96.jpg

Very nice, cant wait till livernois starts to actually push the ST platform 

6 hours ago, Special_K said:

Very nice, cant wait till livernois starts to actually push the ST platform 

I hope they will, but.  I called a few days ago and asked if they might have a version 4 out in the next couple of months.  The person I talked with basically stated that the Edge was not a priority and he did not think they would be doing anything more.  If that is really the case, I feel for those that purchased version 3, at least I got versions 2 and 3 from them.  That would make LMS tunes for our ST pretty expensive, to me anyway.  

Edited by Sage

• 1 month later...

I have purchased the racechip GTS and what a difference, simple installation and great MPG boost as well on setting 3 avg 22-25 mpg highway doing 70-90 for an hour and 30. Also on tune 7 when turbo engages its a harder pull that keeps pulling and doesnt fall off. Ive raced a SRT jeep stock and it slowly walked from me. I have yet to race him again but now id say if anything hed barley beat me . My 0-60 time on a crappy road was a 5.5 but im sure with pratice i could hit a 5.3 100% reccomended

Though you are seeing gains, you could have had a tune for the price of the racechip. Then you could atleast get some transmission help too. HP of the HEMI will have it always walking away from you. the 2.7 in the Edge without heavy modding is not a HP friendly motor, Torquey motor for off the line, but can't keep the power for a 1/4 mile

The reason i got the race-chip is because of powertrain agreements, also the tuner is 600 bucks plus installation. With a full exhaust cold air intake I have no doubt that the edge will keep up with the jeep. On another note i do recognize when shifting from 3rd gear to 4th there is a lag as the car wants to grab boost but tranny cant keep up

Edited by Csmall14

On 2/1/2020 at 1:20 AM, Csmall14 said:

I have purchased the racechip GTS and what a difference, simple installation and great MPG boost as well on setting 3 avg 22-25 mpg highway doing 70-90 for an hour and 30. Also on tune 7 when turbo engages its a harder pull that keeps pulling and doesnt fall off. Ive raced a SRT jeep stock and it slowly walked from me. I have yet to race him again but now id say if anything hed barley beat me . My 0-60 time on a crappy road was a 5.5 but im sure with pratice i could hit a 5.3 100% reccomended

Are you brake-torquing when you do 0 to 60?  I’m running a mid-level Livernois tune (the 91 octane one) and I get consistent 5.6 without brake-torquing with it and some thick cold air I get 5.2    

What did it cost to open the exhaust?  Did you get a full system from down pipes to tail?  That may be one of the best mods to do but I’m a little wary of both cost and supplier, there’s a lot out there and If you have a recommendation I’d be interested.

I only did the 0-60 1 time and it was on a backroad right after a speedhump so i had to slow down asap. Once i get the car back i will rerun on a good street with a long straight. I think the chip is most noticed in gear 5 it holds 17psi steady. I was looking for a downpipe but i cant seem to find one yet. Only aftermarket i have is a racechip

Edited by Csmall14

2 hours ago, Csmall14 said:

I only did the 0-60 1 time and it was on a backroad right after a speedhump so i had to slow down asap. Once i get the car back i will rerun on a good street with a long straight. I think the chip is most noticed in gear 5 it holds 17psi steady. I was looking for a downpipe but i cant seem to find one yet. Only aftermarket i have is a racechip

Sorry, I misread your other post, I thought you'd done a full exhaust and intake mod.  Those are great times for that chip on pure stock!

7 hours ago, Csmall14 said:

If you do decide to go forward with the downpipes, you could save about $100 if 5 or more people ordered as a group. You can count me as one person ready to order.

Zury Fabrications, Zurymakesit@yahoo.com, (410) 579-1470

• 2.5 DOWNPIPES: Note: Fitting to a stock or 2.5 exhaust system must be clarifed!!! Add $100 for cerakote (heat management) 

Pricing:

Catless 304ss downpipe - $925

Hi-Flo Cat 304ss downpipe - $1125

Edited by onyxbfly