ST at race track

Xtra

Neat video, but the Miata destroyed him in the corners (which it should) & he only gained any ground on him in the straights or long sweepers. The corvette spinning was 100% driver error & not trying to catch the ST.

Maybe he could of done better if he left it in Sport Mode on his exits. He probably would have done better if he spent a few days driving it instead of taking to the track immediately after he got it. 

Still a decent video. 

18 minutes ago, lildisco said:

Neat video, but the Miata destroyed him in the corners (which it should) & he only gained any ground on him in the straights or long sweepers. The corvette spinning was 100% driver error & not trying to catch the ST.

Maybe he could of done better if he left it in Sport Mode on his exits. He probably would have done better if he spent a few days driving it instead of taking to the track immediately after he got it. 

Still a decent video. 

Didn't look like the Miata gained much distance in the corners. Definitely not "destroyed". Its hard to say how hard either driver was pushing it but in that direct comparison I would say the edge was all around superior and nearly equal in the corners. 

The fact that it took him at least 1 lap to catch the miata from when he says "pass the miata" , yes destroyed. He couldn't catch him on the back straight or the front straight....even when he's in view of the camera. Took him at least 1 lap to catch up (nice editS) & pass the miata from his 1st comment about passing it. Ground mainly made up on the long sweeping front straight & back straight. 

Edited by lildisco

2 hours ago, lildisco said:

The fact that it took him at least 1 lap to catch the miata from when he says "pass the miata" , yes destroyed. He couldn't catch him on the back straight or the front straight....even when he's in view of the camera. Took him at least 1 lap to catch up (nice editS) & pass the miata from his 1st comment about passing it. Ground mainly made up on the long sweeping front straight & back straight. 

Watching the video again he actually seems to reel him in the most in the curves. The long sweep the miata actually held the lead better. It wasn't until the twists that he got within site. He finally passed after exiting a curve in the straight (maybe due to driver error in the miata). You can see in his mirror in the long sweep the miata only slowly drops away.

30 minutes ago, Xtra said:

The reason the Corvette spun out is the driver was trying to keep up and did not have the skill to do so. Regardless he spun out trying to hang with the ST. So in my book the ST smoked him. 

If anything, the Vette was racing the Lambo & both were being slowed down by the ST. Neither of them were 'hanging' with the ST, the ST was in their way & they were waiting for the straight to pass 'legally' on track track days. (On open track days you're usually only allowed to pass on the straights or designated areas by the track marshals)

• Like 1

The 2019 ST Dragy time slip at the top of this page says it ran a 13.84 1/4 mile . My 2016 Sport runs 12.9

The ST would smoke a lot of the Corvettes of the muscle car era.  

Here are some Corvette ETs that car magazines reported from their road tests:

1. Motor Trend tested a 1964 model 327 / 375 hp fuel injected with 4.11 gears and turned a 14.2 @100 
2. Road & Track, 1964 model 327 / 300 hp automatic did a 15.2 e.t.
3. Car and Driver, 1965 model 327 / 350 hp and 3.36 gears got 14.9
4. Road & Track tested a 1965 model 396 / 425 hp with 3.70 gears and complained about wheel spin and turned a 14.1 
5. Motor Trend, 1967 model 427 / 435 hp with 3.55 gears did 13.8 @ 104 mph.
6. Car and Driver 1967 model 427 / 435 hp got 13.6 @ 105.
EDIT: 
7. C&D, R&T and MT did 4 tests on 1966 and 1967 427 / 425 hp and the average of those were 13.53 @ 107.6 mph.
8. Car and Driver 1968 model 427 / 400 hp did 14.1 @ 102
9. Car and Driver 1971 model (GM mandated lowered compression beginning with this year) 350 LT1 making 330 hp with a 4 speed and 3.70 gears hustled down the strip at a 14.57 @ 100.55
10. Car and Driver 1971 model LS6 solid lifter 454 / 425 hp with double-disc clutch & 4-speed turned a 13.8 at 104.65 with 3.36 gears.
EDIT: #11. See post later in this thread re the L88.
11. Car Life, model 1969 L88 427 / 430 hp, 3.36 gears, automatic, 14.101 @ 106.89 and top speed of 151 mph.

Edited by Xtra

I don't understand you're argument. You're comparing apples to oranges. The Vette on the track wasn't from any of those era's, neither was the Lambo. Find an Edge or equivalent SUV/CUV from those era's for a more accurate comparison. 

If you think I'm criticizing the ST, I'm not. I would really like one or a 2016+ Sport, but they're out of my price range. But saying that the Vette was getting smoked by the ST is quite hilarious. 

Edited by lildisco
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Xtra said:

Regardless he spun out trying to hang with the ST. So in my book the ST smoked him.  

My bad, assumed that you meant both the Lambo & Corvette because they were behind the ST. I'll amend my post to say just the Vette ?

Still, saying that the Vette in the video was getting smoked by the ST is most definitely quite hilarious. 

Edited by lildisco

26 minutes ago, Xtra said:

Just where did I say that?

Thanks for the clarification.

22 minutes ago, lildisco said:

My bad, assumed that you meant both the Lambo & Corvette because they were behind the ST. I'll amend my post to say just the Vette ?

Still, saying that the Vette in the video was getting smoked by the ST is most definitely quite hilarious. 

You're not alone! I read it the same way.

Please don't confuse what happened in the video., all my comments are about what happened in the video . The Vette spun out and the ST drove away from it therefor smoking it. In another time or place the Vette would smoke the ST but in this video it did not happen that way. If it was the last lap of a race it would have been Lambo First, ST Second and the Vette in Third place. I am not saying anything like the ST is faster than a C6 Vette.  Never said that. Just talking about what happened in the video. I posted the C1 through C3 Vette 1/4 mile times just for comparison.  How amazing that a 2.7L SUV is as fast as a Big Block C3 LS6 solid lifter 454 with a 4 speed @13.8 seconds.  And the ST gets much better MPG. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

Someone needs to make a new video now that the TSBs are out that fixes the shifting issues! That could be a very fun video to watch with the right driver!

Pretty sure the Vette could have caught up with that ST in no time, but we can't see the un edited video. Plus, who's to say that the ST wasn't lapped more than once by the Vette or the Lambo? The world may never know. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lildisco said:

Pretty sure the Vette could have caught up with that ST in no time, but we can't see the un edited video. Plus, who's to say that the ST wasn't lapped more than once by the Vette or the Lambo? The world may never know. 

When I said fun video to watch, I meant exactly that. A fun video to watch. I feel that if the Vette, Lambo and ST were on the starting line they would both lap the ST.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not shitting on the ST. I just view it with proper expectations

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/10/2019 at 5:23 PM, Xtra said:

Please don't confuse what happened in the video., all my comments are about what happened in the video . The Vette spun out and the ST drove away from it therefor smoking it. In another time or place the Vette would smoke the ST but in this video it did not happen that way. If it was the last lap of a race it would have been Lambo First, ST Second and the Vette in Third place. I am not saying anything like the ST is faster than a C6 Vette.  Never said that. Just talking about what happened in the video. I posted the C1 through C3 Vette 1/4 mile times just for comparison.  How amazing that a 2.7L SUV is as fast as a Big Block C3 LS6 solid lifter 454 with a 4 speed @13.8 seconds.  And the ST gets much better MPG. 

ROFL, comparing a carbureted, outdated engine to a car made 4 decades later?! I mean okay, ST is as fast as the Lambo Miura but I don’t think anyone cares why.  

How amazing, a fuel injected twin turbo vehicle with 4 more speeds on the trans and with 40 years of technology can beat an outdated dinosaur in a straight line ??

I’m sure the Vette driver went home and posted on the C5 forums (cause that Vette is a C5) asking how he can beat an ST... and he/she didn’t get smoked, they got out driven, there’s a difference

Omg this forum has gotten terrible over the years.

Edited by GT500R