thinking of trading my '16 Ti for a '20 ST and I have a few questions

ben senise

I'm very surprised that the '21 Edge is not on the Ford website yet. I imagine that like so many companies, Ford is taking a beating because of the pandemic. I notice that there are boatloads of 2020 Edges available at the dealerships. My 2016 Edge Titanium will be 5 years old in June and I would probably trade it in the next year or two. I'm thinking that maybe due to the current circumstances i could get a really good bargain on a 2020 ST.

A little anecdote: when i was in college, a girlfriend of mine got rear ended and the car was totaled. she got insurance money and asked me to help her find a new car. we decided on a car and went to about 7 or so dealerships and i basically said that we'd like to buy this car and we have this much money. she had about 70% of the price of the car. The salespeople basically threw us out but the last one said okay. so i'm thinking of trying the same tactic today. if i get a deal, good. if not, i haven't lost anything except a bit of time.

so please help me out with a few questions i have.

- seeing that car sales are way down across the board, how desperate do you think dealers are to get rid of what appears to be a huge inventory of 2020 models?

here are some questions specifically about the car:

- the interior in my 2016 creaks and rattles like crazy. are the 2020 models better?

- i find the road noise to be pretty bad in my 2016, both on the hankook original tires and the michelin winter tires. any improvements there?

- the headlights on my 2016 absolutely SUCK. I live in a somewhat rural area and there is a lot of wildlife; bears, cougars, racoons, and millions of deer. I can't see didly at night. How are the LED lights in the 2020 ST? good? fair? excellent? the fact that there are fog lights would help light up the side of the road a bit which would help a lot.

- finally, i'm wondering if i can keep a few accessories from my '16 and use them on the '20; 18" winter wheels and tires (no big brakes package on the '20 ST), rubber floor mats (original ford), the plastic tray in the cargo area (also original ford), the cargo area cover. the 2019 and onwards was just a cosmetic refresh and not a new car, right? my guess is that all this stuff will fit.

I'd love to have the big display and Sync4 that will be on the '21 but if i can get a killer deal, i could live with that trade-off.

What do you think? I'd like to hear your thoughts. thanks.

7 hours ago, ben senise said:

I'm very surprised that the '21 Edge is not on the Ford website yet. I imagine that like so many companies, Ford is taking a beating because of the pandemic. I notice that there are boatloads of 2020 Edges available at the dealerships. My 2016 Edge Titanium will be 5 years old in June and I would probably trade it in the next year or two. I'm thinking that maybe due to the current circumstances i could get a really good bargain on a 2020 ST.

A little anecdote: when i was in college, a girlfriend of mine got rear ended and the car was totaled. she got insurance money and asked me to help her find a new car. we decided on a car and went to about 7 or so dealerships and i basically said that we'd like to buy this car and we have this much money. she had about 70% of the price of the car. The salespeople basically threw us out but the last one said okay. so i'm thinking of trying the same tactic today. if i get a deal, good. if not, i haven't lost anything except a bit of time.

so please help me out with a few questions i have.

- seeing that car sales are way down across the board, how desperate do you think dealers are to get rid of what appears to be a huge inventory of 2020 models?

here are some questions specifically about the car:

- the interior in my 2016 creaks and rattles like crazy. are the 2020 models better?

- i find the road noise to be pretty bad in my 2016, both on the hankook original tires and the michelin winter tires. any improvements there?

- the headlights on my 2016 absolutely SUCK. I live in a somewhat rural area and there is a lot of wildlife; bears, cougars, racoons, and millions of deer. I can't see didly at night. How are the LED lights in the 2020 ST? good? fair? excellent? the fact that there are fog lights would help light up the side of the road a bit which would help a lot.

- finally, i'm wondering if i can keep a few accessories from my '16 and use them on the '20; 18" winter wheels and tires (no big brakes package on the '20 ST), rubber floor mats (original ford), the plastic tray in the cargo area (also original ford), the cargo area cover. the 2019 and onwards was just a cosmetic refresh and not a new car, right? my guess is that all this stuff will fit.

I'd love to have the big display and Sync4 that will be on the '21 but if i can get a killer deal, i could live with that trade-off.

First off.. I have a 2019 so I cant completely talk to the 2020 models but for the most part they are identical. In fact the 2020 omitted a few features the 2019 has. 

The ST being the least produced model may mean they are more willing to hold on to them rather than sell them at a loss.  

The 2016 interior is only a bit different than the 2019+ and any 2020 models haven't really stood the test of time. My 2019 doesn't have any rattles yet that I notice. My sons booster seat and all my umbrellas/grocery bags and ice scrapers in the back make more racket than the car. 

The ST has laminated glass and additional sound deadener. The stock continentals are pretty quiet and in general its a nice quet ride. At highway speed I can hear wind noise but its far less than any Honda but much more than a Mercedes. 

The LED headlights are fantastic. I don't have the adaptive lights and I don't regret not getting them. From what I understand the non adaptive lights have a wider beam to make up for the static line of sight. They are 1000000000X better than the halogen projectors my 2011 had. 

There is no actual "big break package" on the ST. The brakes are the same size but with the calipers painted red and different ventilation on the front rotors. Your wheels 18" and up should fit. All of your items should fit fine still. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fingernip said:

There is no actual "big break package" on the ST. The brakes are the same size but with the calipers painted red and different ventilation on the front rotors. Your wheels 18" and up should fit. All of your items should fit fine still. 

The "big break package" also includes a brushless radiator fan (I have not seen any reports that indicate that this is a much needed improvement) They also include "special compound pads" Not sure if there is anything special about them. They use the same part number.  It may be something that is vin specific, but I haven't seen any data to suggest/ indicate improved stopping power from the previous generation. 

I guess its all bout the bigger wheels and the red caliper paint in the big brake package!

9 hours ago, Fingernip said:

First off.. I have a 2019 so I cant completely talk to the 2020 models but for the most part they are identical. In fact the 2020 omitted a few features the 2019 has. 

The ST being the least produced model may mean they are more willing to hold on to them rather than sell them at a loss.  

The 2016 interior is only a bit different than the 2019+ and any 2020 models haven't really stood the test of time. My 2019 doesn't have any rattles yet that I notice. My sons booster seat and all my umbrellas/grocery bags and ice scrapers in the back make more racket than the car. 

The ST has laminated glass and additional sound deadener. The stock continentals are pretty quiet and in general its a nice quet ride. At highway speed I can hear wind noise but its far less than any Honda but much more than a Mercedes. 

The LED headlights are fantastic. I don't have the adaptive lights and I don't regret not getting them. From what I understand the non adaptive lights have a wider beam to make up for the static line of sight. They are 1000000000X better than the halogen projectors my 2011 had. 

thanks for the comments. you're right about the ST being the least produced but seeing that currently in this area there are more ST than the other 3 trims combined, 4 if you count the ST Wanna Line. Good news on the additional deadener. Hopefully it would help. Great to know the LED lights are better. Thanks for the correction on the brakes. The red calipers are not available in Canada and i never really looked into them.

7 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

The "big break package" also includes a brushless radiator fan (I have not seen any reports that indicate that this is a much needed improvement) They also include "special compound pads" Not sure if there is anything special about them. They use the same part number.  It may be something that is vin specific, but I haven't seen any data to suggest/ indicate improved stopping power from the previous generation. 

I guess its all bout the bigger wheels and the red caliper paint in the big brake package!

ah, special compound pads must have been what i was thinking of when i read about the ST a while back. thanks.

• Like 1

the interior in my 2016 creaks and rattles like crazy. are the 2020 models better?

My 2019 has no rattles or squeaks.

Very quiet with original Continental all season or the Dunlop winters. Laminated windshield and door glass. and a lot of sound deadener packed into it. my 2109 had the fake engine noise pipped through the speakers but i beleive they removed that for the later 2019 builds & 2020

LEDs and LED fog lights are fantastic. Had a 2016 SEL and the lights were terrible. one of the main reasons why i traded it in

I used to have a 2016 SEL and a lot of the accessories are direct fit on the 2019 ST: still using my 18" winters, my husky matts, etc... The only thing that i miss is the driver left side storage drawer. they done with it on the 2018+ MY. 

And on the 2020, you also loose the top centre dash storage.

I bought my wife a 20 ST leftover and we have zero complaints at all. This car has adaptive headlights and are the best we've ever had in a car. We traded in a 15 Jeep Grand Cherokee for the ST and the new car is better in every way hands down. I would search the dealer inventories and hopefully find the color you want, I highly recommend this car.

On 2/5/2021 at 12:06 AM, ben senise said:

It might be a matter of personal preference but that "big display" is one of the reasons why I would not buy a '21. It looks too much like an afterthought, like if the guys at ford "forgot" about it and just grafted an iPad on the dash... :headscratch: Although mine is smaller (2019), it suits my needs and "does the job" fine.

Claude. :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dajo2012 said:

I thought all safety glass was laminated.  Isn't that what makes it safety glass with two layers of glass with a clear vinyl layer between.  If the ST is different how is it different?

Windshields have laminated glass.  The other windows are normally tempered glass so they shatter into tiny pieces but some vehicles use laminated glass for the doors too to reduce noise.  Both can be called safety glass.

22 hours ago, ONEDGE16 said:

the interior in my 2016 creaks and rattles like crazy. are the 2020 models better?

My 2019 has no rattles or squeaks.

Very quiet with original Continental all season or the Dunlop winters. Laminated windshield and door glass. and a lot of sound deadener packed into it. my 2109 had the fake engine noise pipped through the speakers but i beleive they removed that for the later 2019 builds & 2020

LEDs and LED fog lights are fantastic. Had a 2016 SEL and the lights were terrible. one of the main reasons why i traded it in

I used to have a 2016 SEL and a lot of the accessories are direct fit on the 2019 ST: still using my 18" winters, my husky matts, etc... The only thing that i miss is the driver left side storage drawer. they done with it on the 2018+ MY. 

And on the 2020, you also loose the top centre dash storage.

thanks for your answers. interesting that you also had a 2016. I took the car for a quick test drive and it seemed to be quieter and squeek-free. i never used the top compartment but i did use the one on the left by the light switches. i keep a tennis ball in there so i don't have to hold the gas pump nozzle when they don't have the locking device. also interesting is that the lights were one of the main reasons you traded. same here.

20 hours ago, fastback89 said:

I bought my wife a 20 ST leftover and we have zero complaints at all. This car has adaptive headlights and are the best we've ever had in a car. We traded in a 15 Jeep Grand Cherokee for the ST and the new car is better in every way hands down. I would search the dealer inventories and hopefully find the color you want, I highly recommend this car.

i was thinking of going with black again but i was tempted by the blue.

1 hour ago, 2FAST4U said:

It might be a matter of personal preference but that "big display" is one of the reasons why I would not buy a '21. It looks too much like an afterthought, like if the guys at ford "forgot" about it and just grafted an iPad on the dash... :headscratch: Although mine is smaller (2019), it suits my needs and "does the job" fine.

Claude. :)

i wouldn't mind the big display and also the fact that the '21 is Sync4 but it's not a deal breaker. the 8" display is adequate.

10 minutes ago, akirby said:

Windshields have laminated glass.  The other windows are normally tempered glass so they shatter into tiny pieces but some vehicles use laminated glass for the doors too to reduce noise.  Both can be called safety glass.

so are the four door windows laminated with the plastic sandwiched so they'll stay intact if they shatter?

well, i can now  officially join this ST sub-forum. I pulled the trigger. i stopped by the dealer where i take my '16 for service and told them that if they made me a really good deal I would take it. they did and I took it. so in two days i'll go pick up my brand new 2020 Edge ST in Ford Performance Blue. It has the 401A, the cargo accessory package and the 21" black wheels. I am psyched to get it. this will be the third edge we have (2009, 2016, and now 2020). I like the edge for its size and comfort and versatility. looking forward to the new tech, especially the headlights and adaptive cruise. those are the two biggest things that will make driving more comfortable.

i always de-badge my cars so one of the first things i'll do it take off the Edge and ST emblems from the back. I had a quick look at the ST emblem on the grill but it looks like it's built-in to the grill. maybe i'll just black it out.

of course, now i'll have to apply all the hacks like eliminating the double-honk when i leave the car with it running and a few others.

i'll post pics when the weather clears up a bit.

thanks to everyone who has replied on this thread. it's great to get other people's opinions and answers to questions.

3 hours ago, ben senise said:

thanks for your answers. interesting that you also had a 2016. I took the car for a quick test drive and it seemed to be quieter and squeek-free. i never used the top compartment but i did use the one on the left by the light switches. i keep a tennis ball in there so i don't have to hold the gas pump nozzle when they don't have the locking device. also interesting is that the lights were one of the main reasons you traded. same here.

i wouldn't mind the big display and also the fact that the '21 is Sync4 but it's not a deal breaker. the 8" display is adequate.

so are the four door windows laminated with the plastic sandwiched so they'll stay intact if they shatter?

well, i can now  officially join this ST sub-forum. I pulled the trigger. i stopped by the dealer where i take my '16 for service and told them that if they made me a really good deal I would take it. they did and I took it. so in two days i'll go pick up my brand new 2020 Edge ST in Ford Performance Blue. It has the 401A, the cargo accessory package and the 21" black wheels. I am psyched to get it. this will be the third edge we have (2009, 2016, and now 2020). I like the edge for its size and comfort and versatility. looking forward to the new tech, especially the headlights and adaptive cruise. those are the two biggest things that will make driving more comfortable.

i always de-badge my cars so one of the first things i'll do it take off the Edge and ST emblems from the back. I had a quick look at the ST emblem on the grill but it looks like it's built-in to the grill. maybe i'll just black it out.

of course, now i'll have to apply all the hacks like eliminating the double-honk when i leave the car with it running and a few others.

thanks to everyone who has replied on this thread. it's great to get other people's opinions and answers to questions.

This is great news! I'm sure you will love it. Our ST is performance blue also, it is a great color.

On 2/6/2021 at 6:21 PM, ben senise said:

That is wonderfull news and welcome to the ST club. First mod to do is replace the weak single horn with a dual horn from a 2016 to 2018 model year

On 2/7/2021 at 2:21 AM, ben senise said:

Congratulations. Enjoy the new ride. If the 16 has a black interior, might want to consider taking the left drawer from it and replace it with the cover from the 20. It just pops out/in See this thread.

6 minutes ago, omar302 said:

Congratulations. Enjoy the new ride. If the 16 has a black interior, might want to consider taking the left drawer from it and replace it with the cover from the 20. It just pops out/in See this thread.

fantastic suggestion. i just checked it out and the drawer popped out very easily. now i need to surreptitiously pop off the panel from the new car and get it into my old one before i hand it over.