"Mystery door" to the left of the steering column ?...

In my '16 Titanium, there was a little "drawer" to the left of the steering column in which you could store small items but in my new '19, the door is still there (see picture below) but it won't open and there doesn't seem to be any drawer to pull out… :( There is a door allright but it doesn't seem to be "openable" even if I pull on it. I don't want to pull too hard and risk breaking it off… but my main question is this:  Does someone know what's behind this non-removeable door? :headscratch:

Claude. 

DSCN5871.JPG

image.png.95417443e32cdcbfff74ba013d846f75.png

It is supposed to give access to the fuse panel, but like the 2015+ models, fuse access from there is very limited. I also remember reading a member here who got a drawer from a previous model and installed instead of this cover. Just couldn't find that post. I think it was 2018 when they replaced the drawer with the cover.

Along with one horn (and who knows what else) Ford eliminated the drawer and slapped an access cover (just pull to remove) in that space at some point in the Gen2 run (I'll go with Omar's 2018).  The good news is that opening is completely unchanged year to year so, yep, a drawer from a '15-'17 you can probably find at an auto wrecking yard will pop right in. 

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

Along with one horn (and who knows what else) Ford eliminated the drawer and slapped an access cover (just pull to remove) in that space at some point in the Gen2 run (I'll go with Omar's 2018).  The good news is that opening is completely unchanged year to year so, yep, a drawer from a '15-'17 you can probably find at an auto wrecking yard will pop right in. 

Cheers!

Yeah but will the drawer still fit in there?…especially with that fuse panel?

Claude.

27 minutes ago, 2FAST4U said:

Yeah but will the drawer still fit in there?…especially with that fuse panel?

It's hard to imagine Ford redesigning the wiring harness to move the fuse box but stranger things have happened I guess.  The photo below shows what's inside the opening with my drawer removed.  Compare it to later models with the cover to determine whether changes have been made  Keep in mind the drawer slopes down when it's closed, it isn't aimed straight back.

access.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 9/8/2019 at 8:27 AM, Gadgetjq said:

Cheers!

I am going to try and swap the little drawer from my 15 to my 19.  I was able to simply pull off the cover on my 19, but does anyone know how the drawer assembly comes out?

2 hours ago, JoeVic said:

I am going to try and swap the little drawer from my 15 to my 19.  I was able to simply pull off the cover on my 19, but does anyone know how the drawer assembly comes out?

Open the drawer then pull up on the drawer to unclip the bottom clips then pull the drawer back to unclip the uppers.

3 hours ago, JoeVic said:

Open the drawer then insert your right hand palm up.  With your fingers pressed against the top of the drawer assembly give a hard tug.  All the clips will release and you'll have the whole assembly in your hand.

1 hour ago, 2FAST4U said:

won't the drawer interfere with all the stuff that's already in there?

Pull your access door and take a look.  The drawer was included for 2015 through 2017 and possibly 2018 so, unless something was added back there interference won't be an issue.  If you see a wire or harness give it a little push to see if it can be moved out of the way.

• 2 months later...
On 10/30/2019 at 5:33 PM, Gadgetjq said:

Pull your access door and take a look.  The drawer was included for 2015 through 2017 and possibly 2018 so, unless something was added back there interference won't be an issue.  If you see a wire or harness give it a little push to see if it can be moved out of the way.

Yes, my 2017 has the fleece lined drawer, but have never used it.

IMG_4794.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
42 minutes ago, Skatematt said:

Where did you get this bin? I would like to make this empty space useful. 

I'd try local auto salvage first (looking for a '15-'18 Edge) and if that doesn't work out hit the online vendors like https://www.car-part.com/

As already discussed the drawer looks like the photo (below) and just snaps right into the area your panel occupies.  Use a coin holder (also discussed earlier with links) to hold your small change.

drawer.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally swapped my useless "fuse box door" for a drawer from a 2015 -'18. In one of my previous posts, I explained that I was concerned that the drawer might interfere with some components behind the dash but no, it did fit perfectly . :thumbsup:

Claude.;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Anyone have that part name/number for the little drawer, as I'd like to add that to my 2019? EDIT : It's called the Stowage Box and part 46441 from what I see online. It's like $120 and up - anyone got a black one they wanna part with? :)

Also any measurements as to how big it is on the inside?

Edited by IcyFridge

5 hours ago, IcyFridge said:

Anyone have that part name/number for the little drawer, as I'd like to add that to my 2019? EDIT : It's called the Stowage Box and part 46441 from what I see online. It's like $120 and up - anyone got a black one they wanna part with? :)

Also any measurements as to how big it is on the inside?

Storage Box - Ford (FK7Z-5813546-AB)

Your best option is to look for used ones in salvage yards.