What oil do you all recommend or use?

Scott'sSEL

Have a 2013 SEL 3.5 with about 110,000 MI, I bought it with about 89,000 miles, it was always serviced at the dealer, with Motorcraft synthetic blend. I use that for the first couple oil changes, then I switched over to Valvoline Maxlife, I've been considering switching over to a synthetic. I don't drive much, maybe 5,000 mi a year. If that. Mostly around town driving, occasionally make some long distance trips with it.. but I always change my oil twice a year. What do you guys recommend in the way of oil. If it wasn't for this internal water pump I would probably stay with what I have been using.  Thanks ?

personally, first and foremost, step up viscosity to 5W30.  then full synthetic. you would be fine even with Supertech (WalMart) oil as it is made by Warren Distributing.  SP rated oil is much sturdier base stock than SN rated oil, so that is what I would use, despite the Ca/Mg ratios being moved about (to benefit boosted engines). 

MACT's testing on SN rated oils and some gear lubes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gEMTa3YOBIYBTYiaEhQLfooPohN_l645z1DaWRuFzC0/

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 in the 2.7 Ecoboost

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 in the 5.0 Coyote

Pennzoil Platinum in 5W-30 in the 2.4 Malibu, lawnmower, snow thrower etc.

Good products and always readily available and on sale in this area.

In the past I used Amsoil Signature Series oil which is also a very good product. Boutique pricing and availability are the main detractors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

personally, first and foremost, step up viscosity to 5W30.  then full synthetic. you would be fine even with Supertech (WalMart) oil as it is made by Warren Distributing.  SP rated oil is much sturdier base stock than SN rated oil, so that is what I would use, despite the Ca/Mg ratios being moved about (to benefit boosted engines). 

MACT's testing on SN rated oils and some gear lubes:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gEMTa3YOBIYBTYiaEhQLfooPohN_l645z1DaWRuFzC0/

I'm not cool on running Walmart oil. Do you all recommend running, high mileage synthetic? What is the big difference between Pennzoil ultra Platinum and Pennzoil Platinum?

38 minutes ago, Scott'sSEL said:

I'm not cool on running Walmart oil. Do you all recommend running, high mileage synthetic? What is the big difference between Pennzoil ultra Platinum and Pennzoil Platinum?

It has a more robust additive package tailored for higher performance motors. The regular Platinum is more than adequate for your application.