How much of the tech in your Edge do you actually use?

After posting about the poor performance of the rain sensing wipers on my Edge, i got to thinking about some of the other features that i was excited to get when i traded my 2016 Ti for my 2020 ST. Just wondering out loud here about how many other people have similar feelings about the tech in their cars.

1. rain sensing wipers - as per my other post, they don't wipe often enough in light rain even at the highest sensitivity setting. i'll probably turn off this feature if i cannot increase the sensitivity.

2. auto-high beam - the road to the town where i live is very hilly and very curvy. if i have the headlights on auto high beam, they take far too long to turn off the high beams when another car comes within view. again, i'll probably just turn off this feature since it doesn't really work in my experience.

3. adaptive cruise control - i find the acceleration and deceleration/braking on the adaptive setting to be too aggressive. doesn't matter what distance i have it set to. whereas i can see the cars braking far ahead and just lift off the gas to gently slow down, the ACC just keeps barreling down the road and then brakes heavily when i reach the slowing cars. it's not smooth. the distance setting just changes when the car brakes, not how aggressively. i find myself using this feature less often than i anticipated. this is on a very busy two lane (one each direction) highway.

4. self-parking - i knew i wouldn't like this feature and i was right. i find that i can parallel park the car better and faster myself than it can. i never back into a side-by-side space so that feature is wasted. when i tested that feature, it seemed to take forever compared to me just doing it myself.

how do you feel about the features i've mentioned above? do you share my point of view or do you think they are wondeful? am i doing something wrong? i'm just curious and wanted to get other people's opinions.

OK gen 1 features here ...

1-rain sensing wipers: rain on windshield, click, wipe. Done.

2-auto high beam: no problem, I drive with my high beams always on. Oncoming drivers flash, click, low beams. 

3-adaptive cruise control: get too close, hit - del and slow down. Don't need a computer telling me how close to follow. I'm old, I leave 1/4 mile clearance just to be safe. Until some prick tries to get between me and the car ahead. Then it's war. 

4-self parking: works ok inasmuch as I'm the self. In high school they taught us to parallel park on a hill. 

5-Sync, can't remember the commands and syntax. Glad they used knobs and switches. Not a fan of display menus. Have to take eyes off road too much.

6-Adaptive headlights, love em

7-AdvanceTrec, good in winter, but extends stopping distance

8-heated/cooled seats, yes, yes, yes

9-autopilot advanced driver-assistance system, doesn't work very well in gen-1, constantly have to monitor and correct, makes it difficult to watch a movie on long trip. 

10-automatic vehicle restructuring, you know, when the car's computers decide that your seat would be better if it automatically reset itself all the way forward, or how much fun it would be it the engine were set into limp mode and you can only drive at 20 mph, or it turns on the service engine soon light and invents a bigus code just to screw with the technician. 

9 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

3-adaptive cruise control: get too close, hit - del and slow down. Don't need a computer telling me how close to follow. I'm old, I leave 1/4 mile clearance just to be safe. Until some prick tries to get between me and the car ahead. Then it's war. 

yeah.. this is me. 

I don't like to follow too close for safe stopping buffer, but if i leave a reasonable safety gap some ass always drops in and pisses me off

I really want a 'look to aim' paintball machine gun on my hood

1 rain sense wipers - i use rain-x and use the wipers as little as possible, so usually they are off unless needed

2 auto high beam - always on except in foggy conditions. i like the feature

3 adaptive cruise makes commuting easier and less stressful- i like it

4 self park- i never use it. tested it once. thats it

5 sync.. never really use it.

6 heated and A/C seats, definite fan of this

7 lane assist - somewhat helpful if you are on a long road trip and getting punchy while looking for a rest stop. but it works poorly and will kill you if you rely on it..

On 10/13/2021 at 4:53 AM, Cerberus said:

I really want a 'look to aim' paintball machine gun on my hood

Oogh, oogh, oogh (as officer Toody would say on Car 54, Where Are You) I love this idea. (Evil grin, hands rubbing in glazed look).

I came up with a device to get tailgaters off my tale (but never got around to implementing it). Set up a plastic container with brake fluid in it. Using a windshield wiper pump to pump the break fluid out on to the drivers rear tire. The spray will get picked up by the tire and coat the windshield of the car behind you. (Car must be close or it won't work). Once he sees the drops on his windshield, he'll turn on his wipers and washers. And that's it. Once the brake fluid gets mixed with water, it turns into a sticky goo and makes the glass blury. He has no choice but to back off, stop and clean his windshield. (As I said, thought it up but never actually tried it. But it's tempting....).

Anyway, Rain-x is good, but doesn't last nearly long enough. Found a "much" better way that keeps windshield clean and slippery. Good as and better than Rain-x. Here's what I do;

1) Clean windshield with Windex and a microfiber towel. Clean one side then the other.

2) Next clean the glass with degreaser. (I use Simple Green).

3) Follow with clay bar and warm water.

(I use Mothers Clay Bar System).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002U2V1Y/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_FP0ZEF9HS75TDPC144Q3

If you've never used a clay bar to clean the surface; here's how:

Wet the glass (your can't use too much lube) and wipe the glass first in an up and down motion, then in  a circular motion. Whenever the clay sticks or hangs (there is a contaminate on the glass), continue to rub that spot until the clay slides smoothly. (The clay will loosen additional dirt embedded in the pores of the glass).

4) Clean the glass again with Windex and a new microfiber rowel.

5) Dry the windshield with a microfiber towel.

6) Apply a thin layer of good quality carnauba Wax (Collinite 476 is the most long lasting).

example:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002P3ZO2E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_i06EAbZDVS70X

Glass should look frosted when applied properly. Allow five minutes or more to dry properly. Test by running finger through wax. If finger smudge is clear & pushes up a small ridge of wax at the top of the finger smudge, the wax is dry and ready to buff off. If the glass is not completely clear and clean in the finger smudge,  the wax is not ready yet.

7) When the wax is dry, buff off Wax with a clean microfiber towel using a circular motion.

? Finish "buff" the glass using a fresh, clean finishing microfiber towel. Use circular motions, followed by up & down parrern to finish.

9) Finally finish by cleaning the wiper blades using Windex and a microfiber towel. Follow this by applying a coating of 303 Protectant. Spray on,  leave set, and wipe excess  off with microfiber towel. 

First time I did this, windshield lasted for several months. Wiper blades on fifth year. Glass is super clear. 

In cleaning the inside, I've used this method:

1) Apply some rubbing alcohol on a microfiber towel and wipe the inside of the windshield in a circular motion, to remove any grease, oil or polymers from the glass. (The problem with the inside windshield is that it's coated with polymers evaporating off of the instrument cluster and interior).

2) spray Windex on another microfiber towel (not on the glass) and wipe in a circular motion. 

3) using another microfiber towel completely dry glass. Overwipe to remove all traces of the glass cleaner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Anyway, Rain-x is good, but doesn't last nearly long enough. Found a "much" better way that keeps windshield clean and slippery. Good as and better than Rain-x. Here's what I do;

I used the rain-x washer fluid so it retreats every time i hit the washer button..

its a million times easier than your process i think.

I respect your attention to detail and diligence to have such an involved and comprehensive procedure, but i tend to lack the patience for some things..

especially when there is an effective simple alternative.

interesting though, the bit about polymers evaporating off the cluster and interior. I always wondered about that, why the inside gets a film on it..

i mean, i don't smoke.. and I don't have a heater core or evaporator leak as far as i know, so what the hell? 

question answered.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, The Blue Wedge said:

My Edge has no real "tech"

No tech? Seriously?

you obviously have never driven a car from the '60s.

ABS, airbags, traction/stability control, electric door locks, remote key lock and start, CD/MP3 player, satellite radio, fuel injection, and so on. those things are  technological developments. what i was referring to in my OP is the latest tech stuff like LED headlights, cameras that keep the car in the lane, radar that keeps the distance from the car in front while cruise control keeps the speed. sensors that turn on the headlights when it gets dark and windshield wipers when it rains. all that stuff is pretty sophisticated technology. I can talk to my car and it will guide me to my destination, tell me what time the store i'm going to closes, and alter my route if there's an accident.

I grew up driving old junkyard cars from the 50's and 60's and 70's  Dumptrucks, wheel loaders, tow trucks in the 70's, was driving these vehicles before I  had a license. Then drove for a living for over 40 years, variety of semi's, straight trucks, so to your point about the actual driving, I like to leave nannies off! Don't need them, don't want them. LED, HID lighting, yes that sure beats sealed beams and incandescent bulbs!  The other stuff like; the camera's for lane-keeping, lol, on the wife's new Explorer we leave it off! auto headlights, and wipers? we can somehow manage to turn them on ourselves, ( and prefer it that way) All I need then is the best ABS system the manufacturers can produce, decent headlights, and taillights, and a decent AWD system, rear-wheel-drive based, (which the Edge is not) 

I've only had my Edge since the spring so I cant speak for any winter driving yet, The navigation gets me to where I have to go I just need to give myself a few extra minutes putting in my destination. Not really any worse than my old Garmin.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 No complaints about the stereo or bluetooth. Climate controls I'm also better off setting up before hand since the steering wheel controls are lacking there.

Main gripe if you can call it that is the colors on the right hand display screen, If I choose the sound system it's distracting to see the color red coming from the dashboard when I'm eyeballing the road.

Edited by hlg013
format is afu

• 4 weeks later...

I'm with the no real tech (no modern tech)

2017 SEL

Rain sensing wipers: Don' have.

Auto high beam: Don't have. 

Adaptive cruise control: Don't have

Lane Assist: Don't have

Self parking: Don't have

Adaptive headlights: Don't have

Heated/cooled seats: Don't have

Autopilot advanced driver-assistance system: Don't Have

Paddle Shifters: Abuse the #@$$ out of them. The Edge is a Manual Trans, don't you know.. :)

Sync: Don't use

Sirius: have't listened to FM in a long time

Auto Headlights: I don't turn on headlights anymore.

AdvanceTrec: Stays on except in the Snow for playing it gets turned off

Backup Camera: Yes I use the 2.5" camera

Edited by FX3

Interesting.

I've had my Edge now for nearly a year, so have had opportunity to try out most of its gadgetry.

• Rain sensing wipers : Use, but often need to override if not responding quick enough.
  • Auto high beam : This doesn't work well enough to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic, so is switched off.
  • Adaptive cruise control : Very useful if you have an endorsed driving licence and are driving on motorways with average speed control cameras.
  • Lane Assist : Always on. I find the little nudge quite useful.
  • Active Park Assist : Not worth using. Takes far too long to set up and find a space large enough. Eyes work better. 
  • Adaptive headlights : Always on. It works better than it did on my old Mondeo.
  • Heated/cooled seats : Love them. Will often use the heated seats for short journeys in lieu of cranking the heating up.
  • Autopilot advanced driver-assistance system : I think the warning lights for when you are driving too close are really useful. The pre-collision alert seems a bit over sensitive though. It seems to go off when cars are still a long way away!
  • Paddle shifters : What's the point? If I wanted a manual Edge I would have bought one!
  • Sync : I don't see how you can't use this? Mind you, I don't think Sync 3 is as good as Sync 1 & 2, especially when it comes to playing any of my iPods.
  • Sirius : I have no idea. What is it?
  • Auto Headlights : I always have the headlamps on auto. They seem to work really well.
  • AdvanceTrac : Always on. I'm not aware of any situation where it would need to be turned off.
  • Front wide-view camera : Not fitted.
  • Rear view camera : Useful, but still rely more on the rear-view mirrors.
  • Hands free tailgate : I will only use this if I really don't have either hand available. Sometimes you can be waving your leg about all over the place before the sensor activates!
  • 10-way power seats : The memory function is useful but sometimes too easy to accidently over-write the stored settings with the current setting.
  • Traffic sign recognition : A useful feature, helps save your licence.
  • 240v socket outlet in centre console : Of limited use. Only time I have used it was for my laptop mains plug when I wanted to use Forscan. Otherwise it always has a 5v USB converter plugged in for rear passengers' phones etc. 
  • Panoramic roof : Blind is usually always open to let lots of light in. On hot days I will often open up the glass roof rather than using the air-con.
  • Parking sensors : Useful, but I wish they could be adjusted so that they only sound continuously at a much smaller distance. They aren't that helpful if they are already going off continuously with more than 6 inches to spare when driving the car through small gaps or passing cars on narrow lanes.
  • Heated front windscreen : Doesn't stay on long enough. I'm constantly turning it back on again!
Edited by niceonept

57 minutes ago, niceonept said:

Active Park Assist : Not worth using. Takes far too long to set up and find a space large enough. Eyes work better. 

I have learned that they are always scanning, so even if you happen to just pass a suitable spot before pressing the button, the system will still indicate that it found this spot as soon as you press the button and will park you in it. So you don't have to always press the button to start searching for a spot.

1 hour ago, omar302 said:

I have learned that they are always scanning, so even if you happen to just pass a suitable spot before pressing the button, the system will still indicate that it found this spot as soon as you press the button and will park you in it. So you don't have to always press the button to start searching for a spot.

Thanks that's handy to know Omar. It's just finding the button down there, pressing it the requisite number of times and putting the indicator on all the while there's some impatient person driving far too close up behind you makes it all rather difficult sometimes.

That, and the fact parking spaces in UK car parks are now all too small for our 21st century cars! 

Edited by niceonept