Windshield Replacement

On Monday a stone chipped my windshield and this morning Safelite came to my work place to do the chip repair.

The Tech had issues with his equipment and the end result is it now looks worse than it did before his repair attempt, and because you only get on shot at the repair it now needs a new windshield.

I spoke with the dealership service manager and he said that Safelite have done windshield replacements and performed the required calibrations etc.

Safelite tell me that there's no deductible in Kentucky.

Tomorrow I'll make an appointment for them to order the replacement and schedule the installation.

Anything I should watch for with this job?

Attached photo is the damage after the repair attempt.

IMG_9728.JPG

IMG_9730.JPG

9 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Anything I should watch for with this job?

If you have the Lane Keep Assist/ Warning, then it should need calibration, ForScan can do it.

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure the replacement windshield is with the sound insulation like the original. Some replacements are regular laminated without the extra sound insulation. 

• Like 1

The additional details in the 2019-2023 procedure are preferred, I would say...

2015-2018 Edge Workshop Manual (Procedure revision date: 04/20/2015)

Camera Alignment

Camera alignment is required for the lane keeping alert and lane keeping aid to function correctly. The procedure is initiated using the scan tool and requires about 10 minutes of driving above 64 km/h (40 mph) to complete. If the alignment is unsuccessful, check the interior mirror for proper installation. The IPMA camera alignment procedure should be performed when any of the following occur:

• Windshield replacement
  • Change in tire size
  • Suspension repair, alignment or modifications
  • Front air bag deployment
  • Interior mirror replacement

Document download link> Lane-Keeping System - System Operation and Component Description - 2017 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

2019-2023 Edge Workshop Manual (Procedure revision date: 04/16/2021)

Camera Alignment

Camera alignment is required for the lane keeping alert and lane keeping aid to function correctly. The procedure is initiated using the diagnostic scan tool and requires about 10 minutes of driving above 64 km/h (40 mph) on a flat, straight road with highly visible lane markings to complete.

NOTE: The alignment completion is indicated on the diagnostic scan tool. If the alignment is unsuccessful, check the IPMA for proper installation.

NOTE: The FRONT CAMERA MALFUNCTION - SERVICE REQUIRED message in the IPC disappears when the system is aligned.

The IPMA camera alignment procedure should be performed when any of the following occur:

• Windshield replacement
  • Change in tire size
  • Suspension repair or alignment
  • Front air bag deployment

Document download link> Lane-Keeping System - System Operation and Component Description - 2019 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

While I suspect the Safelite technician will have a corporate alignment procedure, you're at least equipped to amend with Ford guidance if required.

Likewise, the Safelite technician may already have a preferred alignment Drive Cycle path, though you might also enjoy being prepared with a proper straightaway...

From CalculatorSoup (page link)

image.png.2004cf9a56677fd3871efa6e55dbbf61.png

Good luck!

Edited by Haz
  • Like 3

Safelite replaced my windshield today and did a great job.

The only trim removed was the plastic cover at the bottom edge of the windshield.

The spec label on the lower right corner is exactly the same as the original windshield.

They took it for a 10 minute drive with their calibration device - I never use the lane guidance but tried it on the drive home and it works as it always has.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few days after the windshield install I went through the car wash and when I got home I saw a little water on the drivers side mat, so went through the car was again this afternoon checking the mats are all dry before - I have a leak.

Will call tomorrow to schedule the fix - wonder if it means removal to reseal.

IMG_9793.JPG

• Sad 1

On 5/11/2023 at 7:05 PM, 1004ron said:

Will call tomorrow to schedule the fix - wonder if it means removal to reseal.

Probably not. I had a windshield leak     after replacment, glass company applied extra sealant where needed. Five minute job.

Did you have to pay for the windshield? Can you share the price? (Curious about what a modern windshield costs now).

Edited by enigma-2

2 hours ago, enigma-2 said:

Probably not. I had a windshield leak     after replacment, glass company applied extra sealant where needed. Five minute job.

Did you have to pay for the windshield? Can you share the price? (Curious about what a modern windshield costs now).

I stopped in at their shop on Friday and the identified an error made by the installation tech - they confirmed that the windshield will be removed and didn't do so on Friday because they didn't have stock of mine - the senior tech says that they usually install a complete new one because during removal it often breaks and the time to clean the sealant off the old one also makes it cost effective to use a new one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have had a few windshields replaced by Safelite and never had any issues.  I had a piece of rubber pull up on a car I didn't even have any windshield stuff done (just old and not properly installed by a previous job).  They pulled the car into the garage, and fixed it for nothing.  So good stuff from my experiences anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this windshield saga was behind me - been through the car wash twice and this mornings drive to work in the rain and no leaks.

This afternoon while in the drive through line at Jaggers I noticed a distortion in the glass on the lower left corner and when I got home and took a closer look its most definitely a flaw in the glass and there's about a softball sized area that shows signs of buffing.

Must be a factory reject.

Back on the phone to Safelite in the morning.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, enigma-2 said:

They honoring the warranty?

Yes, the second warranty replacement windshield is scheduled for installation on 6/21 at 3pm.

I've remained cordial with them and they have been very pleasant to deal with.

Its really puzzling me how this came to be - I can't imagine the factory would sell "seconds".

• 2 weeks later...

I just had my windshield assaulted by a rock the size of a boulder, well it sounded like one when it hit. The impact created a 3/4 non complete circle about the size of a silver dollar with the actual impact area pitted @ the center. I suspected that it was not repairable and that was confirmed by the glass shop. The impact area is high on the left side of the windshield about 2" below the roof line. I was wondering what would be involved in replacing my windshield and this thread does not make me feel "warm & fuzzy" about that operation. I am going to leave it be for the time being and see if the the impact defect will grow with summer thermal cycles as I expect it to. I put a clear adhesive film over the impact area to try to keep moisture out and will most likely have to replace the windshield come my next state inspection due next April, if not sooner. I can only hope my replacement experience goes smoother than the example discussed here. I guess I need to congratulate the SOB cutting the grass in his driveway with the discharge chute pointed into traffic of a major thoroughfare for this issue. Good shot Dude!  :>(

Edited by Chipster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My third windshield is scheduled for installation at 3pm tomorrow - I'll report back how that goes.

The install of the current windshield is good, just that I'm not prepared to live with what appears to be a factory second.

Talking of Dicks and lawnmowers - I use my bike for my work commute in good weather and one afternoon I came around a fairly sharp curve to find a SOB had laid a thick bed of grass cuttings on the road - caused some sphincter pucker but got through it safely.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 2

Ron; Do you have any idea as to the change procedure used for a windshield R & R? What I mean is; Are the wipers removed, and given the close proximity of the windshield edges to the body (flush) did you see any marks, scrapes on the body as a result of the replacements? What about the plastic on the bottom near the cowl, is it removed too? Thanks.

• Like 1

The wipers are removed to lift the plastic trim that runs across the top edge of the bulkhead.

I don't see any body damage.

For today's install I cannot find any fault with the glass, but notice that the plastic trim between the top edge of the windshield and the moon roof was raised in one spot - I lifted it slightly and could see one of the white nylon clips is loose and obviously not letting the trim go down all the way.

I'm going to do a search to see how to lift that trim piece and correct the one clip - will go through the files @Haz posted.

Edit: I can't see why they would need to lift this trim piece.

Tomorrow's a bike day, so will take it through the car wash on Friday and if its leak free I'm done with Safelite - if there's an issue I'll be in touch with my insurance to see how I can get this job done by another supplier.

I do not recommend Safelite.

Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 6.11.39 PM.png

IMG_9895 2.jpg

Edited by 1004ron