Brushless radiator fan

Nick Halstead

25 minutes ago, akirby said:

The advantages of a brushless motor over brushed motors are high power to weight ratio, high speed, and electronic control.

Thanks for the info. Another question. How does that benefit the radiator and more importantly the brakes?

Edited by onyxbfly

15 minutes ago, Perblue said:

It doesn't help the brakes but it helps with cooling. A brushless fan has high torque to weight ratio, more torque per watt (increased efficiency), spin faster, increased reliability, reduced noise and lasts longer.

That makes sense. I can see how the brushless fan would increase cooling efficiency. 

• 4 years later...

Regarding the brushless radiator fan which is included in the performance brake and tire package. The only thing I can figure is because it is more efficient, they can run it more often resulting in more constant air flow in the engine compartment and around the brake area of the wheels?? There must be a reason it is part of the package.

2 hours ago, STBEAST said:

Regarding the brushless radiator fan which is included in the performance brake and tire package. The only thing I can figure is because it is more efficient, they can run it more often resulting in more constant air flow in the engine compartment and around the brake area of the wheels?? There must be a reason it is part of the package.

I'll add one more question, is it a simple replacement upgrade to the regular one? 

Checking on Tasca Parts, I can only find one part number for all Edge models/trims, 2015 to 2023. https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-engine-cooling-fan-assembly-f2gz8c607e

There is also one that is listed as a few things, w hot weather group (available in some countries), and with towing (which the ST has) https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/climate-control/ac-repair-parts/engine-cooling-fan-motor-and-fan-p-rf318?pdp=y which is part number and engineering number  Part #: RF318 (F2GZ8C607A) (A suffix versus E). Since they all have towing, I guess that is the standard ST and not the brushless one? Or maybe it is?

To supplement dabangsta's findings, I pulled Historical Vehicle Bill of Material (HVBoM) reports on 2022 & 2024 ST Performance Brake Package Edges and both confirm the Ford and Motorcraft part numbers...

289341258_CoolingFansAssembly-MotorcraftRF318FordF2GZ8C607A-20222024EdgeSTwHi-PerBrakesPkg-HVBoM.thumb.jpg.0b4857c14aadb6ebc9885f8318078c10.jpg

Similarly, those same part numbers are reflected on the FordParts website in reply to the same 2022 & 2024 ST Performance Brake Package Edge VINs...

842301952_CoolingFansAssembly-MotorcraftRF318FordF2GZ8C607A-FordParts_com.thumb.jpg.67af7b18da9ced8dcdd991bed1de8d3c.jpg

Document download links>

Cooling Fan Motor and Shroud - Removal and Installation - 2.7L EcoBoost - 2022-2024 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Cooling Module - Removal and Installation - 2.7L EcoBoost - 2022-2024 Edge Workshop Manual.pdf

Good luck!

• Like 2