New Tires...any recomendations

areohen

I will be replacing the original tires (Hankook P235/65TR17.0) on my 08 Edge shortly and wonder if you have any suggestions on what to get or what not to get. I live in upstate NY so it will need to be an all season tire to handle the endless winter months.

I don't mind spending more for a better tire than the OE. Thanks for the help!

Hello,

I would recommend some Cooper Discover HT's. We put them on our first 07 edge and they were a MAJOR upgrade from the Hanjunks that came OE. They were alot cheaper in price than the other manufacturers and they come with roadside warranty where others charge extra for it. Now we have an 08 Edge Limited with the 20s on it with Pirellis scorpion tires.I really like them alot. Not sure if Pirelli makes tires in your size but i would also recommend them also. Good luck!!

I will be replacing the original tires (Hankook P235/65TR17.0) on my 08 Edge shortly and wonder if you have any suggestions on what to get or what not to get. I live in upstate NY so it will need to be an all season tire to handle the endless winter months.

Edited by kiese02

It is worth noting that there are two Michelin Latitude Tours on tirerack. The more expensive is the Latitude Tour HP, which is said to be OE for 2010 Edge. The difference is in the treadwear rating which is 420 against 680.

In earlly roadtests of the Edge it was criticised for poor braking performance, and the blame was put on the tires, Continentals with a treadwear rating of.....you guessed it........680! I have these on my 07 and they are crap. If I lived in Seattle i would have changed them as the wet grip is very poor. In Naples I can live with them due much dry weather.

So if it was me, and I wanted the best and safest tire, I'd choose the softer compound HP. At least be aware there's a choice.

just my 2 cents

It is worth noting that there are two Michelin Latitude Tours on tirerack. The more expensive is the Latitude Tour HP, which is said to be OE for 2010 Edge. The difference is in the treadwear rating which is 420 against 680.

In earlly roadtests of the Edge it was criticised for poor braking performance, and the blame was put on the tires, Continentals with a treadwear rating of.....you guessed it........680! I have these on my 07 and they are crap. If I lived in Seattle i would have changed them as the wet grip is very poor. In Naples I can live with them due much dry weather.

So if it was me, and I wanted the best and safest tire, I'd choose the softer compound HP. At least be aware there's a choice.

just my 2 cents

thanks for the input. we're about to get new tires and i was going to go w/ the Conti's again. they weren't the best, but not the worst. i never even gave them a second thought about them causing the poor braking, but will definately choose a different tire next time. for such a high treadwear rating i thought they should have gotten over 30K miles.

I'm Areohen and I posted the original query about tires. Here's what happened....I did a lot of research on TireRack.com and decided to get a set of Goodyear Fortera Triple Track tires. But guess what? None available through the local Goodyear dealers and TireRack had only two in stock. After waiting for a couple of weeks with the status unchanged I went to the local Michelin dealer and purchased a set of Lattitude Tour HPs.

It's only been a couple of days so far and I couldn't be happier! A great improvement over the OE Hankooks, for sure. The Michelin's run much quieter, give a softer ride and the Edge handles corners much better on both wet and dry roads. A big thank you to all who recommended the Michelins and to the long faced Goodyear man, sorry man.

Edited by areohen

My 2010 AWD Limited indeed came with the Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires (Treadwear 440, Traction A, Temperature A).

I can atest to their traction rating as I live in the land of ice and snow :-)

Seems that good traction is synonymous with a higher rate of treadwear. A softer compound wears quicker but provides better traction. A small price to pay for a safer ride.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been driving on the Michelin's that came with the car, they are great. Quiet and smooth, remember the Edge is 4500lbs and if you want to carve

the corners buy a sports car. My Daily driver is a Honda S2000. I think IMO I have the best of BOTH worlds.

Anyone in the southern California area I have my wheels and tire FS complete bolt on, a little more than stock

and dont like the chrome clad hub caps. Selling my SEL 18" chromes and tire complete. Look in Classifieds

Shipping has been a P.I.T.A. of other items I've sold to others. Wheels and tire could be the worst to ship

I dont see any way to keep it from getting damaged

Edited by Picturepro

My edge has a hodge podge of tires.. I bought it used and it had cooper discovery hts on it. Replaced 2 of those immediately due to wear with maxxis bravo h/ts .. I like these better than the coopers as they are super quiet. Then I had my tires rotated at the dealer and of course an unfixable nail puncture was found. All they had was hankook so I now have 2 of those on the back and the maxxis on the front. The hankooks don't seem as bad as everyone says. I think some of it is just the fact of new vs older tires.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Conti's on my 2007 Edge with 30,000 miles. The tires have plenty of tread left but they are very noisy and getting worse day by day. I would never buy these tires. Only way to go is Michlin LT's