emergency flasher poorly placed

stevebrown1950

I think you should take it back immediately if you're that unhappy with it that you had to create 3 separate topics.

-------------------

yeh, guess i came off pretty pissy. Oh, and the leather seats are hard. Oops, that's 4.

Ā 

Actually I just want it to be a good as the Ford Fusion which I believe has brought the Ford reputation up by a mile!

First of all, the leather seats aren't hard at all. Maybe your ass is hard?

Ā 

Secondly, it may not be the best possible place for the hazards, but it's not exactly easy to activate them, theres a delay of about 1.5 seconds, so you have to hold your finger there for that long to turn them on. You'll learn to work around it, in the mean time, calm down and don't spam this forum over something so silly.

Edited by codyyfz

First of all, the leather seats aren't hard at all. Maybe your ass is hard?

Ā 

Secondly, it may not be the best possible place for the hazards, but it's not exactly easy to activate them, theres a delay of about 1.5 seconds, so you have to hold your finger there for that long to turn them on. You'll learn to work around it, in the mean time, calm down and don't spam this forum over something so silly.

Ā 

+1....

Ā 

I've had my Limited for two days now and have yet to accidentally turn on the hazard flasher. I've heard some folks say that theirs turns on if they breathe on it.

Fortunately that hasn't been my experience.

On the subject of the seats - they are not hard at all. I turned in a leased 2007 SEL and let me to you those "were" hard. The leather in my 2011

is miles softer.

+1....

Ā 

I've had my Limited for two days now and have yet to accidentally turn on the hazard flasher. I've heard some folks say that theirs turns on if they breathe on it.

Fortunately that hasn't been my experience.

On the subject of the seats - they are not hard at all. I turned in a leased 2007 SEL and let me to you those "were" hard. The leather in my 2011

is miles softer.

I just love mine, comfortable seating, good amount of room, handles great and lots of techy features. I have had the problem with the flashers also, drove all the way home from the dealer with them on because I had not yet seen how to turn on or off. The problem is caused from resting your palm just below the screen when playing with the controls. Just have to break the habit of resting your palm there.

I just love mine, comfortable seating, good amount of room, handles great and lots of techy features. I have had the problem with the flashers also, drove all the way home from the dealer with them on because I had not yet seen how to turn on or off. The problem is caused from resting your palm just below the screen when playing with the controls. Just have to break the habit of resting your palm there.

Ā 

Ā 

Yep - I keep resting my palm too - I actually think it is pretty funny. - it is our own little habit breaker.

Yep - I keep resting my palm too - I actually think it is pretty funny. - it is our own little habit breaker.

Ā 

Happened 5 times on the test drive to my passenger as he played with the touch screen while I was driving. Small issue/design flaw to deal with and unfortunate you have to learn not to rest your palm where it would naturally rest to operate a touch screen.

Ā 

But still ordered a LTD despite this small annoyance!

Happened 5 times on the test drive to my passenger as he played with the touch screen while I was driving. Small issue/design flaw to deal with and unfortunate you have to learn not to rest your palm where it would naturally rest to operate a touch screen.

Ā 

Ā 

The emergency flasher problem has been mentioned ever since the very first reviewers got their hands on the car. Because it is a touch sensitive switch located exactly where one is likely to rest your hand while using the touch screen, it really IS a design flaw. Anyone know if there's a dedicated fuse for it? Maybe some kind of cover for it could be designed.

Ā 

Ā 

Update: I just today got my 2011 Edge. OMG I love this car.

Ā 

Odd thing: I tried to hit the flasher with my palm and could not do it easily. Not sure if the LTD (I test drove an SEL) has slightly deeper LCD screen (it seemed slightly more set back into the console than I remembered) but I could not get my palm to hit the flasher as I recalled int the test drive.

Ā 

So I retract this complaint and just love my new LTD more than I thought I would. Ford Edge 2011 FTW.

Ā 

A lot of cool little things I found that I missed test driving: Got to see ambient lighting at night (which strangely very cool!), the "little white strip light things" on the front bumper when you open the door, the "edge" etched in the turn signal lights on the front, the little "cubby/tunnel" thing to put stuff in under the center panel, the little clips for paper under the flip up, just to name a few.

Ā 

My only real complaint at this point is that the Bluetooth audio with my iphone 4 is not very solid: no images with contacts transfer, no album art, and cannot even browse/select content (it won't index). I will research on the forums....

Edited by xphile

Update: I just today got my 2011 Edge. OMG I love this car.

Ā 

Odd thing: I tried to hit the flasher with my palm and could not do it easily. Not sure if the LTD (I test drove an SEL) has slightly deeper LCD screen (it seemed slightly more set back into the console than I remembered) but I could not get my palm to hit the flasher as I recalled int the test drive.

Ā 

So I retract this complaint and just love my new LTD more than I thought I would. Ford Edge 2011 FTW.

Ā 

A lot of cool little things I found that I missed test driving: Got to see ambient lighting at night (which strangely very cool!), the "little white strip light things" on the front bumper when you open the door, the "edge" etched in the turn signal lights on the front, the little "cubby/tunnel" thing to put stuff in under the center panel, the little clips for paper under the flip up, just to name a few.

Ā 

My only real complaint at this point is that the Bluetooth audio with my iphone 4 is not very solid: no images with contacts transfer, no album art, and cannot even browse/select content (it won't index). I will research on the forums....

Ā 

I've had my Ltd. for a week and a half now and have yet to accidentally turn on the flashers too. Like you said it is slightly recessed but I also find that I have to hold my finger over it for lil over a second to activate it. I think it's great. On the iPhone4 issue I connect mine using the USB cable. It indexes and transfers album art. I can browse, ff, rev, and pause via the touchscreen. When I turn on the car the iPhone automatically syncs via BT for making or receiving calls. So I use BT for phone, USB for songs. I've had no luck with the iPhone contact photos though.

Edited by e-Mel

I noticed there was a 2nd printing of the Owner's Guide available. I am in the process of compiling differences between the 2nd and the 1st (you're welcome). So far, many have been minor. Some references to "Press" have been replaced by "Touch", stuff like that.

Ā 

On page 7, though I got a laugh about a new addition (my emphasis):

Ā 

ā€¢ (Hazard flasher): Touch to activate/deactivate the hazard flashers. When you are using the touchscreen system, be careful not to accidently activate the hazard flashers. For more information, refer to Hazard Flasher Control in the Roadside Emergencies chapter in your Owner Guide.

Ā 

:hysterical:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi..

Ā 

Like a few mentionned...

Ā 

I have had my 2011 sport for the last 2 weeks. i just don't understand this..I even have trouble turning it on !!! It's recessed...

It sure is not a problem worth writing about for me...Anyways, good luck for those who are stressed out about this.

Look..touch, feel, ..there is so much to like on this car.

Ā 

S

Edited by Stephen

Hi..

Ā 

Like a few mentionned...

Ā 

I have had my 2011 sport for the last 2 weeks. i just don't understand this..I even have trouble turning it on !!! It's recessed...

It sure is not a problem worth writing about for me...Anyways, good luck for those who are stressed out about this.

Look..touch, feel, ..there is so much to like on this car.

Ā 

S

Ā 

It is more of an annoyance then a stress related item. I am having less issues with the hazard flasher now that I am aware of the problem and don't rest my palm on the lower edge of the screen.

• 1 month later...

I've had my Ltd. for a week and a half now and have yet to accidentally turn on the flashers too. Like you said it is slightly recessed but I also find that I have to hold my finger over it for lil over a second to activate it. I think it's great. On the iPhone4 issue I connect mine using the USB cable. It indexes and transfers album art. I can browse, ff, rev, and pause via the touchscreen. When I turn on the car the iPhone automatically syncs via BT for making or receiving calls. So I use BT for phone, USB for songs. I've had no luck with the iPhone contact photos though.

Ā 

Ā 

I've hit the flasher about 3 times so far. Embarrassing!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after 2 weeks of ownership, it finally happened to me about three times in total now. I had a chuckle as I'd already read this topic link. The first time I accidentally hit the flashers, I couldn't get them to stop and had to pull over just to keep pushing the button. I guess in the panic I pushed too many times and they didn't turn off for what seemed like minutes but was probably only 30 secs.

The second time my techy pre-teen hit the flashers tending to the Touch screen and I was entering a highway on ramp at the time! Luckily I helped him get them off before merging onto the road.

I can see this happening in the future again!