MyFord Touch protective film?

superic911

Hello,

I'm an happy 2011 Limited owner since 6 weeks, so far I only experienced the GPS Miles vs KM voice issue. Playing a lot with all the car features, I found the central LCD really prone to finger 'stamp' especially visible in daylight and also had a concern about the long term durability of the screen since I could already see some really thin scratch (due to frequent wipe?) when direct sunlight blast the screen.

Browsing the Web for protective film that will fit the 8in central display, I found the NuShield DayView film and decided to give it a trial, there is my first observations:

First of all, NuShield have a custom screen that fit the Sync display perfectly. The film was ordered online directly from NuShield and received 5 days later in Canada (US Postage/no duties fee).

Installation was very easy, the film is fairly rigid witch help the installation and did not experience any trapped bubbles, first try / perfect fit.

Once installed, the NuShield is totally transparent, it give a more glossy look to the screen, the colors are brighter and look more 'solid', the direct sunlight readability is amazing, no more fade at all. The screen look more like an iPad than the actual 90's Palm look.... very classy and the added glossy doesn't interfere with readability at all. Colors enhancement also benefit at night. The NuShield website show demo pictures of film on an iPad that give a good example of the final look in the Edge.

The screen is also less prone to finger print and the rigidity of the film don't interfere with the touch screen experience, only drawback I found is the rainbow effect the film produce when I wear polarized sunglass.

So far I'm very happy with my purchase.

Hello,

I'm an happy 2011 Limited owner since 6 weeks, so far I only experienced the GPS Miles vs KM voice issue. Playing a lot with all the car features, I found the central LCD really prone to finger 'stamp' especially visible in daylight and also had a concern about the long term durability of the screen since I could already see some really thin scratch (due to frequent wipe?) when direct sunlight blast the screen.

Browsing the Web for protective film that will fit the 8in central display, I found the NuShield DayView film and decided to give it a trial, there is my first observations:

First of all, NuShield have a custom screen that fit the Sync display perfectly. The film was ordered online directly from NuShield and received 5 days later in Canada (US Postage/no duties fee).

Installation was very easy, the film is fairly rigid witch help the installation and did not experience any trapped bubbles, first try / perfect fit.

Once installed, the NuShield is totally transparent, it give a more glossy look to the screen, the colors are brighter and look more 'solid', the direct sunlight readability is amazing, no more fade at all. The screen look more like an iPad than the actual 90's Palm look.... very classy and the added glossy doesn't interfere with readability at all. Colors enhancement also benefit at night. The NuShield website show demo pictures of film on an iPad that give a good example of the final look in the Edge.

The screen is also less prone to finger print and the rigidity of the film don't interfere with the touch screen experience, only drawback I found is the rainbow effect the film produce when I wear polarized sunglass.

So far I'm very happy with my purchase.

Nice review. Thanks

I was thinking about some kind of shield to decrease the glare and finger prints. I had a film on my Camry's screen and loved it.

You say this one is glossy. Does it help to cut the glare when the sun is shining on it?

I looked on the website but didn't see a 2011 Edge option. can you provide the part number that you purchased?

Edited by wilsons66604

Hi,

Yes the protective film add a glossy finish but the film treatment (polarization??) offer a huge improvement in direct sun light, no more washed hard to see color, the glare is cut by 60-70%, contrast is increased too but you will still see some mirror effect.

The film is not available under the Edge category .. On the website, under order now by manufacturer, select Custom size product list (Green button), select Ford and Sync display 178 x108mm.

Regards.

Hi,

Yes the protective film add a glossy finish but the film treatment (polarization??) offer a huge improvement in direct sun light, no more washed hard to see color, the glare is cut by 60-70%, contrast is increased too but you will still see some mirror effect.

The film is not available under the Edge category .. On the website, under order now by manufacturer, select Custom size product list (Green button), select Ford and Sync display 178 x108mm.

Regards.

Thanks so much for this tip. I followed your instructions and ordered one.

I too had concern about the screen. When the sun hits it just right, with all the fingerprints, you can hardly see it.

Thanks again.

Hi,

Regards.

SOLD! my film is in the mail.

I don't wear polarized sunglasses so that "feature" will not cause an issue with me. :shades:

Hi,

Regards.

FYI

When you click on Custom Size Product List (green button) and select manufacturer Ford, the very first model listed is EDGE 2011.

The size for the 2011 Ford Edge is listed as being 174 x 104mm.

Further down on that same list is the SYNC Display 178 x 108mm.

Edited by e-Mel

I ordered and installed the Original 178X 108 size, the other was not available at ordering time.

I would say that both will fit the screen, the smaller one 174 X 104 (about 1/8 in smaller) will probably fill the exposed screen, the larger film goes under the plastic case (no visible demarcation at the edge of the screen).

I just got my DayVue film and rushed to install it while the sun was still shining.

I've installed film on all kinds of devices and was happy that this Installation was VERY simple and easy compared to others.

I cleaned my screen, used a piece of packing tape to peel the clear backing off and laid the film in place.

The 174x104 size was perfect. Just enough gap around the edges.

When trying to peel off the pink protective film on the front (I stuck packing tape to the pink film to help in peeling it off), I ended up pulling the DayVue film off my Touch screen. No problem putting it back on, just be careful to hold the film in place while peeling off the protective pink film.

That's it. It took me all of 30 seconds to install.

While I haven't had much time to use it, I have determined that fingerprints are hard to come by, colors are more vibrant, and the glare is decreased quite a bit.

I think everyone will be happy with the results. I am!

Check out my before and after pics

Edited by wilsons66604

Thanks for the discount code mleber; just ordered mine!

When my Edge arrived I noticed a small scratch on the screen, the dealership ordered a new one which was installed today. I decided to order a NuShield screen protector for the long term (i keep my vehicles for 10 + years). Thanks for the discount code.