2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

akirby

Can anyone let me know if this is the same for you? When you are in the home screen of sync, (the 4 quadrant thing) then press home again, and that brings up a menu of 3 options, Select the top one of a blank screen, (The second is the 4 quadrant thing, and the third is a menu style). When it loads, mine shows a Lincoln Logo instead of the Ford Logo.

Let me know if this is the same for you too.

BTW...

The rest of the system is still good except for the Ambient light being wrong, and the occasional reboot when using bluetooth stereo.

Thanks

Dan

Can anyone let me know if this is the same for you? When you are in the home screen of sync, (the 4 quadrant thing) then press home again, and that brings up a menu of 3 options, Select the top one of a blank screen, (The second is the 4 quadrant thing, and the third is a menu style). When it loads, mine shows a Lincoln Logo instead of the Ford Logo.

Let me know if this is the same for you too.

BTW...

The rest of the system is still good except for the Ambient light being wrong, and the occasional reboot when using bluetooth stereo.

Thanks

Dan

The top choice of the three can show a picture you load into MFT. When I got the recent update, my available pics foe the home screen disappeared and I get the Lincoln logo, too, even though I have an Edge. I just need to reload my pics

I have posted about this before and I know at least one other has had this problem, but I wanted to see if the big update fixed it.

When I hit the steering wheel volume button once, the volume ramps up by itself. I have to turn it down with the big knob. It is very intermittent and I try to get it to happen and video record it, but no luck

I had the big update two weeks ago and it just started happening again (2 x in two days) Before the update is was 4 or 5 times in 3 months.

Is anybody else having this problem? Have you taken it in and what has been done to fix it? Has the fix worked?

I had the Lincoln logo as well. Once I installed the latest update via USB it went away plus the remote engine start was corrected to the way it should be

I just installed th latest update via usb now, the logo is still there, and now my bluetooth audio stopped working all together again. I don't see how they are planning to run apps on this, if they can't even get the core parts to function correctly.

I just picked up my new Lincoln MKX 2011 and they updated the MyTouch system and it says Gen 2 V1.1.1 sometimes on Syncmyride website, and sometimes it has different data. It doesn't seem to be consistent what Syncmyride website says. Anyone have any clues?

I just picked up my new Lincoln MKX 2011 and they updated the MyTouch system and it says Gen 2 V1.1.1 sometimes on Syncmyride website, and sometimes it has different data. It doesn't seem to be consistent what Syncmyride website says. Anyone have any clues?

That website is not always accurate. I get the feeling that it's still evolving and hope that it will improve over time. This seems to me as new territory for Ford and it's dealers and there will be growing pains. Let's hope that they figure it out. Maybe they could hire some more techno-geeks and have the younger staff check the systems? My dealer admits that they are challenged with this new technology. :headscratch:

I'm ready to provide consulting services to those whom are techno challenged on Ford's support staff.

:bowdown:

Edited by netizenX

I get the feeling that it's still evolving and hope that it will improve over time. This seems to me as new territory for Ford and it's dealers and there will be growing pains.

MFT is new - it's a lot bigger and more complicated than Sync. But Sync and the syncmyride website has been around at least 3 years.

Ok, yesterday my MyLincoln Touch system, after being upgraded to G2 V1.1.1 at the dealership had a major meltdown yesterday. I mean the screen said Welcome New User, and then said System Fault, contact dealer. It eventually went away and started working but working is questionable, it is not quite acting right.

I wanted to try the Fuse 29 approach, but where is the fuse box? Is this the fuse box on the drivers side under the hood? I see a fuse 29 in there, but I didn't know if there was another fuse box somewhere.

Also, is it worth trying the master reset? will that help at all?

Ok, yesterday my MyLincoln Touch system, after being upgraded to G2 V1.1.1 at the dealership had a major meltdown yesterday. I mean the screen said Welcome New User, and then said System Fault, contact dealer. It eventually went away and started working but working is questionable, it is not quite acting right.

I wanted to try the Fuse 29 approach, but where is the fuse box? Is this the fuse box on the drivers side under the hood? I see a fuse 29 in there, but I didn't know if there was another fuse box somewhere.

Also, is it worth trying the master reset? will that help at all?

First , have you mentioned this to the dealership?

Then, check syncmyride.com and verify that the update was performed.

If it says gen 2 1.1.1 then try a master reset. If all else fails you can try fuse 29 (located to the left of driver's feet)

• Like 1

First , have you mentioned this to the dealership?

Then, check syncmyride.com and verify that the update was performed.

If it says gen 2 1.1.1 then try a master reset. If all else fails you can try fuse 29 (located to the left of driver's feet)

Syncmyride does say Gen 2 v1.1.1, so I will look by my drivers side feet to see if I can find fuse 29 or try a master reset.

Update: Well, it looks like doing a Master Reset has fixed my issues, at least for the time being.

Now I am seeing other odd things, for example, I have setup 2 Bluetooth phone connects, which worked, but then, I was unable to select the correct phone for Bluetooth Media Streaming as it claimed I was already connected to the phone I wanted which wasn't true, somehow the bluetooth connect for phone services was on one phone, and the bluetooth audio for media playback was set to the other, and I couldn't get it to let me switch both phone and audio to the one phone that was already connected for phone services... anyone have any clue?

Update #2: Well, sadly, it looks like the Master Reset fixed things for awhile, but things went wrong again after about 4 hours. I can't keep doing a master reset and then setting everything up again... I guess I will call the dealer and Ford Corporate to push on the issue... ugh.

Edited by louisk

Just to add here. Everything except the ambient lighting minor glitch has been working fine. I did try yesterday to check "Movie times" and it is now frozen with an hour glass. All other categories such as Sports are working fine. Any idea how to clear the movie entry so it can start over??

Just to update I was able to get the movie times/locations to work again. This seems to be an intermittent problem

Edited by tpm419419

I would like to report an update on my situation. Finally, after 10 days of driving a rental car, I got my 2011 Edge SEL back on Friday. I'm happy to report all is working well after they replaced the APIM module and loaded the latest software. They Bluetooth connectivity issue we had is gone and works great now, no issues pairing my wife's iphone 3Gs. Also, we do not seem to have the ambient light issue some have mentioned. I specifically checked, and all the colors are correct when selected. On another note, the system seems much faster, so I'm assuming the new APIM module has some faster hardware in it. Also, I noticed that we now have album artwork for our music, which we did not have before the upgrade, so that was a pleasant surprise. Overall, I'm very impressed with the performance of the system now that the APIM module has been replaced and upgraged with the latest software. I hope this helps encourage some of you. Good luck!

Took my 2011 Edge into the dealership on Monday. The Bluetooth functionality quit working all of the sudden on both mine and my wife's Iphones (3G and 3Gs models). It would not pair them after working fine for a few weeks, then all the sudden about a week ago it would not connect to either of them. We tried deleting the profiles on both our phones and the car, and re-pairing them, but Sync's bluetooth kept turning off and would not stay on. We would turn it on, then it would flash the pairing code for like 1 second then say "Pairing Failed" and then bluetooth would turn off again. This process would repeat every time, no matter what we did. I did the master reset, but it did not help. I finally pulled fuse 29 to reboot it, but it never rebooted and was dead. So now the dealership has it.

Day 1 at the dealership: My service advisor said she had not seen very many problems with the Sync systems. She later told me they did have one other vehicle with a problem, and it took several days to resolve it, and mine was the second one, so she hoped it would go smoother. The service tech did not start working on my car until late in the afternoon and aborted the upgrade process because it took too long and could not be completed before they closed for the day.

Day 2 at the dealership: They started the upgrade process, but it was going very slowly I was told. Late that afternoon, I was told they were going to replace the APIM module, which apparently fixed the problem with other vehicle they had in for Sync problems. I was given a rental car to use while they had my vehicle.

Day 3 at the dealership: They were told by Ford they could not order the replacement APIM Module until they completed certain tasks, so they were going to do that the following day.

Day 4 at the dealership: Still waiting for an update to see what the deal is.....

I feel like the grease monkey's who work as service techs are in over their heads with these new vehicles. If car manufacturers are going to continue increase the amount of tech in these new models they roll out every year, they need to seriously consider the education and skill sets of the techs they have working on them at their dealerships. The techs who can change the brake pads, oil, and rotate tires are not qualified or trained properly work on these high tech infotainment systems. It seems to me that dealerships are going to need to start hiring college grads to work as techs, otherwise they are setting themselves up for failure here.

My wife's Edge had the same problem. Bluetooth phones that had been working fine for 2 months stopped working, and you couldn't pair new phones. Took it to the dealer and they applied the latest software update. Everything's back to normal now. Phones pair again (and you can pair new phones without trouble). I don't know if there was any specific fix for this in the latest update, but if nothing else it seems to have rectified the problem. The dealer didn't swap out any hardware in this case.

Good luck with yours. I'm hoping this fix is real, and not just a reset that masks the underlying problem for another month or two...

The sound of Silence is gone!!

After 4+ weeks with a dead MFT, the dealership called and scheduled me to come in last Friday 01/07/11. They replaced the APIM module and upgraded the software to the 2nd generation version BE. It only took about 3 hours for them to call me after I dropped it off at 7am on Friday. So far everything appears to be working fine. Time will tell.

• Like 1

The sound of Silence is gone!!

After 4+ weeks with a dead MFT, the dealership called and scheduled me to come in last Friday 01/07/11. They replaced the APIM module and upgraded the software to the 2nd generation version BE. It only took about 3 hours for them to call me after I dropped it off at 7am on Friday. So far everything appears to be working fine. Time will tell.

Would you know if the new APIM module is the same as the one taken out or did Ford update it?

I just installed th latest update via usb now, the logo is still there, and now my bluetooth audio stopped working all together again. I don't see how they are planning to run apps on this, if they can't even get the core parts to function correctly.

Ok, a couple days after the update, and now my Bluetooth audio started working again.. not sure if there is some time right after the update while it has to do some work, but i remember the same thing happening after the dealer did an update. Now if they could fix the Lincoln Logo and the Ambient Light problem, this would fix all my problems.... Then they will probably introduce some more with the applink... lol

Beside all these little problems, I love the car.. I've accepted that the 3.7l will never get great gas mileage though.

Ok, a couple days after the update, and now my Bluetooth audio started working again.. not sure if there is some time right after the update while it has to do some work, but i remember the same thing happening after the dealer did an update. Now if they could fix the Lincoln Logo and the Ambient Light problem, this would fix all my problems.... Then they will probably introduce some more with the applink... lol

Beside all these little problems, I love the car.. I've accepted that the 3.7l will never get great gas mileage though.

I have the update on my Limited AWD. Colors and Logo are correct. I had the BE update applied at the dealership.

Could the update results differ based on the config of your Edge and if you applied BD before BE?

• Like 1

Add my story to the list:

2011 Ford Edge Limited (about 8 weeks old)

Right after delivery:

1. Could not connect iPod Classic (20 GB, color) via USB, only AUX.
  2. Backup camera would "roll" occasionally (like the old TV's that lost vertical sync)
  3. Phone (LG LX165) paired OK, but couldn't do text messaging via Bluetooth
  4. White screen once a week
  5. Rebooted (doing "system maintanence") three times
  6. After last reboot, black screen, no SYNC functions.
  7. SYNC finally died - would go into a "reboot loop" and then hang.
  8. No song titles or Album info for CD's
  9. WiFi will only add hotspots that broadcast their IDs. Once I add a hotspot, there's nothing much to do with it.

I took it into the dealer last Thursday, they kept if until this Tuesday, claiming "this was the first time for them dealing with this system".

Finally, they determined the APIM was bad and replaced it. While it was in the shop, I also told them to update the system to

SYNC GEN 2, like the syncmyride.com site was telling me to do. They did that as well and I picked it up Tuesday night.

Now:

1. 911 assist is non available
  2. SYNC Services (TDI, vehicle reports, etc) are gone.
  3. Still no titles or album info on the CD's
  4. Still no iPod via USB
  5. Still no text messaging support
  6. Have not had the backup camera roll yet
  7. No change on WiFi
  8. SYNC sometimes doesn't execute a command, e.g. "Radio ON", and nothing happens. It doesn't tell me to repeat, it just does nothing.
  9. Just once - the SYNC button on the steering wheel was unresponsive.

So I'm dealing with the most serious stuff first, e.g. the 911 assist and the SYNC Services. Ford Customer Care

is "investigating" and has promised me a call back in 24 to 48 hours. The dealer says they loaded all the software

that Ford told them to load, but obviously not. The syncmyride site says that I have SYNC GEN2, but no other applications

or packages.

Very frustrating, especially as I paid the first payment and I'm getting ready to send the second.

- Joe

An update - Ford Customer Care didn't help much. The call back I was promised after 24 to 48 hours never came and when

I called a second time, they had no knowledge of my previous call. When I described my issues (for the second time), I was told

simply to "take it back to the dealer".

I walked into the dealer, unannounced, last week and complained about everything. I asked them

to contact Ford *before* I bring the car back and find out exactly what to do, so I don't have to leave it for multiple days while

they wait for their tech support to get back to them. Apparently, Ford tech support won't deal with them unless they have the

vehicle in house and a service order written up. And Ford's best advice: bring the car back in and try to reload the software again.

So that's what I'm doing tomorrow.

By the way, the voice control is slowly getting worse. I said "Radio On" and "Audio On" multiple times this morning while

watching the screen. Each time, it displayed "succeeded" in the lower left, momentarily switched to the radio display (with the

radio presets), and then switched back to the "radio off" mode. I had to use the touch screen to turn the radio on.

And the other day, I said "Set temperature 72 degrees", to which it responded "Did you say, 'set tem-PRA-chore to 72 degrees'?"

The emphasis on "PRA" was extreme and I was laughing so hard I nearly drove off the road. It sounded almost like a parrot:

"AWK! tem-PRA-chore!" Later in the day - it happened again! TWICE!

If I didn't laugh at this, I'd cry.

An update - Ford Customer Care didn't help much. The call back I was promised after 24 to 48 hours never came and when

I called a second time, they had no knowledge of my previous call. When I described my issues (for the second time), I was told

simply to "take it back to the dealer".

I walked into the dealer, unannounced, last week and complained about everything. I asked them

to contact Ford *before* I bring the car back and find out exactly what to do, so I don't have to leave it for multiple days while

they wait for their tech support to get back to them. Apparently, Ford tech support won't deal with them unless they have the

vehicle in house and a service order written up. And Ford's best advice: bring the car back in and try to reload the software again.

So that's what I'm doing tomorrow.

By the way, the voice control is slowly getting worse. I said "Radio On" and "Audio On" multiple times this morning while

watching the screen. Each time, it displayed "succeeded" in the lower left, momentarily switched to the radio display (with the

radio presets), and then switched back to the "radio off" mode. I had to use the touch screen to turn the radio on.

And the other day, I said "Set temperature 72 degrees", to which it responded "Did you say, 'set tem-PRA-chore to 72 degrees'?"

The emphasis on "PRA" was extreme and I was laughing so hard I nearly drove off the road. It sounded almost like a parrot:

"AWK! tem-PRA-chore!" Later in the day - it happened again! TWICE!

If I didn't laugh at this, I'd cry.

Mention that there is a TSB that addresses this. They should be able to pull up the TSB that tells them to update the software.

• Like 1

I just got back from a trip to my Dealer. Totally unrelated, but while there I asked the Service Manager about their experience with the update. He asked about what issues I was having. I have been one of the lucky ones and have very few issues and none recently, (sound is me knocking on wood). He said the update has fixed issues for many and created other or new issues for some. His recommendation was NOT to get the update unless I was having serious issues. He felt it best to wait for an update to the update. I know many of you HAVE had serious issues and I suppose for those, doing the update makes sense. Curious if anyone else has had a similar recommendation from their dealer. I was going to wait for a while anyway since my issues are few. Guess I will be waiting longer now.

Only wanted to add that he said it MAY be fine or it MAY create problems I did not have previously.

Oh, I don't know about that. My MKX was great other than the night light which was really no big deal. I took it in for the update which did fix the night light and everything continues to function perfectly.

• Like 1

Mention that there is a TSB that addresses this. They should be able to pull up the TSB that tells them to update the software.

I don't know if it is the same for the Edge as the MKX, but I know there is TSB 10-24-09 as well as Recall 10-B20. I got that from Ford Sync national 800 number to make sure the dealer validates that all steps for both the TSB and Recall are done.

Some more good news for my system, the USB Audio that never worked is now working, so is the voice commands for it. Also, for the first time I got in the car (after leaving while using BT Audio) and the car picked up the phone, and started playing BT Audio from it. So I think the latest USB Firmware update made things a bit better. I think maybe 1-2 more updates from ford, and it will work the way it should have a couple months ago.

Last 4 gripes -

1. Overall system speed

2. Lincoln logo on my ford edge home screen

3. Ambient lights not correct in the menu

4. When I hit quick dial, it shows a menu for like 5 second telling me how to set a quick dial, even though I have not more quick dial space... it should be called quick dial for a reason, not waste my time telling me about it.

I think there might be other little things, but those are the ones I care about. Liking the system more each day..

I have the update on my Limited AWD. Colors and Logo are correct. I had the BE update applied at the dealership.

Could the update results differ based on the config of your Edge and if you applied BD before BE?

Not sure what you mean BE or BD.

Here is my confirmed updates.

Sync Version Gen2 - V1.1.1

Confirmed installations

BT4T-14D546-AG

BT4T-14D546-DA

BT4T-14F496-AG

BT4T-14F496-BG

BT4T-14F497-AG

BT4T-14F603-AG

Thanks