2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

akirby

Getting my APIM replaced on Friday.......really hoping that things go smoothly.

Talked to my dealership yesterday (small dealer) and they have done a couple just recently without a hitch. Mine is still in Nova Scotia and won't be on the Island until next Wednesday. Unfortunately I'll be in Washington DC & Fairfax for a few weeks so won't get to see or drive it until the latter part of Feb. They promised me all the updates/upgrades will be done by the time I get back.

Unfortunately there aren't a huge amount of these in Alaska yet so I am pretty sure I am one of a handful to get done, so.... fingers crossed. and toes.

Feel your pain, I was one of the first to get the update at my dealer. Needless to say they screwed it up the first time. Finally did get it right. If the dealer does his homework and is prepared, the update goes fairly well. Just make sure your check everything before you leave the dealership. Make sure the Navigation system (if equipped), and other options are functional.

Feel your pain, I was one of the first to get the update at my dealer. Needless to say they screwed it up the first time. Finally did get it right. If the dealer does his homework and is prepared, the update goes fairly well. Just make sure your check everything before you leave the dealership. Make sure the Navigation system (if equipped), and other options are functional.

Luckily they DIDN'T even try. Dealership is still having problems with the upgrade on cars in stock and have been working on one for 2 1/2 weeks now and had to order new parts, so they decided not to try on mine. As, I specifically asked about that when I made my appointment, I am trying to get a tank of gas out of them for the troubles of leaving my car for a day.

So - it will be at least a month now before mine gets done as February is all ready too busy for being without my car - it will wait.

Shane - hope yours goes better on Friday.

Luckily they DIDN'T even try. Dealership is still having problems with the upgrade on cars in stock and have been working on one for 2 1/2 weeks now and had to order new parts, so they decided not to try on mine. As, I specifically asked about that when I made my appointment, I am trying to get a tank of gas out of them for the troubles of leaving my car for a day.

So - it will be at least a month now before mine gets done as February is all ready too busy for being without my car - it will wait.

Shane - hope yours goes better on Friday.

Actually, that was probably the best thing they could have done. My dealer didn't start practicing on cars in stock until after they screwed mine up. Took them almost 2 weeks to get comfortable with the upgrade. Let them learn on their own cars and then do yours right. After their practice sessions my upgrade was okay and is working correctly.

I did get a fill up out of the dealer!

I went for my upgrade today. Now they're saying that they have ordered a new APIM and called me back up there to pick up a loaner/free rental. I check my account on syncmyride.com and it says:

Type Name Version Description Status Date

BT4T-14D544-AJ Gen2 - V1.8 SYNC GEN 2 IMAGE CI 1/26/2011

BT4T-14D544-AJ Gen2 - V1.8 SYNC GEN 2 IMAGE CI 11/15/2010

BT4T-14D544-AJ Gen2 - V1.8 SYNC GEN 2 IMAGE CI 11/4/2010

Hell that's not even the darn update that they're trying unsuccessfully to upgrade with... :/

The tech guy tried to tell me when I got there that there wasn't a new version available yet. I'm breathing deeply and giving them their shot. I hope I don't need to find another dealer after I get my car back.

I went for my upgrade today. Now they're saying that they have ordered a new APIM and called me back up there to pick up a loaner/free rental. I check my account on syncmyride.com and it says:

Type Name Version Description Status Date

BT4T-14D544-AJ Gen2 - V1.8 SYNC GEN 2 IMAGE CI 11/15/2010

Hell that's not even the darn update that they're trying unsuccessfully to upgrade with... :/

The tech guy tried to tell me when I got there that there wasn't a new version available yet. I'm breathing deeply and giving them their shot. I hope I don't need to find another dealer after I get my car back.

what a mor....!! It's amazing how Lost some of these dealers are.

Start looking for another dealer for service. It's clear that your's has no clue.

The common fix for NOT being able to update a APIM is to order an AIPM already updated.

• Like 1

If you pulled the fuse 29 inside the vehicle next to your left foot, keep it out and run the vehicle a few miles. Now re-installl it and it should boot up. Good luck . It worked every time for me. Fuse 29 is a yellow 20 amp fuse.

No fuse pulling was going to help my situation. It was dead to the world. I am lucky enough to have a dealer 1 mile from my house and another that is .5 miles from my office. Being that i paid for the car and the extended warrenty when its not performing up to my expectaions i take to the dealer get a loaner and be on my way. Its a bit irritating but the upside is i put miles on there car and not mine..

I have a question. I got the Gen 2 update and things seem OK, but I still have a concern because after I start my car, when I press the steering wheel sync button, the system does not respond unless the car has been running for at least about a minute. Had this same problem from before the update. Is this typical?

Actually, that was probably the best thing they could have done. My dealer didn't start practicing on cars in stock until after they screwed mine up. Took them almost 2 weeks to get comfortable with the upgrade. Let them learn on their own cars and then do yours right. After their practice sessions my upgrade was okay and is working correctly.

I did get a fill up out of the dealer!

Yes, I am very happy about them not doing it. There was just some frustrations with how it was handled. I just got off the phone with the service manager and he is great. Explained to me that everyday all day long, ford is changing the upload version. They are up to version 73 this morning. So they start trying to get a download onto a jump drive and it is different by the time they are complete. Even gone to a different location to try a different internet connection and nada - They have done one successful update in two and half weeks and currently have one car with the dash all torn apart.

Just for the trouble, next time I will get my first oil change, a tank of gas, and a wash on them.

Yes, I am very happy about them not doing it. There was just some frustrations with how it was handled. I just got off the phone with the service manager and he is great. Explained to me that everyday all day long, ford is changing the upload version. They are up to version 73 this morning. So they start trying to get a download onto a jump drive and it is different by the time they are complete. Even gone to a different location to try a different internet connection and nada - They have done one successful update in two and half weeks and currently have one car with the dash all torn apart.

Just for the trouble, next time I will get my first oil change, a tank of gas, and a wash on them.

This is where I'm a bit confused by all of this.

My dealer did my update back in December and everything is fine. There haven't been any announced dealer updates that I'm aware of since that time and my system is running well. So this claim about a new update since they downloaded the last one seems at best a bit lame on the dealers part. I suppose I would question the dealers competency and be a bit apprehensive about letting them do a simple oil change.

This is where I'm a bit confused by all of this.

My dealer did my update back in December and everything is fine. There haven't been any announced dealer updates that I'm aware of since that time and my system is running well. So this claim about a new update since they downloaded the last one seems at best a bit lame on the dealers part. I suppose I would question the dealers competency and be a bit apprehensive about letting them do a simple oil change.

There was a update after the December update. It was 2.4 BE and was posted for a short time on the SYNC site before it was pulled. It was called a service pack when I installed it and according to the Sync forum it was not intended to be a user installed update. The December update was 2.3 BD. Also, if you look at some of the suffixes on users upgrades posted on this forum you will see differences. My dealer also told me that they were getting minor updates frequently the last time I was in for service. I do question a new update while they are downloading. Sounds like the dealer does not have a good connection or Ford is again having server problems.

Check your Sync history and see if you have 2.3 or 2.4. I think 2.4 BE is the latest and is what is currently being installed at the dealers.

My December update was to 2.3 BD and the downloaded update changed it to 2.4 BE.

I wish Ford would give the end user some clarity on the alphabet soup they are dishing out and would post something on the SYNC site or to the dealer to let people know what is the latest.

Edited by curlysir

I have a question. I got the Gen 2 update and things seem OK, but I still have a concern because after I start my car, when I press the steering wheel sync button, the system does not respond unless the car has been running for at least about a minute. Had this same problem from before the update. Is this typical?

I have the same issue with mine although it seems to happen sporadically and not just when it's only been on for less than a minute. I just wait a few seconds and try again...normally it works the 2nd time around.

I have the same issue with mine although it seems to happen sporadically and not just when it's only been on for less than a minute. I just wait a few seconds and try again...normally it works the 2nd time around.

Much like Windows... in my opinion and from my experience, it takes about 60-90 seconds for everything to boot each time I turn on the car. As long as I wait that 60-90 seconds before using anything connected to Sync/MFT then I have no problems... but, much like with my Windows experience, if I try to operate anything before it is completely booted up then it is either non-responsive, or otherwise tempermental until the next reboot.

Finally had the Sync Gen 2 v2.4 update done today. I had waited 7 weeks for my dealer to figure out how to do it. When I dropped my MKX off, they told me that the chances of success were 60/40 (not sure which side of 60/40 was the good side). Well it appears they were successful with the update although I am far from impressed as to the end result.

I had read several reports here of the system being noticeably faster and more responsive after the update. Well I don't know how this could be measured but I can assure you that my system hasn't been improved in this regard in the least. It feels exactly as it was before the update, which is to say, slow and unresponsive. Press the button and wait. If after waiting 2-3 seconds and nothing happens, press it again. Sigh.

I've lost 2 of my 7 ambient colours. All the colours appear on the colour selector but two of them are duplicates when selected (a blue and a green I believe).

The main 4 function colours have changed but the colours do match between the 4" and 8" screens so that's fine.

No increased functionality that I could find. Well except for the fact that the audio on my Android 2.2 phone can work via bluetooth now. By work, I mean it can play ONE SONG over and over while providing no access to move to any of the hundreds of other songs on my phone (no fast forward, rewind, browse or description). Sigh.

Never noticed it before and it might not be new but I see I have the capability to delete phonebook pictures. That's great - except that it never displays phonebook pictures in the first place. I see the programmers didn't bother fixing any more than they absolutely had to - the removed before release function "Audio Visualizer" still appears briefly on screen when going into the Audio options menu. It's little things like this that make the system seem sloppy and Ford seem lazy.

• Like 1

Other than the occasional hearing test ( full volume up, then full volume down when using steering wheel control), things seem to be working good. So far, this has only happened with me in the car as I am sure it would scare the stuffing out of passengers. I have had the update for several weeks now

There was a update after the December update. It was 2.4 BE and was posted for a short time on the SYNC site before it was pulled. It was called a service pack when I installed it and according to the Sync forum it was not intended to be a user installed update. The December update was 2.3 BD. Also, if you look at some of the suffixes on users upgrades posted on this forum you will see differences. My dealer also told me that they were getting minor updates frequently the last time I was in for service. I do question a new update while they are downloading. Sounds like the dealer does not have a good connection or Ford is again having server problems.

Check your Sync history and see if you have 2.3 or 2.4. I think 2.4 BE is the latest and is what is currently being installed at the dealers.

My December update was to 2.3 BD and the downloaded update changed it to 2.4 BE.

I wish Ford would give the end user some clarity on the alphabet soup they are dishing out and would post something on the SYNC site or to the dealer to let people know what is the latest.

Mine is 2.4 but like you, I did it myself while it was on the site.

Maybe they should just release them all to the public and let us take care of ourselves, I think we're doing a better job than the dealers.

Well,

I've been gone for a bit,because my sync has been OK, aside from a few usb hiccups. Now my Nav has stopped working. It will not read the SD Card, and when the SD card is in, the whole system runs really slow. I was going to go to the dealer today, but the weather is not the best, so I will wait till later this week. I'm getting a bit annoyed with the system because the total group of problems that have surfaced show how little this system was tested. I'll post back after I find out the problem.

Well,

I've been gone for a bit,because my sync has been OK, aside from a few usb hiccups. Now my Nav has stopped working. It will not read the SD Card, and when the SD card is in, the whole system runs really slow. I was going to go to the dealer today, but the weather is not the best, so I will wait till later this week. I'm getting a bit annoyed with the system because the total group of problems that have surfaced show how little this system was tested. I'll post back after I find out the problem.

The update is a big improvement and you will be happier after you get it.

Touch still needs help though

Edited by wilsons66604
  • Like 1

Four weeks and less than 600 miles and we are having problems. Screen goes black and then does a constant rebooting. Today husband took it to the dealer, and of course, nothing was acting up. He left it anyway, and they checked it out and said everything was up to date and working fine. This afternoon I picked it up from the service department, and on the way home, it started doing the same thing. It dawned on me that my husband didn't have his phone synced to the system, so I turned off my phone, and everything started working like a charm.

Can anyone help me with what might be going on? I want to have something to back me up when I go back to the dealer. BTW, I called the service writer on my way home and told him it had started all over again. He seems to be at a loss.

Thanks for your help!