Ford's Solution To The Wind Noise!

blankster

I just picked up my 2011 Ford Edge LTD AWD and the sideview mirrors are completely changed. Thet are smaller more aerodynamic and less square/angular. I believe I read somewhere Job #2 on the 2011 Edge began with production starting 2/2/11 which means fixes/updates are applied. I suspect the wind noise issue was determined to be associated to the previous design mirror and this new one addressed that issue. I will post pictures when I have some time.

We just picked up our limited today and it has the mirror insert. VIN is less than A96000. Do you think it's possible that BLIS mirror is different? We don't have the BLIS.

Where you have the small mirror I have a LED light that illuminates when something is in my blind side. Look at my pictures and compare it to your mirror especially where the mirror attaches to the door by the side window. the molding is now a gradual flair out and not a sharp bump (air deflector)

Edited by blankster

• 3 weeks later...

I like the look of the mirrors however I do like the integrated little blind spot mirror.

I agree, but they don't mix the 2. I wish you could get BLIS and the blind spot mirror. You get one or the other. BLIS is neat, but I honestly think that the mirror is more practical. I have BLIS and wish I had the mirror.

I agree, but they don't mix the 2. I wish you could get BLIS and the blind spot mirror. You get one or the other. BLIS is neat, but I honestly think that the mirror is more practical. I have BLIS and wish I had the mirror.

If you adjust your mirrors like Click & Clack the Tappit Brothers suggest, you'll find that you really don't need the spot mirrors.

The idea is to adjust them outward so you don't see your own car in the mirror. It works for me.

If you adjust your mirrors like Click & Clack the Tappit Brothers suggest, you'll find that you really don't need the spot mirrors.

The idea is to adjust them outward so you don't see your own car in the mirror. It works for me.

Exactly. I keep telling people that I don't have any blind spots because I adjust my mirrors correctly and I always glance over my shoulder as a backup. Works every time.

I've set my mirrors using the same method too. Last week, when temps actually started warming up around here I watched a bike for about a half mile come down the left lane next to me. He stayed on the outer part of the lane, but the BLIS system never picked him up. The moral, pay attention to the mirros and look behind you no tursting just the mirros and BLIS.

Edited by rwolson

I've set my mirrors using the same method too. Last week, when temps actually started warming up around here I watched a bike for about a half mile come down the left lane next to me. He stayed on the outer part of the lane, but the BLIS system never picked him up. The moral, pay attention to the mirros and look behind you no tursting just the mirros and BLIS.

Thanks for the review on the BLIS functionality. I was contemplating adding the options, but I actually like the Blind Spot Mirror on the standard set. I guess I won't be check that box off since it seems like it won't replace a good ol fashioned visual check.

Thanks for the review on the BLIS functionality. I was contemplating adding the options, but I actually like the Blind Spot Mirror on the standard set. I guess I won't be check that box off since it seems like it won't replace a good ol fashioned visual check.

BLIS is more that the little light in the side mirrors. There is cross traffic alert also. It's pretty cool.

Watch the video on http://www.ford.com/crossovers/edge/

BLIS is a great technology, but you still need to pay attention to whose around you. BLIS saved me one time because someone changed lanes after I checked several times. Just when I started moving over the light came on and car goes flying by. I'd seen him in the other lane when I checked several times.

My point in my previous update, watch for bikes especially when they trave on the outside l in the lane next to you. A lot of bikers will travel on the edges of lanes so they can see ahead and bail if necessary. They're a smaller vehicle and BLIS may not aquire them like a larger car. Also, just looked at my spelling in my other update; horrible! :banghead: