Brake question - New edge owner

Hi everyone, I am looking to purchase a Ford Edge. My wife and I have our eye on a Black one. 2008, Limited AWD. Has 55,000km. We are purchasing it used from a dealer near us.

To pass safety, we are told it needs new brakes and rotors.

Is this normal at 55,000km (not miles)? I know it all depends on how the previous person drove it. I am trying to guage if the person was a hard driver because the brakes already need to be changed. Or is this normal for the Edges to need brakes around 55,000/60,000km?

Thanks everyone.

Hi everyone, I am looking to purchase a Ford Edge. My wife and I have our eye on a Black one. 2008, Limited AWD. Has 55,000km. We are purchasing it used from a dealer near us.

Is this normal at 55,000km (not miles)? I know it all depends on how the previous person drove it. I am trying to guage if the person was a hard driver because the brakes already need to be changed. Or is this normal for the Edges to need brakes around 55,000/60,000km?

Thanks everyone.

Probably a LEFT FOOT braker.

I bet they got REALLY bad gas millage.

Our 08 has 47K miles (not km's) and does not need pads or rotors.

But I'm hard on the gas and easy on the brakes.

ab

Thanks everyone.

Hi Twizted. :D Impossible to say with any certainty, since as you stated "...it all depends on the how the previous person drove it". Best Internet guessing? It could be considered within the norm if the vehicle was driven almost exclusively in stop-and-go traffic/city driving, since obviously that will be much harder on brakes than "all-highway" miles. If the majority of its driving was highway miles with minimal stop-and-go type driving, then I would consider it to be a bit soon for brakes. But there is no way to tell for sure.

And since you are purchasing from a Dealer, you can't even ask the owner what type of driving the vehicle saw (not that the owners answers can always be trusted either).

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Replacing the pads is easy, and the rotors aren't much harder.

If you buy it, I'd recommend getting new rotors and ceramic pads from Advance Auto Parts. I always order online with one of the discount codes they send to my email (far too often) or at least the "P20" 20% off code that always works.

Good luck :)

• Like 1

I replaced all 4 rotors and pads front/rear at 50,000. The rears didn't really need pads but I like doing everything at once. Some people on here have had pads replaced at 20,000 and some are at 60,000 + with original pads/rotors. Have them replace the pads/rotors before you buy it. Just another bargaining tool.

I replaced all 4 rotors and pads front/rear at 50,000. The rears didn't really need pads but I like doing everything at once. Some people on here have had pads replaced at 20,000 and some are at 60,000 + with original pads/rotors. Have them replace the pads/rotors before you buy it. Just another bargaining tool.

DId you do the job youself? Is the special piston push in toll required? or can a standard clamp be used?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably a LEFT FOOT braker.

I bet they got REALLY bad gas millage.

Our 08 has 47K miles (not km's) and does not need pads or rotors.

But I'm hard on the gas and easy on the brakes.

ab

I'm a left foot breaker. My 2009 Edge has 58,000 on it now.

I check the brake pad thickness every time I rotate my tires.

I do not need brake pads yet. The factory pads have never been replaced.

OBTW I have never seen brake dust on the front wheels.

I'm a left foot breaker. My 2009 Edge has 58,000 on it now.

I check the brake pad thickness every time I rotate my tires.

I do not need brake pads yet. The factory pads have never been replaced.

OBTW I have never seen brake dust on the front wheels.

Then you obviously don't rest your left foot on the brake pedal like some other LFB.

But I have to ask - why?