oil change? 5.5 quarts?

rrose

Hey guys.... just did the first oil change on my new 2011 ford edge (3.5L). Probably one of the easiest cars I've ever done! Got a quick question for those of you that change your own oil. The Book says it will take 5.5 quarts to fill it up. I put exactly 5.5 quarts in it and it was showing just above the bottom dot. Anyone else experience this? I ended up putting the last half quart in it (for a total of 6) and now it shows right below the top dot.... like it should. I'm curious if anyone else as noticed this.

BTW..... my computer showed 26% left at 7500 miles.

Not that a half a quart of oil is going to hurt anything, but you are putting your trust in that the dipstick is more acurate than the amount the engineers quoted for full.

Whatever the dipstick is showing after 5.5 qts would be full. Where it shows on the dipstick is your reference. Again, if you are more comfortable with the dipstick looking right instead of the known amount of oil you put in, I think there would be no harm done.

• Like 1

Not that a half a quart of oil is going to hurt anything, but you are putting your trust in that the dipstick is more acurate than the amount the engineers quoted for full.

Whatever the dipstick is showing after 5.5 qts would be full. Where it shows on the dipstick is your reference. Again, if you are more comfortable with the dipstick looking right instead of the known amount of oil you put in, I think there would be no harm done.

So, what's the use of having a dipstick? When it shows the oil to be on the "add" mark, will you add 1 qt. or just 1/2 qt? Adding a full qt. will put it to the full mark on the dipstick. At 5.5 qts, you have to store the extra 1/2 till the next change or add it when anf if the level goes down to the add mark. Why not simply start at the full mark and not worry about it?

So, what's the use of having a dipstick? When it shows the oil to be on the "add" mark, will you add 1 qt. or just 1/2 qt? Adding a full qt. will put it to the full mark on the dipstick. At 5.5 qts, you have to store the extra 1/2 till the next change or add it when anf if the level goes down to the add mark. Why not simply start at the full mark and not worry about it?

Did you read what I posted or just go knee jerk?

Did you read what I posted or just go knee jerk?

Gee, I guess your comment covered it all--- I never should have ever put my 2 cents worth in---

It all depends upon how you want to utilize the dipstick. I personally like to see the oil on the full mark for a reference. If you like 5.5 qts, why not make your own mark on the dipstick at that level? Oil helps cool the engine, so I like as much as practical. As long as it is not above the full mark on the dipstick it will be a help to dissipate heat.

• Like 1

Gee, I guess your comment covered it all--- I never should have ever put my 2 cents worth in---

It all depends upon how you want to utilize the dipstick. I personally like to see the oil on the full mark for a reference. If you like 5.5 qts, why not make your own mark on the dipstick at that level? Oil helps cool the engine, so I like as much as practical. As long as it is not above the full mark on the dipstick it will be a help to dissipate heat.

I agree.

As stated, I do not think a half qt would hurt anything, but over filling can increase the possibility of aerating the oil.

• 1 month later...

I too have been filling with 6 qts to get to the dipstick full mark on my 2011 Edge. However, at 20K I checked and replaced my air filter, and found a considerable amount (more than a tablespoon) of oil pooled up inside the intake tube. It was clearly being drawn in from the breather tube connected to the top of the valve cover. Cleaned it all out, and changed oil using 5.75 qts (middle of the crosshatch area). I too am conditioned to see the oil above the 'add' mark. I'll see if it makes a difference.

I too have been filling with 6 qts to get to the dipstick full mark on my 2011 Edge. However, at 20K I checked and replaced my air filter, and found a considerable amount (more than a tablespoon) of oil pooled up inside the intake tube. It was clearly being drawn in from the breather tube connected to the top of the valve cover. Cleaned it all out, and changed oil using 5.75 qts (middle of the crosshatch area). I too am conditioned to see the oil above the 'add' mark. I'll see if it makes a difference.

Sounds like you are building up crankcase pressure. Your oil level shouldn't have anyeffect on what you are experiencing. I have 40K on mine and always have used 6 qts for the change and at each oil change, I inspect and clean the air filter and hev never seen any indication of oil in the filter housing. Check your PCV valve.

It comes down to “who you going to believe?”

Someone with a Masters Degree or somebody who found a stick (dip) lying on the ground and stuck it in your motor.

I’m wondering if the manufacturing tolerance is as close on a DIP stick as the oil pan.

This leads to the next question.

Is there anyone out there reading this and thinking “ hhmm I didn’t read the manual, have used 5 quarts in every car I’ve owned and 5 quarts shows FULL in my new Edge.”

ab

Here is my 2 cents. Maybe the engineer stated the oil pan holds 5.5 quarts but didn't think to include that the oil filter holds about half a quart. So that's what was printed in the manual and since no one questioned the engineer the fact that the oil filter holds about half a quart was not considered.

Hum...

I just purchased my edge about 3 weeks ago and haven't done an oil change yet, but I will pay close attention to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually you are putting your trust in the technical writer that wrote the manual versus the engineer that designed the dipstick along with the rest of the engine. The choice is yours to believe which person was right.

Actually you are putting your trust in the technical writer that wrote the manual versus the engineer that designed the dipstick along with the rest of the engine. The choice is yours to believe which person was right.

Lots of times, the manual is written prior to the vehicle being in production. Some minor changes never get into the manual till the second or third printing. Half a quart of oil one way or the other is not going to hurt anything, and as I previously stated, I like to see the dipstick show full, so I use 6 quarts. The extra oil helps to cool the engine.

Lots of times, the manual is written prior to the vehicle being in production. Some minor changes never get into the manual till the second or third printing. Half a quart of oil one way or the other is not going to hurt anything, and as I previously stated, I like to see the dipstick show full, so I use 6 quarts. The extra oil helps to cool the engine.

Too much extra oil can cause cavitation in the crankcase and rob power.

Too much will absolutely do that, but having it show as full on the dipstick is all we are discussing--- and that's only 1/2 qt above the book recommendation.

I know. That was more for someone who might read the "more oil provides better cooling" and think it's ok to add even more.

• 3 months later...

OK--- I'll bet there are folks who would really take that as it being OK to fill it till it overflows from the dipstick tube! :wacko:

Ok hi all!! New here and my first post so be gentle :hysterical: Just did the first change on my new 2012 Limited with the 3.5. The 2012 owners manual now say 6 qts with filter change. I've done my own oil changes for 30+ years so this one was easy. I put in 6qts of Motorcraft FULL synthetic and it was right at the full mark on the dipstick. The 3.5 in the Fusion DOES hold 5.5 so I'm guessing Ford corrected the owners manuals on the Edge. Great site by the way, hope I can contribute!

Why did Ford have to change the dipsticks to begin with since they used to have a marking for "Full" and a marking for "Add"? Now, there are those stupid two circles that cause confusion. I am active on other auto forums, and this same topic has come up before. My wife and I own an 07' Ford Edge 3.5L V6 and an 08' Ranger 3.0 L V6. I believe that the Ranger takes 5 quarts, but the owner's manual does say for the Edge "5.5 Quarts". I always check the oil level after a day or so following an oil change, and for both vehicles it seems that the oil is below the top mark (more so for the Edge). I was told that the "Full Line" is actually below the top line, and if oil were to reach the top, then it is past full. This makes checking the oil confusing, since full is actually between the two. I have also been told that I was a quart low once in the Ranger. I do travel mostly highway, so is it possible that I burned a quart? Seems a little unlikely in 3000 miles to burn a quart (under 55,000 miles).

Ok hi all!! New here and my first post so be gentle :hysterical: Just did the first change on my new 2012 Limited with the 3.5. The 2012 owners manual now say 6 qts with filter change. I've done my own oil changes for 30+ years so this one was easy. I put in 6qts of Motorcraft FULL synthetic and it was right at the full mark on the dipstick. The 3.5 in the Fusion DOES hold 5.5 so I'm guessing Ford corrected the owners manuals on the Edge. Great site by the way, hope I can contribute!

My 2012 Edge with 3.5 says 6 quarts or 5.7 L also.

Just wanted to share my experience with this... 5.5 quarts put me right on the lower dot in my 2011 limited when i changed the oil. Called the dealer to get a definative answer. Service tech said that 5.5 quarts that is listed in the manual is for the oil pan only and doesnt compensate for the oil that is in the oil filter, hence the low reading. He told me that they put in 6 quarts in all the edge's they do. Also said the new manual now say 6 quarts because of the confusion the 11 manuals caused... I put in the other half quart and now it reads just below the top dot in the hatch marks.