Anyone Sorry they did or did not get Nav?

chanka98

Hi all,

I'm looking at a 2011 Edge Sport, basically loaded, only because I may be able to "steal it". Before this I was looking at a Limited w/out Nav as I have a nice portable Garmin that I love. So, I was wondering if anyone who has Nav is sorry they got it and if anyone who DIDN'T get Nav is sorry they didn't. Thanks! Great Forum....I hope I never have to post as a frustrated Edge owner!!

Your Garmin will be better. Not having an extra device is nice, but the updateableness (is that a word?) of a Garmin is better then the over priced crap that you get with the car. Mine works well, but the maps are out of date and no one can tell me when there will be an update and how much they will charge for it.

Your Garmin will be better. Not having an extra device is nice, but the updateableness (is that a word?) of a Garmin is better then the over priced crap that you get with the car. Mine works well, but the maps are out of date and no one can tell me when there will be an update and how much they will charge for it.

No Way the ford Nav is the best I had many diff cars with NAV I love the Ford Nav the best they use nice colours.

I would guess that maps in Florida on it are more current then maps in Alaska - we are often forgotten about. The picture is pretty - my does work fine if you don't mind the car symbol driving a quarter of an inch off of most roads. I do prefer and like that I don't have an added device on my dash, just wish that it was as easy to update as my husbands garmin.

I have a 2011 edge sport AWD without NAV. I thought i was going to really regret not getting it but actually im still totally happy i didnt. Sync directions work awsome. I added a factory navigation system to my last car and after a year or so the maps became nearly useless. I found updated map dvds on ebay but i just couldnt justify the cost.

Thanks for the additional feedback. I'm wondering too if MFT would be more stable if it didn't have to run NAV?

One of the biggest areas that was improved with MFT2.11 was the integration with NAV. Prior to 2.8 the system would tend to just hang when the NAV system got busy. With 2.8 they built in more watchdog timers that would kick the system into a reboot if it became unresponsive due to NAV interaction. With 2.11, they addressed a lot of those issues.

I just upgraded to 2.11 yesterday so not enough time on the road yet to tell if there were any significant improvements in this area.

As far as your original question goes - the integration is OK and the Sync Services are nice, but it is one ugly NAV system - bad fonts, poor UI. I don't necessarily regret getting it because I don't use it that much, but if I had to depend on it, I'd probably stick with a Garmin.

Thanks for the additional feedback. I'm wondering too if MFT would be more stable if it didn't have to run NAV?

Honestly, I don't see the value that I paid for.

I pay nothing to Google and the Maps on my phone are fantastic. Maybe Microsoft/Ford should start serving ads when you shut of the vehicle. That way they'll have revenue and not have to resort to this NavTeq crap.

(I kid, I kid) poke.gif

Honestly, I don't see the value that I paid for.

I pay nothing to Google and the Maps on my phone are fantastic. Maybe Microsoft/Ford should start serving ads when you shut of the vehicle. That way they'll have revenue and not have to resort to this NavTeq crap.

(I kid, I kid) poke.gif

LOL...yeah, your're kidding, but meanwhile, some young go-getter at Ford just read your comment and is pitching the idea to the CEO as we speak!!!!

But, it sounds like if I can get a deal on a vehicle that happens to have NAV it wouldn't be a terrible thing to get, as long as I have my Garmin to rely on. Thanks for all of the input...I love this forum!!

Edited by chanka98
  • Like 1

I was disappointed that the maps were really outdated especially here in the OH/PA area. I-376 still shows up as Route 60 and the exits are all incorrect as well. When sending a map from either Mapquest of Google maps - the route you planned and sent to your system are not the same. Only the destination is true, disappointing since as most of us know that nav systems don't always use the best routes. Would I buy it again? No choice as it was bundled with the 301 package, if I had the choice, I would stick with my old Garmin.

... Mine works well, but the maps are out of date and no one can tell me when there will be an update and how much they will charge for it.

I don't know if my dealer was BSing me but he told me that the maps will be updated annually and the cost was $40. He said you wouldnt have to get one every year if you didn't want to but if you were planning a trip would be a good idea to get the updated maps.

ETA: Heres some pics of the box mine came in.

post-17630-0-10244700-1313071183_thumb.jpg

post-17630-0-89765000-1313071197_thumb.jpg

Edited by seabee78

I don't know if my dealer was BSing me but he told me that the maps will be updated annually and the cost was $40. He said you wouldnt have to get one every year if you didn't want to but if you were planning a trip would be a good idea to get the updated maps.

ETA: Heres some pics of the box mine came in.

Yep - that is the same box I have. I have talked to both Ford customer support and NavTec and both say they are waiting on the other, but no word on any updates. I have had my car since September 2010 so annually would be about now...

Did not have built in nav in my 2008 or my current 2011 edge. Could not justify the additional cost for outdated info that is costly to update. Just like cal3thousand, I use google maps navigation on my android phone. Works great almost all of the time. The only exception is when there is no cellphone signal in rural areas, but I can live with that.

I regret that the navigation was packaged with other options I desired so that I had to include it on my MKX. I have had a variety of Garmin units so it's pretty easy for me to make a comparison. For my location and for my purposes this is an awful navigation system. In fact if I'm going somewhere where I know I am going to have to rely on navigation, I have to remember to bring along my old Garmin 760.

I fully expect it would be much more useful in larger American population centers but I do not spend any time in those regions. Map detail in rural areas is beyond dismal - it won't even show me provincial boundaries! There are very few POIs included for my area, manual map scrolling is crude and address lookup via voice almost never works. And no integration with the addresses included with my phone's phonebook was the last straw. I expect it will be a long time between map updates and that the cost of any update will be close to the purchase price of a superior hand-held.

Am currently considering getting a Garmin 3790. Smartphone running Google Maps is an option but I've never gotten comfortable using that in a moving vehicle and lack of a proper mounting system including speaker, GPS reception issues in areas without cell signal and a good daylight viewable screen dissuade me from going that route.

Edited by Ctrl-z

Newer crappy maps .. yay!

(sorry, I'm a bit pessimistic today)

LOL! I am in the market for an MKX, and my wife is looking at an Explorer. We both like the idea of integrated navigation, but the data on Ford's system stinks. There are numerous posts detailing how lame Telenav's data is on the Explorer forum we have been reading.

The lack of new roads is one thing, but that is always chasing a moving target, so I tend to give a bit more leeway there. But the worst aspect I have found in my research is how far off the maps will place a target address from the real address. It can be anywhere from a few dozen meters to a few blocks. It is pretty bad. In my own tests on Telenav's website, which I would assume would have the most up-to-date data, I was getting some pretty bad navigation advice. I tested addresses that were anywhere from 3 to 30 years old just outside of Houston, so I wasn't trying to find the most obscure addresses in the middle of nowhere.

In my experience, the maps and POI data is far inferior to the 2009 Navteq maps on my Garmin Nuvi. That's pretty lame in my opinion. Ford really needs to address this problem.

Not having a road or address on the Nav is inconvenient, but having it send you to the wrong place is not only less than useful, it is a hindrance!

• Like 1

LOL! I am in the market for an MKX, and my wife is looking at an Explorer. We both like the idea of integrated navigation, but the data on Ford's system stinks. There are numerous posts detailing how lame Telenav's data is on the Explorer forum we have been reading.

The lack of new roads is one thing, but that is always chasing a moving target, so I tend to give a bit more leeway there. But the worst aspect I have found in my research is how far off the maps will place a target address from the real address. It can be anywhere from a few dozen meters to a few blocks. It is pretty bad. In my own tests on Telenav's website, which I would assume would have the most up-to-date data, I was getting some pretty bad navigation advice. I tested addresses that were anywhere from 3 to 30 years old just outside of Houston, so I wasn't trying to find the most obscure addresses in the middle of nowhere.

In my experience, the maps and POI data is far inferior to the 2009 Navteq maps on my Garmin Nuvi. That's pretty lame in my opinion. Ford really needs to address this problem.

Not having a road or address on the Nav is inconvenient, but having it send you to the wrong place is not only less than useful, it is a hindrance!

After getting a reply from a Ford IVT (In Vehicle Technology) representative regarding an inquiry of mine, it appears that the map data comes from a company called Tele Atlas, a wholly owned subsidiary of TomTom. So now I am not sure how Telenav plays into this, if at all.

Edited by VinceL

I have a Limited with Nav, first car for me with built-in navigation. My system is upgraded to version 2.11. Also have various TomTom models, most recently purchased a 550TM for my wife's car.

To summarize: This Nav sucks!

1.- It takes way too long to boot up and accuracy is rediculous. When you plan a route before it has a good fix it will put you in the middle of nowhere and sometimes takes 15+ minutes to show you back on the right road. In general it seems to be over 100ft off when approaching intersections.

2.- UI is poor.

3.- Software is plain stupid. When trying to navigate to a POI it will list them in order of distance from your current location instead of the city you just defined. Try finding Target 50 miles away when its burried in a list of 30 Target stores with no indication of what city they are in.

4.- I keep getting Nav errors

5.- Traffic info is mostly useless since it only shows an incident, but not the expected delay. My TomTom550 will give an indication of the delay time and the traffic info is free.

6.- MFT seems to shut down at the most in-oportune moments.

7.- Voice interface does not recognize half the stuff I say.

8.- etc., etc., etc.

What I just don't get: there are many good stand-alone nav systems out there for not much money. How come the car companies can't integrate one of these very good systems and instead create their own junk and charge a lot of money.

I don't go anywhere without my Tomtom.

Bit late replying, haven't been on here all summer, but I have to comment and agree with you 100 percent. I have been a gps user since the first personal gps became available and have used dozens of them. The gps (built in's) in the cars are very poor. I have one in the edge and it's the only thing I regret paying extra for. I am a Garmin Nuvi user at present and hardly ever turn on the ford nav system.